New to Fitbit

Options
muziclver
muziclver Posts: 145 Member
I just bought a fitbit zip yesterday, and I got all signed up and everything for the website but my friend section is quite empty. lol

Any fitbit users out there that could use another friend?

my profile is: http://www.fitbit.com/user/292D5P

Also, I do have a question about the actual fitbit itself, how exactly does it track your steps and calories burned when it doesn't even monitor your pulse or anything?

Replies

• gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Gil. I have a fitbit one, I'm 26WS63.
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Added you as a friend on Fitbit! The link to my account is below if anybody else wants to add me! The Fitbits have an accelerometer in it that tracks movement. It is the same technology that you'll find in Wii remotes. It estimates your BRM from your height and weight, so it won't be as exact as a Bodyfit media, but it is generally close enough unless you suffer from a metabolic disease. I wear it and a HRM when I walk/run sometimes, and it is usually within 50 calories. It seems to err on the side of caution, which is fine for me. The only thing I wish it would do is to differentiate very active walking from running on the graph. It would just be nice to see a spurt of AWESOME for times I sprint! Hope you enjoy it!

http://www.fitbit.com/user/22RZXX

Rachel
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I bought one about a month ago, I'm not convinced I really "needed" it in hindsight. I keep it in my pocket throughout the day. What I've found is that it is not very accurate as it adds steps when I'm not even moving on my own, like at the desk, in the car, lounging on the chair, etc. I have it synced to my MFP account and the adjusted calorie count it deducts in my journal is a bit confusing and I really don't care to change the settings and add differing "activities" on the thing. It is what it is, and I guess anything that can provide any kind of motivation for a person to be active and mobile is better than the alternative ;-)