Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Big four; OHP, Bench, Squat, Deadlift. Build around them.
  • laownby
    laownby Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My gym has Body Pump classes several evenings per week. The class was great for me to get started lifting weights. I learned a lot and I liked the atmosphere and music in there.

Good luck!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters who mention Starting Strength or Stronglifts. You start with a weight you can handle and youtube videos on form. Read as much as you can and educate yourself on lifting and technique. It also wouldn't hurt to get a trainer to show you ropes, provided the trainer is decent and isn't going to deter you from lifting or from showing you the compound lifts. If you have any friends that are into lifting you can also recruit them to help you.The 5 big lifts are the ones to master and then once you become familiar with them (after quite some time of practicing and progressing) you can move on to other programs.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Be careful, the most time wasting thing a newbie can do is try to mix and match exercise they like, or just follow any given program that promises results (*cough*jamie eason*cough*).

^^
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has a lot of free workout plans, and expert advice. LiveFit Trainer by Jamie Eason is a good one to start with.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    I don't like the idea of suggesting squats and deadlifts for beginners because it is so easy to hurt yourself if you do not do those correctly. I still have problems with my lower back from injuring it squatting years ago. I would focus on very easy routines as a beginner. Over time you can build up. I have always gone too fast and done too much for me and then ended up hurting myself or I did not know how to do the move correctly even though I did read about form.

Getting a personal trainer a few times at first just to learn form is my advice because there are so many components to a move and often little things wrong in your form can get you injured. A few hours would not cost very much.

I couldn't disagree more. Buy the Starting Strength book, read it exhaustively, and use YouTube resources to research form. All of these programs stress exhaustively how important it is to nail form before you progress in weight, so if you are following them AS WRITTEN, potential for injury is miniscule.

And most trainers aren't worth the paper their certs are printed on. I heard a trainer in my current gym tell a guy that deadlifts weren't supposed to be a back exercise. Two sets later he told the client they weren't a leg exercise, either. Dafuq.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of suggesting squats and deadlifts for beginners because it is so easy to hurt yourself if you do not do those correctly. I still have problems with my lower back from injuring it squatting years ago.

There is *some* truth to this, but that is why you start light on every program, and use steady, incremental progression. Listen to your body, and make sure you're reading/looking up videos about good form.

Also, about "trainers"... not every employee at a gym is actually a trainer, no matter how built, and not every trainer knows how to coach proper barbell form (many focus/specialize on other kinds of exercises). For instance, you wouldn't get the best advice from a cardiologist regarding your urinary tract, even if he remembered a little from medical school lol

The book "Starting Strength" is a great resource for the big four lifts. More detail on how to do them that you might ever even want lol

Also, look up "So you think you can squat?" and "So you think you can deadlift?" on YouTube. Problem solved :)
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    Also, look up "So you think you can squat?" and "So you think you can deadlift?" on YouTube. Problem solved :)

Amazingly good video batches there.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Amazingly good video batches there.

Yeah, but the squat videos could have done more if you ask me. I mean, I trust the info they gave, and the video is excellent and from an outstanding source (thank you EliteFTS), but they could have given you some more shots from the front, and more tips on knee alignment... just would be nice.

Also, I don't think they mention that the squat in the video is "low bar", they just assume (I guess there's not high bar in power lifting?)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't like the idea of suggesting squats and deadlifts for beginners because it is so easy to hurt yourself if you do not do those correctly. I still have problems with my lower back from injuring it squatting years ago. I would focus on very easy routines as a beginner. Over time you can build up. I have always gone too fast and done too much for me and then ended up hurting myself or I did not know how to do the move correctly even though I did read about form.

God
    the longer I'm on this site the more irritated I get.... then again maybe it's just today- so I apologize in advance- my patience is beyond thin today.

what is easier than a routine that literally has FOUR (Or FIVE)exercises in it?
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench
    OHP.
    (throw in pendlay row/pull ups/lats whatever and it's five)

Beginners are going to hurt themselves on anything if they aren't taught properly- I watched a guy almost rip his arms out on the assisted pull up machine.

Seriously- it has nothing to do with the program- the foundations need to be taught-WITH ANY PROGRAM

Are you suggesting/expect doing machines is going to help you learn how to be a more proficient squatter? seriously? is that your logic?

I can't I just can't.

Get a starting program like the ones suggest.

Learn the TECHNIQUE- with a broom stick whatever.
    Get a coach/trainer- a reputable one- to help guide you
    post a video - watch a video
    do some research.

you are less likely to hurt yourself learning how to properly squat with a broom stick than you are trying to learn on the smith machine.

Seriously.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    ^^^^THIS, for real!