18 mos. later and keeping it off w/pics

Options
So my weight loss is of the controversial kind here on MFP... That's right, I had weight loss surgery 18 mos. ago. But my goodness how amazing it has been. I have been able to accomplish things I couldn't in my fat body. Just from a dietary standpoint I have finally grasped an understanding of nutrition and have had great success. In the beginning I was calorie obsessed and kept my calories way too low, then I found that more if still in moderation is better especially combined with exercise. Now those who are naturally more fit than others find this statement a "duh" moment. However for me and many like me, it was literally like going through detox before this actually could work. Removing the part of my stomach that produces ghrelin, the hunger hormone, allowed me to finally free myself of uncontrollable cravings that kept me tied to my old habits. My brain was no longer clouded and willpower was obtainable. The restrictions finally gave me a chance to reboot if you will. When I began this journey I weighed 304 lbs. at 5'3" and could not be the mother I wanted to be. Now I am training for my first 1/2 marathon that I will be running with my high school senior son. Last Christmas I took my family to Disneyland and never had to sit and rest because my feet hurt and was able to ride every ride with my children and plenty of room to spare in the seat. In the last 18 mos. I have done several fun runs and mud runs. Even my 5 yr old ran a color run. My son and I "nature" biking and I live the life I always thought I would have. I weigh 154 lbs. now and am very happy where I am. Right now I am maintaining my weight and may decide to lose another 15 lbs. later. For right now I am content with where I am though.

MiriahandrobinARcave-1.jpg
3 months before surgery

DSCN3777.jpg
last Christmas

219569_213957005294703_6822753_o_zps16317a05.jpg

1 year prior to surgery with my little girl- no lap for her to sit in.

1243185_660718687285197_838899706_o_zpsb06578fc.jpg

2 mos. ago with my son at an awards banquet.

9a2ee27c-1294-47ff-b273-d7a580e4fb1d_zps3a4a9fc3.jpg
my 1st 5k with my little girl who ran 1/2 and I ran the second half carrying her.

1065003_621945617829171_1887307974_o_zpsede395d9.jpg
Nature Biking with my son.

Now I am on the the next part of my journey and that involves leaving this post and heading to the kitchen to make fat free low sugar zucchini muffins with my little girl and then off to the park for a bike ride.

Can't get all my pics to work any help is appreciated

Replies

• rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - what a fab loss.

Great to see you have turned your surgery into such a positive lifestyle change! Well done!
  • sonyabracho
    Options
    Congratulations on your amazing Weight Loss and mantaining!!!
    There is nothing wrong with having weight loss surgery. It's not taking the easy way out- you still have to commit to a life time of healthy eating and exercise! It's hard work- with or without surgery!! And you are proof that it CAN be done! Kudos to you!
    You are amazing and truly inspiring to me!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Some of the pics were removed, but WOW!! Look at you!! Doing my happy dance for ya. To think you "lost" about HALF of you!! And I am sure your baby enjoyed running with ya.

A HUGE congrats to ya!
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work!
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    yay got pics working!!
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Great job & I love your dress!
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Great job & I love your dress!

Thanks me too but sadly it is now too big. lol!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Love this! I also had the same surgery less than a year ago and met my goal on Friday- 152 lb total loss. I am so happy for you- you had the courage to take back your life and health- sending you a FR.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Amazing !!! I love seeing before and after pics !!
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss ! You look amazing and happy !
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic, and the change in your lifestyle is so great! My only complaint with weight loss surgery is that a lot of people who get it don't bother to keep up with the change in eating habits and lifestyle that needs to occur. It definitely seems you mastered that, which is HUGE just in itself, so congrats on everything!
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    Who would dare judge such an amazing achievement? Congratulations, so happy for you. Awesome work and you look fantastic.
  • jstmee
    jstmee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bravo - such an inspiration!!!
  • Ibleedlipstick
    Ibleedlipstick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That is such an incredible difference! I can't imagine why someone would judge your transformation — you took charge of your own life, and made a decision to save it! You look absolutely amazing.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep up the good work.
  • lcransaw
    Options
    Everyone has a different path to their weightloss goal. I am glad you found what works for you and that you are enjoying fun activities with your family. You look awesome!
  • chipperamanda
    Options
    Wow! You look great and keep up the work. It is not easy, but I am here to give you support.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Fantastic work! Congratulations!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic. I'm glad you told your story too. My brother-in-law is morbidly obese - he is tall, but must be close to 400 pounds now. He is disabled from painful back and knee injuries - weight related - and has just been diagnosed with Parkinson's.

I've known him since he was a thin 19 year old. He's now 55. This has given me something to think about. His wife has tried to get him to lose or eat healthier - no way. He is really addicted to take-out food. I don't use that word lightly - he is a reformed alcoholic and also had problems with painkillers. When he quit the alcohol he started eating instead.

His wife is trying to get him to do barriatric surgery and/or go to a weight loss camp/resort/campus/whatever. Do you have any advice about what kinds of things would help him know he was ready for that and know it would work? He is afraid to spend the money and have it fail. But he obviously has willpower. He kicked alcohol basically on his own.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Great job changing your life! It looks like your kids have a cool mom. Keep up the awesome work.