December Walking Challenge 2013

Options
This is continued from previous Walking Challenges, but it’s nice when each month has its own thread.

*** Anyone can join in at any time. The more the merrier, let’s keep each other motivated****

Walking seems like the easiest way to start getting exercise, and even if you can't track distance (or don't want to), tracking time is good too...go for a 10 min walk after dinner, or up it to 30 minutes, you'll be amazed at the end of the month how much more exercise your getting in. :)

Check in everyday with how far you walked or how long, this is just to motivate us to get in at least some exercise every day, and keep an eye on each other.

I want to try to keep this mostly to walking or walking type exercising. Treadmills and elliptical are A-OK.

Hope to see some more faces in this challenge; we'll start tracking December 1st.

Replies

• GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,966 Member
    Options
    Hey, if I can use my treadmill works for me! I need to combine my runs in with some walks! I wasn't able to complete my half a couple weeks ago! I have trouble sometimes with calfskin tighten us, ugh! What's weird the week BEFORE my half I WAS able to run 13 miles! Then I fell and had to have stitches in my hand, yikes! Now that my stitches are out I'm working on training for a half in April! I can do this!!!!!!!! Thanks for starting this! Ok, now it's time to get out and finish my workout! I will check in later! Good luck everybody!

Dec 1
    Dec 2
    Dec 3
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • driley9330
    driley9330 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! Count me in!
  • GrandmaJackie
    Options
    Hey, if I can use my treadmill works for me! I need to combine my runs in with some walks! I wasn't able to complete my half a couple weeks ago! I have trouble sometimes with calfskin tighten us, ugh! What's weird the week BEFORE my half I WAS able to run 13 miles! Then I fell and had to have stitches in my hand, yikes! Now that my stitches are out I'm working on training for a half in April! I can do this!!!!!!!! Thanks for starting this! Ok, now it's time to get out and finish my workout! I will check in later! Good luck everybody!

Dec 1 30 mins treadmill / 2 miles
    Dec 2
    Dec 3
  • FancyPantsFran
    Options

exercise.png
  • GrandmaJackie
    Options

Dec 1 30 mins treadmill / 2 miles
    Dec 2. 30mins treadmill / 2 miles
    Dec 3
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Okay, a new thread. I will be back after I start to feel better.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Any tips on walking outside in cold weather? I live very close to a neighborhood deemed "Christmas Lane". I would love to get in my daily walk outside checking out the lights.
  • incredibleshrinkingjackie
    Options
    hi, i'm new to this challenge. do we set a goal of how many miles we plan to walk? these are my walks so far this month:

dec. 1:
    dec. 2: 1.5 miles on treadmill/ 45 minutes
    dec 3: .5 mile outside/15 minutes
    dec.. 4:
    dec. 5:
    dec. 6:
    dec..7:
    dec. 8:
    dec. 9:
    dec. 10:
    dec. 11:
    dec. 12:
    dec. 13:
    dec. 14:
    dec. 15:

i can't wait to get to know all of you guys. you can friend me if you want.
    Options
    Options
    Any tips on walking outside in cold weather? I live very close to a neighborhood deemed "Christmas Lane". I would love to get in my daily walk outside checking out the lights.

two pair of socks, hat, gloves and scarf and off you go. of course, watch out for icy patches. i carry a water bottle with me in winter too as well as summer. i find i get thirsty more ; maybe because of the drier air? i live in michigan and we have had some cold days here lately. well, enjoy your walks on "christmas lane".
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm in! December 2nd & 3rd walked for 30 minutes.
  • therejohn
    therejohn Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Sounds like a great idea! Guess the answer really depends on your definition of cold weather. I live in Northern California, where temps are between 35-60 depending on time of day (I am freezing, you'd think I was at the north pole). I wear thermal tops and underwear, a hat, gloves and a warm but light weight coat. I have a hat that comes down over my face and only leaves my eyes exposed, but I worry people will think I'm a burglar :-) Take tissue if you nose gets runny like mine.
  • Shirley61
    Options
    I think everyone covered the needs for a long winter's walk. Today its 50F but will get colder
    by the end of the week.

Dec 1, 2, 3, no exercise still getting over being sick.
    12/4 - Tried 30 min on my bike with the turbo trainer. How can you sweat and be cold at the same time. :ohwell:
  • FancyPantsFran
    Options
    12/5 did 4.6 goal 55 miles

exercise.png
  • Shirley61
    Options
    12/4 - Tried 30 min on my bike with the turbo trainer. How can you sweat and be cold at the same time. ohwell
    12/10 - Leslie Sasone Walking DVD 37 min
  • Shirley61
    Options
    12/4 - Tried 30 min on my bike with the turbo trainer. How can you sweat and be cold at the same time.
    12/10 - Leslie Sasone Walking DVD 37 min 2 miles
    12/13- Leslie Sasone Walking DVD 30 min 2 miles
  • Shirley61
    Options
    12/4 - Tried 30 min on my bike with the turbo trainer. How can you sweat and be cold at the same time.
    12/10 - Leslie Sasone Walking DVD 37 min 2 miles
    12/13- Leslie Sasone Walking DVD 30 min 2 miles
    12/23- Leslie Sasone Walking DVD 38 min 2 miles
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I will be putting the new thread up later today. I'm hoping to get in more walking now that the hustle and bustle of the holidays had ended.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1160727-january-walking-challenge-2014

Come on over to the New Thread. It is a great time to begin!