How to calculate mmaintenance cals?

Kate_UK
Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm less than a pound away from my original goal, although I've decided to loose a few more lbs once I reach it, so I'm not done dieting just yet. But I'm curious, how do you work out how many cals you need to maintain your new weight?
I was told that you need 150cals per stone lost less than you were eating before dieting, but I didn't count calories before so I don't have a clue how many that was (frankly just the thought if it frightens me!)

Kx

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Congrats on how far you have come and good luck with the switch to maintenance.
    MFP will work that out for you based on your daily activity level, gender, and weight. You can go into goals, change goals, in the drop down you can select between loosing 2 pounds per week and gaining 2 pounds per week with maintenance right in the middle.

Just one suggestion, don't go directly to maintenance calories from a deficit if your current goal is set up for more than 1/2 pound loss per week. The best way to get ready for maintenance is lets say you are currently at 1.5 pounds per week goal. Well next week change it to 1.0 pounds per week, the following week change it to 0.5 pounds/week, then the following week go to maintenance. This way you want shock your body with a sudden large increase in caloric intake. Each week you will be adding 250 cals per day until you reach maintenance.
  • Kate_UK
    Thanks
  • Kate_UK
    Thanks and thanks for the advice, I wouldn't have thought of that, but it makes complete sense to add the exra cals slowly.

Kx
This discussion has been closed.