Sugar free?

It seems like everything we eat has sugar in it. Even our sandwich bread does. No wonder why we crave sugar. I have even read that the fast food joints put sugar in the salads, making even the healthy choices not so healthy. However, I am not a fan of sugar substitutes either, unless they are natural.

My biggest issues with sugar have be trying to curb sugar cravings and night, and the need to eat a whole box of sugar filled whatever junk food was in the house all because I am bored or depressed. I actually sought out help from Kristen Kancler with my emotional eating and need for sugar.

Using her guidance as an expert in nutrition, I was able to learn to make better food choices that helped curb the sugar cravings.

What do you eat when you are craving something sugary? My main go-to these days are fresh strawberries! No sugar needed!

Replies

• tayloar
    tayloar Posts: 9 Member
    Zevia soda :) It's all natural and 0 calories and no sugar. SODelicious no sugar added froyo. It's like 1g of sugar I think and 100cal/serving. Quest bars are great too!
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    i generally have something sweet with sugar in it when craving something sugary...

when i crave bacon, i have bacon...when i crave salad, i say wtf am i thinking and have some meat too
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    If I want sugar I have it, fit it into my calorie/macro goals, and enjoy.

I love strawberries too, but you do know that they have sugar, right?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

That's exactly what I was about to ask :laugh:
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Rather than sugar-free, it sounds like you're advocating for a diet with only naturally-occuring sugars. I try to limit my intake of sugar through packaged foods and have become conscious of it. I also love strawberries and other fruits for a sweetness craving!
  • littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    i use 'naturally' sweet things too - like strawberries, mango, stone fruit etc.

However, somedays I just say 'stuff it' and have sugar in my coffee - or that icecream i have been wanting - or a few squares of chocolate. . . The only thing is making sure the 'sugar cravings' don't get on top of me & i don't crave (and allow myself) some every day, or a few times every day.... that's why i stick with fruit if i can.

Lots of people say cal in vs cal out - if it fits in - it doesnt matter - let yourself have it...

Personally, with other hormonal/metabolic issues, i personally try and put it (added refined sugars) in the 'dont have' category... and yes - that means checking labels for everything.... luckily i make most things from scratch - so that helps avoid 'accidental added sugar' intake :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member

Yep This....... I wanted chocolate so I measure out a 1/4 cup of chocolate hershey kisses chocolate chips, some cocoa almonds and cashews and logged them and enjoyed them... I learned early on that I had to conquer my addiction to food by building a better relationship with it and making things that I like fit into my daily calorie intake.....
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member

Yep This....... I wanted chocolate so I measure out a 1/4 cup of chocolate hershey kisses chocolate chips, some cocoa almonds and cashews and logged them and enjoyed them... I learned early on that I had to conquer my addiction to food by building a better relationship with it and making things that I like fit into my daily calorie intake.....

^^^^ This is why Ed is a F'N Badaxx.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member

Ed Zachery
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Sugar is not evil. Unless you have a health problem, every kind of food is just fine, in moderation.
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member

I'm pretty sure she means processed sugar? I am assuming anyway :)

I also go for fruit when I am craving something sweet. Unless it is something specific then I just eat a little of whatever I was craving. Tonight, it was dark chocolate :)
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    I love my sugar substitutes and my sugar. I don't have a sweet tooth, but some recipes call for a sweetener. Bread would not rise if there wasn't sugar present. I don't think obsessing is healthy.
  • acogg
    Just for fun: Did you know that black pepper and white sugar have exactly the same caloric value?
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Just for fun: Did you know that black pepper and white sugar have exactly the same caloric value?

whoa???? pepper has calories???
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member

Ed Zachery

no-more-internet-for-you.gif
  • acogg
    Yup. It's all about moderation. If we used black pepper in cups and large spoons, we would be just as fat. Instead, we should use sugar like black pepper, to taste. Sugar is not unhealthy, we simply use too much sugar.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member

Ed Zachery

no-more-internet-for-you.gif

:sad:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

whoa???? pepper has calories???

Except she's wrong.
    I tsp sugar = 1 tbl spoon black pepper.
    You might place a tsp of sugar in your coffee, I doubt you'll place a tablespoon of pepper.

The stuff people come up with, smh.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Assuming it fits my macros, I usually go for ice-cream
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    I've been eating a lot of pie lately. It is the holidays.