Calories in canned tuna

If it says the nutritional information for the drained amount and I want to have the liquids as well, how do I know how many calories are in the entire container??

Replies

• LivviLosing
    LivviLosing Posts: 34 Member
    If it is canned in water, I'm not sure you need to worry about it.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    If you want to eat the whole can, read how many servings are in it. Then, read how many calories are in a serving. Then multiple the calories by the servings, and you'll get your answer.

I wouldn't eat the tuna water, it just makes the texture funky.
  • MileHighFitness
    MileHighFitness Posts: 2,298 Member
    Loves me some TUNA! :tongue:
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    If you are eating canned tuna, which I love, you should be eating the one packed in water.. If you are then it should not change the calorie value.. I think they write "drained" because everyone, or Almost everyone drains it before using it !!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    the tin should have the drained weight on it?
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    I'd worry more about the cesium.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    I forgot to mention it is tuna in oil and they say the nutritional info is for drained weight. It just so happens I like the oil and at the time didn't think to add that as extra.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Always check the calories on the can. tuna migrate and change their fat content due to the season. Sometime you will see exact same cans of tuna but 20 cal per serving difference in each can! Lean spring tuna v fat winter tuna. Lol
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Drain off the oil and weigh it.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Hmmm well I supposed what I should have done since I didn't weigh the tuna before I ate it was checked the percentage of meat there is (or should be) in the can, figure out the amount of oil from that and log the oil... which means (OMG!) I like, drank down at least a tablespoon of oil without even logging it XD