how to fight cravings?

Options
So I just started watching what I eat and have been "trying' to eat a lot healthier but how do people fight those cravings I mean I can't really help it. I'm surrounded by people who literally do nothing all day and eat a whole pizza like twice a day every day and they gain no weight. I mean what can I do? There so many times when I crave a soda, or fast food or chocolate or sweets and have no idea how to stop it I mean they'll be times when I say no but after a couple weeks..

Replies

• hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    First, it's very hard to diet around people who eat whatever they want. Try to ignore what they eat. Again, it's hard. Keep telling yourself why you need to eat less. You really need to have some inner strength here.

As far as cravings go...it's not always about denying yourself. It's really about moderation. If you are craving soda....try diet soda. If you are craving chocolate...eat a piece of chocolate.

Sometimes that doesn't work. I know that I am better off staying away from unhealthy food completely.

The key here is to eat when you are hungry....but pick healthy foods. Realize that you may be craving chocolate....but you can fill yourself up on veggies.

What will that do?

Well....I guarantee you that filling yourself up with a bowl of veggies may not be exciting....but it will allow you to push through those cravings much easier than doing it on an empty stomach.

Don't starve yourself. Hunger can be your worst enemy in relation to cravings. You may crave things even when your full....but as they say...don't go shopping on an empty stomach.

Drink a glass or two of cold water. That can help some people get through cravings as well.

Again, the key here is to eat when you get hungry like that. Just eat healthy.

Remember one thing. When you get into one of those moods where you think a piece of chocolate is the only thing that will satisfy...realize this is exactly what you need to overcome to lose weight. You need to be able to choose healthy menu items over garbage food.

It gets easier over time. You aren't going to battle cravings for the rest of your life. Some time on a healthy diet will have you craving healthy food. At least that's how it was for me.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I just surround myself with healthy foods and leave the junk food at the store. If there is no junk food in your house .. you won't be able to eat it. But it sounds like there are others that have bad food habits, so just walk away and say NO as much as you can.

It is all about being dedicated to the goal ... do you want to lose weight and be happy ? If this is a yes, then you need to learn to eat healthy food and avoid the bad stuff.

I personally still feel that there are times when I just want to eat something ... so find a healthy food that you can freely eat without getting stressed over. I personally eat celery ... it satisfies my need to eat and I like the crunch. I know it is not for everyone .. but you can find your own healthy food and learn to just eat healthy when the time comes for those cravings.

Good luck.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a true craving really needs to be satisfied by just eating what you're craving. Otherwise, you'll have many more calories of healthy food.

But wanting pizza because everyone else is having it isn't really a craving that can't be satisfied any other way. Make sure you have healthy options with you all the time. Think about why eating healthy is important to you, which should go beyond weight loss. They may not be fat, but they also can't be too healthy.
  • hlp15
    hlp15 Posts: 3
    Options
    Try drinking water or a cup of green tea when a craving strikes. I'll ask myself after I do that if I still really want that brownie....
    I usually don't! But if you do, take 2 bites instead if the whole thing.