Best way for a beginner to gain mass?

Options
Hey everyone. I'm looking for a little advice on bulking up and what route I should take to achieve my fitness goals. A little background first:

I started my fitness journey about 6 months ago, having never worked out. (180 lbs, 6 feet tall) I began just eating healthier and doing workout dvds at home. A few weeks ago, I finished the Insanity program by beachbody. I cut down to about 142 pounds and very low body fat. I'm happy with the progress I've made so far, but a lot of people say I look too skinny and I would like to gain some muscle. I've never attempted to gain weight before and have practically no experience lifting weights.

I thought about purchasing the Body Beast program and trying to gain mass that way. However, it would require me to invest quite a bit of money into the equipment to do that. I also have access to a gym, but I feel like I would get better results with a DVD workout to guide me through the exercises. I feel like I wouldn't get very good results at the gym simply because I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just feeling a little lost about what I should do right now to achieve my goals. Any advice from more experienced people would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• albertnico
    Options
    You will gain some fat if you want to build muscle as you will need carbs to protect them and give you energy to work out. Some idea I have can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th2JqVrbbnE

You may get some other idea about workout routines from http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt88.htm

I never tried to purchase the stuff you mention, but it sounds cool and, maybe, a little yuppie :).

I hope this helped a little.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Eat more
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You don't need a program like bodybeast. albert mentioned going on to bodybuilding.com and finding a program which is a good idea. Here is a link to a program called ICF 5x5 http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

Don't get caught up in the hype of different programs promising results. This causes people to switch workout routines too often. Stick to the same routine for at least 3 months. You can make adjustments for example if the routine calls for bench press you can do incline press instead or if it calls for 5 reps you can do 4 or 6.

The most important is eating. Eat enough so you are gaining about .5 to 1 lb per week.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Here's a great group with lots of links with info that might help you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

ETA additional links that may be of interest:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/850719-strength-training-the-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/852401-proper-form-and-technique-sources

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells

Also, Sara and Sidesteel are extremely knowledgeable and may be able to help you a bit more with questions on your bulking :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Buy 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler. Read it. Do it. You're welcome.

Also, GOMAD.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

Also, GOMAD.
    He's a beginner
  • tigersword
    Options

Also, GOMAD.
    He's a beginner
    And? Wendler has a 5/3/1 version specifically for beginners. It's in the book. He's looking to gain mass, and I personally feel 5/3/1 is better than Stronglifts or Starting Strength for hypertrophy.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options

Also, GOMAD.
    He's a beginner
    And? Wendler has a 5/3/1 version specifically for beginners. It's in the book. He's looking to gain mass, and I personally feel 5/3/1 is better than Stronglifts or Starting Strength for hypertrophy.

The best strength programs out there for beginners are based on the 4 fundamental compound (multi-joint) movements: bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press. The most basic, and well establish programs I know of for these are Starting Srength (book with tons of detail) or Stronglifts 5x5 (free online routine, good videos to show form).

Once you stall out on 5x5 or Stronglifts, move on to an intermediate program like Wendler's 5/3/1.

Wendler's 5/3/1 is a great program, really (I do it, and I swear by it, but the progression is too slow for a beginner). But if you've never lifted before, you should start with a more basic program with faster progression. Even 5/3/1's beginner program is meant to be supervised by a coach, because he has them starting off heavy and doing joker sets (which is a cluster **** with new inexperienced lifters), and there's a huge potential for them to get carried away with assistance work.

You want it basic so you can learn the movements and understand why they are so important, and you want fast progression because you are going to START LIGHT, and progress to your current potential. Your body is going to adapt quickly, and you're going to see quick newbie gains early on. Why start light? Protect your ****ing joints (I'm out of the gym right now because I wasn't careful enough), and because the lighter you start, the more room you give yourself to adapt and progress, and on a program like 5x5 it'll get heavy real soon, so enjoy it while you can lol

Also, about gaining muscle mass. The most you can expect to gain is around 2lb of muscle per month, provided you're eating around 250-500 extra calories above daily maintenance (even on off days, IIFYM.com has good calculators). What you will see is a gain of 1lb per week, with about 50% fat and 50% lean mass. No way to avoid this.

The good thing is that you cut down pretty far (farther than you probably need to), so you can do with some fat gain and still keep a lean physique.

Let us know if you have anymore questions, and how it goes.
  • justiceevers
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll look into Starting Strength and Stronglifts. Probably aim for about 0.5-1 lb gain per week.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll look into Starting Strength and Stronglifts. Probably aim for about 0.5-1 lb gain per week.

Right on man, get at it! Also, with the understanding that you will benefit more from a 5x5 program first, you should consider picking up a copy of 5/3/1 anyways, just to learn about Wendler's lifting philosophy. Basically "keep it simple, basic, and strong".

He also believes in progressing slowly, but that's crucial only later when you're working at close to your maxes and doing a routine like his.

What you're going to find at first, is that your muscles are stronger than you think, and your body is going to quickly get used to more and more weight. A big part of strength is neurological adapation, and this is where most of your initial strength gains are going to come from. So it's more like "getting up to speed" rather than "getting stronger" persay. Later on when you stall on 5x5 and it's quick progresion, a program like 5/3/1 is excellent.

Also man, and I can't stress this enough, start light. You'll be hitting those 45 lb plates in no time anyway. Just do an ego check and start at maybe half of what you believe to be your 1 rep max. You'll feel like a ***** for the first few weeks, but you'll probably be the smartest guy in the room and you won't regret it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    eat all the things
    lift all the things.

starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting

learn the technique- seriously- it's key. Don't skimp on this- even heavy lifters STILL work technique with JUST the bar or super light weights- that's OKAY.

now: go forth- and be fabulous
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    Eat Alot
    Lift Heavy
    Sleep Enough

Repeat forever
  • Staticx1010
    Options
    Find a strength training gym, use the coaches they have there or get a trainer to teach you how to properly lift weights. When you start lifting, increase your calorie intake, primarily through proteins. Take a creatine fortified protein mix, the creatine should help your muscles swole up. The more you lift and the harder you lift, the more results. It will take a long time, probably years to really bulk up, but keep in mind other people will notice the difference well before you will.

And don't waste your time with useless exercises like bicep curls. Your shoulders, back, and chest is really where upper body mass is built. And never skip Legs... leg day is seriously the most important day.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Eat food, lift heavy things, sleep, profit

I havn't read the other posts but I''m sure a 5x5 program has been suggested. If not look into one like stronglifts or starting strength. After those you can move onto an intermediate program like MADCOW. As for GOMAD, I'm not a fan. There are plenty of other ways to fill calories then drink them. Be sure to rest. Recovery is just as important if not more important then actual training. This is when you grow.

If your looking for ideas one what you should be eating while on a bulk, feel free to check out my diary.
  • kanyewest51
    kanyewest51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Find a strength training gym, use the coaches they have there or get a trainer to teach you how to properly lift weights. When you start lifting, increase your calorie intake, primarily through proteins. Take a creatine fortified protein mix, the creatine should help your muscles swole up. The more you lift and the harder you lift, the more results. It will take a long time, probably years to really bulk up, but keep in mind other people will notice the difference well before you will.

And don't waste your time with useless exercises like bicep curls. Your shoulders, back, and chest is really where upper body mass is built. And never skip Legs... leg day is seriously the most important day.

Curls aren't useless, they should be part of most programs if you want your arms to grow.
  • FrnkLft
    Options

Curls aren't useless, they should be part of most programs if you want your arms to grow.

Yeah bicep curls are fine, but you only really need to do one exercise for them, not hit them with 3 exercises or have a day devoted to them. I have an upper/lower split, so I do curls on upper days, whatever curl I care to do, 3x10-12. They get hit on other exercises like the DB Row, which is a compound movement getting your back and shoulders as well.

It's all about training smart. You're not a bodybuilder looking for perfect symmetry and taking roids, you just want mass and strength.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Calorie surplus and a basic routine that incorporates major compounds. Look up a novice routine like:http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
  • tigersword
    Options

Chin-ups and Pendlay rows are far more useful for growing your biceps than curls, and they also work out far more muscle groups as well.
  • djpro1337
    djpro1337 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. Est 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. I recommend getting one of those mass gainer supplements. Give your muscles time to rest and recover. Muscles grow when your resting, not working out, but you need to rip and tear the muscles properly, hence the heavy lifting 1-6 rep range, but also 8-12 rep range too. Mix it up.
  • Live4theLift
    Options
    1.- Trainers are expensive and unless you can afford one a good alternative would be to hit up some of the guys in the gym for pointers
    2.- Curls are not useless but its an isolation exercise and as a beginner you should really focus on more compound lifts
    3.- Dont buy into the fad of "Buy this and gain 7 lbs in a week" many supps will try to trick you but truth be told at your age all you need is a protein supplement
    4.- Leave your ego at the door and lift with correct form no matter what the weight