Hydrostatic Testing

Options
wheird
wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
I have decided to get my body fat percentage measured so I can start gauging my progress quarterly or semi-annually. Unless I am mistaken, hydrostatic testing is the most accurate method (correct me if I am wrong).

I tried looking up a Bod Pod testing location, but for some reason their website isn't returning me any results for SoCal. I found another one, Fitness Wave, and there are some semi-local ones that I could visit without too much trouble.

I was wondering if there is anything I should know about this particular company or the testing method in general?

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Here's a link from the ETP group that gives some info about it. Not sure if this is what you were looking for or if it helps at all :

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/830595-body-fat-estimation-methods
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Let me know how it goes in PM, when I am closer to goal or at goal I want to measure mine once or twice.
  • wheird
    Options
    Let me know how it goes in PM, when I am closer to goal or at goal I want to measure mine once or twice.

Why not before and after?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Why not before and after?

Just because I know I'm gonna lose lot's of everything since I'm so far from goal. When I get closer is when my workouts will make a difference in where I am. Also, I have a scale that measures my BMI, water% AND BF% so I have a general idea, and won't be interested in precision until I am closer to goal and able to endure different types of workouts that would get me where I want to be.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have decided to get my body fat percentage measured so I can start gauging my progress quarterly or semi-annually. Unless I am mistaken, hydrostatic testing is the most accurate method (correct me if I am wrong).

I tried looking up a Bod Pod testing location, but for some reason their website isn't returning me any results for SoCal. I found another one, Fitness Wave, and there are some semi-local ones that I could visit without too much trouble.

I was wondering if there is anything I should know about this particular company or the testing method in general?

I have used Fitness Wave before for hydrostatic tests. They were pretty consistent. From eyeballing, they estimated me at possibly a % or 2 too low.

See the link Joy posted re accuracy. Bod Pods can be very inaccurate.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's accurate enough but I wouldn't put too much time or money into it. You know that you have a ways to go and for all intents and purposes the scale and the mirror will tell you what you need to know. Tracking bf% is a good thing to do and I'm not opposed to it, I'm just saying I wouldn't spend a bunch of money or inconvenience myself to get a hyperaccurate reading.
  • wheird
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input!

Dav, the pricing at the Irvine location is $60 and I stay around Santa Ana for a few days every other week or so. So it wouldn't be terribly expensive or inconvenient.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...considering this myself...

...if I can get over the claustrophobic part of it.
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    i got a DEXA scan done a few weeks after i started and that is one of the best decisions i ever took. Nothing would make me more ecstatic than seeing a gain in LBM when i go back for my "after". Also, it's fun to point out with reasonable accuracy how much you need to lose to get a particular bf% after knowing your figures. Oh and i use to be Sam308lbs in my account so i remember talking to you about it a lot :P
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Dav, the pricing at the Irvine location is $60 and I stay around Santa Ana for a few days every other week or so. So it wouldn't be terribly expensive or inconvenient.

Orly.png

You know what else 60 bucks can buy you in Santa Ana? Morton's steak....Gallo Giro carne asada Tortas...Alberto's taquitos with guacamole and lettuce instead of cheese (it's a weird request but trust me, sooooo worth the switch).
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Orly.png

You know what else 60 bucks can buy you in Santa Ana?

boom-o.gif
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Fitness Wave is all right. I used the Irvine location. If you are doing the BF% test, you might as well do the BMR one too. If you're interested that is. Also, don't schedule a meeting or plan on going back to work after the test as you'll need to get home to shower. No showers there.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Orly.png

boom-o.gif

Is she saying booze?, cause yeah...McCormick and Schmicks, Yardhouse, etc. and so on.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Fitness Wave is all right. I used the Irvine location. If you are doing the BF% test, you might as well do the BMR one too. If you're interested that is. Also, don't schedule a meeting or plan on going back to work after the test as you'll need to get home to shower. No showers there.

Great tip.
  • wheird
    Options

Thanks for letting me know. I'll make sure to schedule it for after I get out of work. How long do the tests take?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Doh!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Orly.png

boom-o.gif

Is she saying booze?, cause yeah...McCormick and Schmicks, Yardhouse, etc. and so on.

LOL. No, Boom! :tongue:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Orly.png

boom-o.gif

LOL. No, Boom! :tongue:

Ooops, LOL. :laugh: :wink: well we know where my mind is. Good thing I don't have to rely on lip reading, huh?
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I've been curious about this myself. I hope you'll post some feedback once you've done this.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    In...

...considering this myself...

...if I can get over the claustrophobic part of it.

Hydrostatic testing isn't confined. It's like the dunk tank at a fair except it's you that gets dunked. The hard part is blowing out all the air in your lungs underwater, holding still and fighting that urge that you need to breath NOW!