Is it bad to eat under my daily calories?

Options
This is my first day and i was wondering if i eat under everyday than will that effect my weight loss plan alot, or should i just follow my daily intake goal of 2090 calories?

Replies

• allopathicJ
    allopathicJ Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Not really. Well, I guess it depends on your goals. If you're trying to lose weight, you want to eat with a deficit but also have a day or two where you can eat above your tdee. (Check TDEE calculator). Eating too low calories can slow your weight loss and affect your ghreliin levels so mix it up. I suggest trying intermittent fasting and look it up at leangains.com
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Not really. Well, I guess it depends on your goals. If you're trying to lose weight, you want to eat with a deficit but also have a day or two where you can eat above your tdee. (Check TDEE calculator). Eating too low calories can slow your weight loss and affect your ghreliin levels so mix it up. I suggest trying intermittent fasting and look it up at leangains.com
    I don't think that's what he's asking. I believe he's asking if it's ok to eat under the goal given by MFP, which (if you're trying to lose) already contains your calorie deficit. Eating under that goal merely extends that deficit beyond what is recommended by MFP.

OP - short answer is if it's once in a while then no, it won't matter. If you are consistently coming under your calorie goal, and by a lot, then you could run into problems. The more fat stores you have (ie if you're obese) then the more you can "get away with" a larger calorie deficit, but in general, you want to aim to hit the goal that MFP gives you. Keep it simple. :)
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    im netting ,my cals weekly, but i try to not ever to eat under my BMR.
  • bouchardkyle
    bouchardkyle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you i'll do my best to hit it, also if you excersize you obtain more calories to use correct? and if i hit my original goal than i don't necessarily need to use the extra calories correct?
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    most people who post a topic along this line have a goal of 1200 and 'just struggle to eat more then 800' :huh:

Since your goal is 2090, I don't think you are going to run into huge problems unless you undereat by a lot. Having said that, if you constantly undereat you'll have less energy to put into your workouts and in your day to day living. It is important however that you actually log accurately so that the 2000 calories you log are not 2500 in reality thus negating any deficit.
  • juanpegler
    juanpegler Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I started I posted a similar question. and someone gave me this link.
    Read all the links inside this one. it clarifies a lot of the questions you might have just starting out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069275-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • bouchardkyle
    bouchardkyle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! great informaton
  • bgoerdt
    bgoerdt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1200 to loose 1 pound a week. When I exercise, should I add that many more calories, or should I stay with the 1200?
  • WhisperAnne
    Options
    If you only go under by 100-200 then you shouldn't worry but anything more than maybe it could be considered bad. If you want to lose weight then 500 under 2090 is what you need.

I usually eat about 100-200 under my 1600 daily limit and have been maintaining for awhile.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up so that you are supposed to eat your exercise calories. If you're not getting an accurate read on your burns, or not weighting/measuring all of your food however, this could cause a stall in weight loss. First and foremost, get a food scale and start logging very precisely. Good luck! :flowerforyou: