Minimising weight gain in pregnancy

Options
I was wondering of anyone had managed to maintain a healthy weight while pregnant and not end up looking like a beached whale!

I'm currently 20 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby (see profile pic) and although I haven't weighed myself, I don't think I've put on too much weight. There are before pregnancy pics in my profile pics.

I'm 5'6 and weighed 154lbs before getting pregnant, although I always weigh more than I look like I do for some reason. I was doing 5 or 6 gym sessions/classes a week before I got pregnant, and I'm now doing 4 or 5 most weeks (gym, spinning, Zumba, aerobics). I still do strength training.

I've put my calorie limit at 1800 a day, which is a bit less than my TDEE minus 20%. I'm generally pretty healthy, but I have been letting a few too many treats creep into my diary.

I felt really nauseous for the first 14 weeks, and ended up eating to stop it, and probably had too many carbs, but now I feel ok, just tired.

I work part time as a secondary school teacher, and I also have a 4 and 2 year old. I rush about a lot with them - school, nursery etc. So on a daily basis I probably burn quite quite a few calories. I rarely sit down at work either.

I put on a lot of weight in my 2nd pregnancy, and started out about 20lbs heavier than this time anyway, so I am feeling a bit worried, as I do gain weight easily.

Any advice, or similar stories, or success stories?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why are you eating at a deficit while pregnant? surely you should be eating at maintenance?!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    why are you eating at a deficit while pregnant? surely you should be eating at maintenance?!

I was eating 1500 calories before, so 1800 is significantly more already. There have been days when I've been extra hungry so I have gone over 1800.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I was eating 1500 calories before, so 1800 is significantly more already. There have been days when I've been extra hungry so I have gone over 1800.

i am just going by you saying 1800 is TDEE -20%...
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I didn't start out this pregnancy at a healthy weight. I'm 21 weeks 4 days today with my first child and have lost 10lbs now. I'm 5'2 and started at 211 but I'm at 201 now and still eating at a deficit, 1562 and on occasion I manage to get the extra 300 in. I aim for the goal of getting 30 minutes of any intensity exercise in each day. I have all this cleared with my doctor and nutritionist though. I have to deal with a bit more blood work and an extra growth scan but it's really important for me to be as healthy as possible and gain only what's needed; having said that if my doctor at any point told me I needed to up my caloric intake for the sake of the mini-bun then I would do it. At my last midwife appointment I was measuring perfect, 21 weeks, 21cm, I was over the moon!

Advice: Talk to your doctor, tell them what you are doing, tell them you want to minimize weight gain, get on board with a nutritionist, make sure to keep taking your supplements, know your limits and don't push yourself and most of all be realistic.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I agree that as you were a healthy weight to start with you should be eating at maintenance, possibly with an extra 200 cals a day in the second and third trimesters. You're pregnant therefore you need to gain weight. The difference comes in what kind of weight you gain. If you eat healthily all the weight you gain will come off again easily. If you eat unhealthily then you'll have lots of weight to shift after. I've done this five times now and speak from recent experience. Also have a read through on the Fit, Fabulous and Pregnant board, it may help. Good luck and congratulations!
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Ur 20 weeks and have not weighed urself? Am I confused? Are u not going to the drs for a monthly visit?
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    have you run this by your doctor?
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    I am already eating 300 calories over what I was! For the first year on here I was eating 1200! So I know that if I eat too many I will gain weight. Obviously if I'm really hungry and I eat 2200 for example, I'm not going to worry, because I'm hungry for a reason.

My midwife is fine with me exercising and being careful with what i eat. I'm in England, they don't tend to be that bothered unless our BMI is really high, and then you get extra scans and see a consultant (I think). Otherwise we just see a community midwife. As this isn't my first pregnancy I only get appointments at 16, 24, 28, 34, 36, 38 weeks, and then if I go overdue. In fact, I'm not really supposed to have the 24 weeks one, but she said I could otherwise it's a long wait.

I gain weight very easily, always have. I put on absolutely loads in my last pregnancy, although I didn't exercise which didn't help.

We only get weighed at the booking appointment here, and when you have the combined test with the 12 week scan.
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add really except I have just done this, had my 3rd, the other 2 are 2 and 4 and I still put on 30lbs even though I did my best. The last month was my downfall. Up till then I just eat Paleo/Primal without treats or excess but probably a little over maintenance and didn't gain too much. The ltr of ice cream or a bar of choc every night of the last month was the killer ;0
    Good luck. I still feel better than after my other two pregnancies and after my 6wk check next week will be back running and going to the gym but dont think I will drop weight too fast as I am bf and I need lots of calories to make enough milk. Anyways, good luck. x
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Nothing to add really except I have just done this, had my 3rd, the other 2 are 2 and 4 and I still put on 30lbs even though I did my best. The last month was my downfall. Up till then I just eat Paleo/Primal without treats or excess but probably a little over maintenance and didn't gain too much. The ltr of ice cream or a bar of choc every night of the last month was the killer ;0
    Good luck. I still feel better than after my other two pregnancies and after my 6wk check next week will be back running and going to the gym but dont think I will drop weight too fast as I am bf and I need lots of calories to make enough milk. Anyways, good luck. x

With my first the last month was also my downfall, and then I went 10 days overdue! I stopped work at 36 weeks and stopped gym at 34 weeks, and the coffees and cakes out were a bit of a mistake lol. I hope I will learn by my mistakes.....

Course, when I finish work this time I will have 2 kids to be running round after, so I won't be spending as much time leisurely sitting in coffee shops with friends!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Monitor your weight at least monthly to gauge where you are at. You should not be eating at TDEE minus 20% but in fact eating about 300 cals extra unless of course you're obese or at risk for Gestational Diabetes. Your baby need these nutrients. Choose your foods wisely and eat healthy. I suggest you discuss your eating habits with your doc / midwife. Usually they recommend at least 25lbs weight gain.

Good luck :)
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Monitor your weight at least monthly to gauge where you are at. You should not be eating at TDEE minus 20% but in fact eating about 300 cals extra unless of course you're obese or at risk for Gestational Diabetes. Your baby need these nutrients. Choose your foods wisely and eat healthy. I suggest you discuss your eating habits with your doc / midwife. Usually they recommend at least 25lbs weight gain.

Thanks. Oh, I'm sure I will manage 25lbs gain lol. A lot of that is just baby, fluid, placenta etc. As I said, I am already getting 300 extra cals since I was on 1500 before.

I am scared to weigh myself in case I have gained loads, I'm which case that'll upset me, and there's not a lot I can do about it at this stage.

Type 2 diabetes runs in my family so I have to have the glucose tolerance test at 28 weeks.

This is England, your average GP knows nothing about pregnancy really. Everyone I've spoken to has said it's fine to keep exercising, and to eat healthily. When I saw a nurse at my doctor's surgery after having my first baby, she told me to eat 1000 calories a day. They don't always give the best advice here!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Thanks. Oh, I'm sure I will manage 25lbs gain lol. A lot of that is just baby, fluid, placenta etc. As I said, I am already getting 300 extra cals since I was on 1500 before.

I am scared to weigh myself in case I have gained loads, I'm which case that'll upset me, and there's not a lot I can do about it at this stage.

Type 2 diabetes runs in my family so I have to have the glucose tolerance test at 28 weeks.

This is England, your average GP knows nothing about pregnancy really. Everyone I've spoken to has said it's fine to keep exercising, and to eat healthily. When I saw a nurse at my doctor's surgery after having my first baby, she told me to eat 1000 calories a day. They don't always give the best advice here!

I weighed myself weekly because I wanted to know if I was gaining tons. I actually had an OBGYN who I visited monthly until my final trimester when I ran into probs and had to visit daily.

He actually recommended to continue exercising what I'm accustomed to and don't introduce anything new. His key rule was to listen to your body. By 5th month I stopped most ab work and high impact or in fact any sort of jumping. I still did low impact aerobics / light weights and a lot of walking. Remember to stay hydrated as well.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    As I said, I am already getting 300 extra cals since I was on 1500 before.

you're missing the point a bit... its good that you are eating more than you used to, but you are still eating below your TDEE, which isnt neccessary when you started your pregnancy at a normal, healthy weight.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    As I said, I am already getting 300 extra cals since I was on 1500 before.

you're missing the point a bit... its good that you are eating more than you used to, but you are still eating below your TDEE, which isnt neccessary when you started your pregnancy at a normal, healthy weight.

Only just! My BMI was 24.9!

I've stopped doing high impact stuff and abs now, so I just tone it down a bit at aerobics and Zumba.
  • hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am almost 10 weeks pregnant and this is my biggest fear. I have gained 55lbs during my first pregnancy. Lost most of it within 3 months after my baby was born but it was only until his 2nd birthday that i managed to lose all of it with ALOT of work out and calorie counting. :(
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I had a close friend lose a baby because she was't eating enough. Your chances of miscarriage skyrocket if you are eating at a deficeit. Please don't try to "diet" while pregnant. Concentrate on eating clean and healthy at your maintenance +300 calories, you can lose the weight after the baby is born.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    OP forget counting calories whilst pregnant, just eat healthily and cut out rubbish, sweets, cakes and biscuits and your weight will be fine.

I am not sure it is good to eat below your TDEE whilst pregnant, seriously.

Your baby will take exactly what it needs from you whether it puts your own body at risk or not, you need to eat properly whilst pregnant, not just for your baby's sake, but for your own too.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    OP forget counting calories whilst pregnant, just eat healthily and cut out rubbish, sweets, cakes and biscuits and your weight will be fine.

I am not sure it is good to eat below your TDEE whilst pregnant, seriously.

Your baby will take exactly what it needs from you whether it puts your own body at risk or not, you need to eat properly whilst pregnant, not just for your baby's sake, but for your own too.

This and keep moving. You have plenty of time to worry about weight and just a few short months to create a healthy baby.

In answer to your question, I weighed 102 pounds after I gave birth to my first child and 104 after the second. I kept away from junk food, soft drinks, and chocolate. I walked regularly and joined a fitness group specifically for pregnant ladies.
  • Superpowered
    Superpowered Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My midwife also doesn't weigh me, just measures belly, encourages me to eat well and exercise a bit. I find this is a good ap for keeping track of what you eat and logging what you eat is a great reminder to maybe not have that pint of ice cream. Best of luck with your pregnancy!