Frustrated!

Options
So this week saw me join a gym. First time in years I have been to one. My routine is - 15min walk to the gym. 10mins on the treadmill then 5 sets each of 10 reps on the leg press, abdo crunch, seated row and chest press. Then 5mins on elliptical and 30mins on the bike then 15min walk home. I know its not much but I seriously thought that with what I have been eating I would at least stay the same weight if not lose a little bit. Nope. Didn't happen. I actually put on .4kg (1lb). What the???
Seriously frustrated.

Edited to add.. I do this routine every day.

Replies

• MissBellatrix
    Options
    There are actually different factors that you need to watch like the pacing of your routine, and since your body might be getting accustomed to what you are doing for a walk or workouts, and sometimes the food that you consume might be the major factors that initiate a weight gain...Or perhaps a muscle weight might be the one that makes you gain weight.

Try increasing your pace, even a 5 minutes will do.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    waht about food? are you logging? open your diary so maybe we can help
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    It's really really hard to tell by the scale in such a short period. Give it another three weeks and see if after a month it's changed your weight. Perhaps look into getting your body fat percentage tested regularly (most gyms offer some sort of measurement) because if you are eating well and doing that exercise then even if you can't see it on the scale there WILL be changes happening.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Take a look at your diary and what you're consuming. Ensure you're accurately measuring.

Also, most times when you start a new workout regimen, you tend to retain water to help your muscles recover which can lead to increased weight.
  • bettyrox79
    bettyrox79 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Diary is open now. Thought I already had it open. I think my food has been ok up until after weigh in today when I just felt totally useless and made the mistake of feeling like nothing I do makes a difference so I ended up eating crap. But any help will be appreciated :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    is there any reason you picked those particular strength exercises? maybe look at stronglifts or NROL4W and find a full body workout that you can do 3x a week... and then do cardio 2-3 x a week on different days...

if you are new to exercise your muscles will retain water... try taking progress pics every couple of weeks and dont worry too much about the scales
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    congrats. strength training is a great way to supplement your weight loss. however, you can't do the same routine every day. i suggest that you pick up the book "new rules of lifting for women." it's a great book for beginners.

for the most part, you should be hitting the gym three days a week, and doing a full body circuit. read this link, to learn how to design your own work out. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/
  • nicolea1998
    Options
    I'd say it's muscle. Please don't get frustrated. You might loose your routine and binge!
  • bettyrox79
    Options
    @TravistockToad I am doing those machines as they are the only ones I know how to use lol. I am very new to this and a bit daunted by what is the right thing to do. Also I was a bit put off when I joined the gym as the staff member that showed me around just breezed past the free weights room with the offhand comment of "this is the weights room but you wont really have any need to go in there at all" so I have just stuck to the ones that I was shown.
  • bettyrox79
    Options
    Btw, thanks to all for your help. I will definately check out those blogs etc for some guidance and tips :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    @TravistockToad I am doing those machines as they are the only ones I know how to use lol. I am very new to this and a bit daunted by what is the right thing to do. Also I was a bit put off when I joined the gym as the staff member that showed me around just breezed past the free weights room with the offhand comment of "this is the weights room but you wont really have any need to go in there at all" so I have just stuck to the ones that I was shown.

sounds like a great gym....
  • jlp100
    jlp100 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I know it can be frustrated you don't feel like its paying off, but that is just a number on the scale and as the folks say a number of factors can play a part.

Why don't you get a tape measure and keep a log of your measurements of your bust/hips/waist etc etc and you will see that the inches will actually be coming off you. I have been doing this solid for around 80 days but my weight hasn't dropped dramatically, however the clothes are fitting better and i've lost a good few inches from around my body and my waist is creeping back (very slow progress).

You didn't put the weight on overnight so it will take a while for it to come back off, but don't be disheartened. Also limit the amount you weigh yourself, it can become obsessive and just look at the bigger overall picture, you are doing this to get fitter and improve your general health, and you are heading in the right direction.

Good luck.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    went back just a few days but it looks like you aren't eating enough (and you may be overestimating your calorie burn). are you weighing your foods? if you are exercising and eating ~900 calories, that is not enough at all. eat!

As for the gym - go back and insist that you want the weight rooms. I had the same thing in the last gym i went to - "oh, you don't need that". i said "yes i do, are you going to show me how to use it?"