How do you use friends on MFP?

Options
D_squareG
D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
It seems important to so many, some saying that it is essential to their weight loss. How do you use friends on the site? Do they hold you accountable? Is it just a "good job" that keeps you going? Is that an important aspect of MFP to you?

Replies

• BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I don't really need the pats on the back for logging in or exercising, although it's nice to have the support. I like the chit chat, and it's my friends' progress that inspires and motivates me to reach my own goals. After all, if they can do it why shouldn't I?
  • laurelboynton
    laurelboynton Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I find having MFP pals helps in a few ways:

You can get recipe inspiration
    There is a level of embarrassment logging all the naughty habits! I have found this to make me rethink before going over my cal allowance because my MFP buds will see!
    Support
    General talk and advice on exercise regimes/macros etc.

L x
  • Flyer69
    Flyer69 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Post it when you are struggling, good friends will help to find a solution! :-)
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    As humans, most of us are social creatures and we like to share our stories, victories and get sympathy as well as support for the bad days. I like the friends aspect of this site - when you go to weightwatchers etc, the leader spends most of the time talking, you sit there listening and often in your own weight loss world. Here at MFP there is no leader, you can do it yourself if you wish, or you can talk to and listen to (through comments on status and the forums/blogs) other peoples journeys along this path to a healthier place.
  • BigCupOTea
    Options
    They can kick you when you need it, make you laugh and make you shake your head. Friends just keep things interesting and to some degree make you accountable. Some are just friggin insane :)
  • FHelenD
    FHelenD Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Definitely the slight embarrassment of logging my 'bingey' days!! Also for keeping accountable, it is SO easy to just think "well, it's only me who knew i was on a diet anyway so it doesn't matter if i just give up". Plus, if you're struggling, you can get some motivation etc :)
    This is the first time I've actually lost weight, and i've used this thing a lot in the past, but didn't have friends before. It has made all the difference :D
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    I love motivation!
    I like knowing someone will notice my hard work!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Having friends on MFP does not hold the same importance for everyone. It depends how much one draws on the strength of social connections. My MFP friends did not have any influence on my meeting my goal as I was doing it for my own satisfaction but I value them for their wit, humor, and support in regards to posts I create or just simply in sharing life experiences. I personally love the social aspect of MFP although I do not personally "know" any of my MFP friends outside this site.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't have any - horses for courses I guess!
  • BlackandWhitePhotoOp
    Options
    The motivation is great.

Advice when I need it.

Their experience on weightloss/ healthy goals.

:happy:
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    They encourage me when I struggle, congratulate me when I succeed, inspire me with their progress and keep me accountable by chasing me up if I don't log in. They definitely enrich the experience and help me over the hurdles we all encounter. :flowerforyou:
  • liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I first started I couldn't see the point of having friends, then people started to add me and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the interaction. It's great to get support and even nicer to give support. If I gave a question I choose to post on my profile rather than in the forums, reason been if my friends disagree with me, they tell me so without been insulting or argumentative, I've seen too many rows on forums and I don't want to get dragged in. Don't get me wrong the forums are full of great advice but sometimes get overheated.

I don't like discussing my weight loss with other people, I feel like they've heard it all from me before, so it's nice to chat about it on here with my friends and know ( hopefully) that I'm not boring them.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I love seeing my friends log everyday. knowing they're putting in an effort day after day. makes me try to do the same
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    My group of friends here is small, compared to many. Friendships began during a "Biggest Loser" type challenge 3-4 years ago.... and a small core group stuck together. They've become the best friends I've ever had-- many of us have met in person, and we are truly coast to coast-- Boston to Seattle, Maine to Florida-- we encourage each other through the ups and downs of weight loss and life.... special stuff.

As with "real life" friendships, take it slow and cautiously.... You'll learn over time with whom you click.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Build connections, relationships, support. It helps to feel connected even when I am struggling. For me it's important. :flowerforyou:
  • juanpegler
    juanpegler Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't really need the pats on the back for logging in or exercising, although it's nice to have the support. I like the chit chat, and it's my friends' progress that inspires and motivates me to reach my own goals. After all, if they can do it why shouldn't I?

^^ This
    Their progress and just when I am feeling like i am stuck and you get an email saying "Good Job" Pick me upper
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Eye candy ;)

No, seriously, most of the people on my list are people who have similar fitness habits.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    very gently.

sometimes.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    They encourage me when I struggle, congratulate me when I succeed, inspire me with their progress and keep me accountable by chasing me up if I don't log in. They definitely enrich the experience and help me over the hurdles we all encounter. :flowerforyou:

Exactly! I recently met the very first friend I made here IRL. What a treat! We agree that having that connection has kept us logging in and not giving up when things get difficult. I think the social aspect of MFP is one of the reasons it has worked for me.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    - human shields
    - bargaining chips in hostage negotiations
    - surreptitious medical experimentation