Sugar in fruit?

Options
So, my sugar levels on MFP are always too high, but it's because I eat fruit everyday so I dismissed it. But I did some research and it said that sugar is sugar, whether it comes from fruit or sweets. So now I'm confused, should I eat less fruit or what? I eat a lot of veg too, and my diet is as balanced as I can make it, and I don't eat many sweets or chocolates, it's just the sugar that's bothering me now.

Thanks. :) xx

Replies

• shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It looks like I'm always over my sugar intake as well by eating fruit. Fruit is good for you and tasty! :) I don't have a medical reason to track sugar either so I don't tend to look at it. :)
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    I have always heard that sugar in fruit is better for you than sugar in candy because it's natural, but that doesn't mean you should go crazy and have 20X the amount of sugar in a day. But I'm no expert either LOL!
  • My sugar goes over aswell, I just never mind becauase it ia fruit.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition you don't need to be concerned.
  • ShanStaR1908
    Options
    I don't have a medical issue in terms of tracking my sugar, I'm just health concious at the moment. I go maybe 20-30 over my set goal for sugar a day. :/
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on why you are bothered. If it it just because you heard sugar is bad or you don't like being over - personally, I would not worry about it. Eating fruit is part of a healthy well-balanced diet. If there are other reasons, then you may want to consider it. Sugar in and of itself is not bad for you, especially if you are getting it with fruit (which includes fiber, vitamins, etc).
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I don't have a medical issue in terms of tracking my sugar, I'm just health concious at the moment. I go maybe 20-30 over my set goal for sugar a day. :/

I wouldn't even bother keeping track of it then. Just keep within your calories for the day and you should be good to go.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    didn't you ever hear the adage "An apple a day keeps the doctor away"? Fruits also have nutrients and fiber. Just limit them, don't purge them. An apple or a cup of grapes is also a great appetite supressant
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb .. fruit is fine, sugar is fine

IIFYM ..

I have always added my sugar to the carbs and try not to go over the two added together while trying to ensure my protein is higher. Mfp sets sugar and protein rather low

If you were always over on your sugar and it was because of fizzy drinks or adding 3 sugars to tea / coffee 5 times per day... then maybe I would think differently.. but not fruit
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, sugar is sugar regardless of the source. That said, fruit has quite a bit of positive nutrition that most of us need in our diet. If you're really concerned about your sugar, focus on those fruits that are low glycemic load (apples, pears and berries) and consider only eating fruit a few days a week.
  • ShanStaR1908
    Options
    didn't you ever hear the adage "An apple a day keeps the doctor away"? Fruits also have nutrients and fiber. Just limit them, don't purge them. An apple or a cup of grapes is also a great appetite supressant

I have a mix of fruit everyday, grapes, an apple, strawberries, you name it. I try alternate and mix it up to get the sugar as low as I can (if I have an apple I won't have a banana, that kind of thing). I have some with breakfast, and sometimes with lunch as well.
  • ShanStaR1908
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb .. fruit is fine, sugar is fine

IIFYM ..

I have always added my sugar to the carbs and try not to go over the two added together while trying to ensure my protein is higher. Mfp sets sugar and protein rather low

If you were always over on your sugar and it was because of fizzy drinks or adding 3 sugars to tea / coffee 5 times per day... then maybe I would think differently.. but not fruit

Thanks, I'll try that. And I don't drink any fizzy drinks, ever, and I have 1 teaspoon of sugar with my tea, or honey. :)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    So, my sugar levels on MFP are always too high, but it's because I eat fruit everyday so I dismissed it. But I did some research and it said that sugar is sugar, whether it comes from fruit or sweets. So now I'm confused, should I eat less fruit or what? I eat a lot of veg too, and my diet is as balanced as I can make it, and I don't eat many sweets or chocolates, it's just the sugar that's bothering me now.

Thanks. :) xx

there is nothing wrong with sugar.

unless you have diabetes or some REAL medical condition that requires you to track sugar, don't worry about it.

blaming sugar for all of society's woes is just the latest bogeyman for people trying to sell weight loss books.
  • Shaquana2
    Options
    I'm really not a sweets person with fruit or chocolate. But i still think its okay to have some every now and then. At the same time i think you should still keep and eye on the sugar that you intake. I feel that it will help in the long run. Maybe consider eating fruit every other day. Hope this helps
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, whether it's from a candy bar or piece of fruit. Both will be processed as a carb. Where it becomes different is the vitamin and mineral's involved. So overall nutrition is better in a piece of fruit... but that doesn't mean you should avoid candy or ice cream. Foods have a purpose and that's energy. Realistically, just because you avoid sweets, doesn't automatically make you healthier than a person who does eat sweets.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Eat as much fruit as you want. Sugar only becomes a problem when it is removed from the parent plant, and eaten in concentrated doses that are not found in nature.