Weight lifting and calories burned

Options
I love how I can monitor how many calories I burn at the gym on the cardio machines but was wondering how people track when they are weight lifting? I just want to make sure I'm eating back enough exercise calories. Anyone got any general ideas of how to track how many calories are being burned during weight lifting days?

Replies

• badgerdh
    badgerdh Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I believe myfitnesspal has the ability to track general calories spent during weight lifting (based on the amount of time spent doing it and your weight ect...). Or you can google calories used while lifting weights. I'm sure there are formulas used similar to formulas used during cardio
  • Cayjominara
    Cayjominara Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I hear the Fit Bit tracker device can monitor actual calories burned during your training sessions. My job is going to buy us one in January. I'll be able to tell you then if it's accurate. But like badgerdh said, there are tons of online resources, too.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I hear the Fit Bit tracker device can monitor actual calories burned during your training sessions. My job is going to buy us one in January. I'll be able to tell you then if it's accurate. But like badgerdh said, there are tons of online resources, too.

I have had a fitbit for about a year and a half. it has a "timer mode" that you use for activity, it's fairly accurate. but I use a Heart Rate Monitor for tracking weightlifting. Don't get the flex though, it tends to break easily, get the force or the fitbit one
  • briandahawaiian
    briandahawaiian Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I believe myfitnesspal has the ability to track general calories spent during weight lifting (based on the amount of time spent doing it and your weight ect...). Or you can google calories used while lifting weights. I'm sure there are formulas used similar to formulas used during cardio

Its under the cardiovascular, listed as strength training.

but i agree that a HRM would be your best and most accurate bet! I'm looking to get one soon! looking at one of the Polar HRMs!! good luck!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You aren't burning a lot of calories from weight lifting, but you can log it as "Strength Training" under cardio. Warning: This will give you only a very rough idea of calories burned and in all likelihood, will be an over-estimation. Good luck!
  • badgerdh
    badgerdh Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Let me know how that fit bit works for you, i'm looking to get a tracker but want to make sure it's worth the investment.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Let me know how that fit bit works for you, i'm looking to get a tracker but want to make sure it's worth the investment.
    FitBit will not be helpful for strength training.
  • jaxxie2013
    jaxxie2013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Got my Polar HRM last week - i strongly recommend it - it was on sale on amazon too!