Winter Outdoor Activities

Options
As Winter is now here for some of us (especially where I am in Canada, in the midst of a blizzard), does anyone have any good suggestions for some out of the box outdoor snow fitness activities this time of year?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Cross country skiing, snowshoeing , running (yeah, I'm nuts), skating.

Lots to do!
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    A Canadian just asked what to do outdoors in the winter? Why aren't you out making maple syrup or something?
  • evanGL
    Options
    I'd really like to try snowshoeing - that seems to be where my mind is going. Thanks! I don't think I will carry on my running, too slippery here haha.
  • evanGL
    Options
    A Canadian just asked what to do outdoors in the winter? Why aren't you out making maple syrup or something?

Unfortunately the sampling adds more calories than it burns :p
  • Koloss_Kelsier
    Options
    HOCKEY!!!! Haha. I miss playing pond hockey in the winter. Kinda hard to do down here in Southern California. :(
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Ski, snowshoe, skate...there is lots to do. I was out snowshoeing this weekend with my dogs! Had a blast
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Snowshoeing is my new love! :smile: You can find some decently priced ones at Canadian Tire. Cabela's and Mountain Equiment C-op have more variety, in product & prices.

Or you can just put on your snowpants, jacket and what-not and go out and play with a dog or kid lol.

Are you in the Edmonton area? You said blizzard and that's what I've got here lol.
  • Fit_in_Folsom
    Fit_in_Folsom Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Snowshoeing is hard work! Go for that. You can do it anywhere!

Cross Country skiing is great if accessible.

You can do this!!!
  • jenniferjeanne84
    jenniferjeanne84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I continue to run on the days where it's not too cold ( above -20C) and snowshoe...really its a question of ice and daylight more than anything. I love winter running!

Skating / hockey is also good depending if you have a local rink, or arena. (as others have said)

We have groomed crosscountry trails in my village too... maybe ask your town office if they have any winter activities they sponsor?