Whats YOUR reason for gaining weight???

Options

Replies

• XXElmaXX
    Options
    I was always very very skinny. I started to gain in me teenage years and have been fighting the weight ever since.
    The biggest reason is bad habits like too big portiouns and lack of exercise/activity.
    I´m not much of a junk food person, I love homemade food and would pick homemade over junk food any time.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I gained because my mom passed away from cancer when I was 20 years old and I went into a deep depression for a few years. I quit playing my sports and working out and I just ate and drank and partied as hard as I could. When I snapped out of it, I had gone from 5'11" 160 lbs and athletic to 330 lbs in 6 years. I was miserable. So last year I decided to make a change and I have lost over 100 pounds so far. I want to make my mom proud :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Not having any idea how calories or TDEE work. Always being naturally slim and stupidly assuming I'd always stay that way, no matter what I ate. :noway: And then after 20 lbs sneakily crept up on me without even realizing it, I got pregnant and gained 15 more. Never again, though. :wink:

edited to clarify: never again letting weight creep up on me unchecked, not about being pregnant, lol. I fully plan on having several more kids.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight since I was a child, it (and I) grew out of control. I was 185lbs in 5th grade. I hated myself, had no confidence and used food and humor to mask my depression. I assumed no guy would want me, so I just became the self-depreciating unattractive friend. (If you can't be pretty, be funny?). I know my family history (my mom) was severely overweight and practiced a lot of emotional eating. It was a learned behavior that I still have a difficult time controlling.

At 26, right after marrying, went into a medical study for Victoza prior to its FDA approval, and I lost 70lbs (from 240 to 170!). Little did I know how much of a manipulator my SO would be. He didn't really ever approve of my weight loss because it made him self conscious and suspicious that I was fooling around on him. I just wanted to lose weight for myself! The last year of my marriage was rough, and finally tanked and so I have regained 30 of the 70lbs I lost... but I am back here so I'm working on it!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy and I like food. That's all and that's it.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Binge eating during a bad marriage. Dumped the husband, dumped the weight....
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    at first my weight gain was done consciously because of a sport i played. at one point in my life i was really small and people never really took me seriously or i'd have people just completely disregard what i was saying by pushing me or picking me and laughing about it.

once i got to college, i started playing rugby and found out i was really good at it, my coaches suggested i gain weight and power. i did really well and would have had a chance to play for the US national team if i hadnt been injured.

i really like the feeling of being strong and powerful, so i think after rugby i just subconsciously equated that with being bigger. i did notice that the bigger i got, the more comfortable i felt expressing my opinions and speaking up for myself (i had a huge problem with that when i was smaller ).

plus i've always had large boobs and i hated the comments and attention i'd get when i was 28JJ and the rest of me was a size 4. i especially hated how people just assumed i was slutty. at least when you're fat with big boobs everything is balanced out

right now my main thing with weight loss is that i have to remind myself that i dont need to be physically bigger to feel safe. i've long since found my voice and i know longer need the extra cushioning :smile: plus i've taken self defense so i'm pretty confident i'd know what to do now if some guy tried to cop a feel
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My excuse is what most peoples probably is, weather they want to admit it or not, I was too lazy to get up and exercise and I ate way too much.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I stopped exercising regularly.
  • redcat72
    redcat72 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Depression and alcoholism (which came first?? :) ). Put on over 100 lbs in about 3 years.
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    laziness and eating way too much
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT question. For me it was a whole mess of things. Lack of knowledge about proper nutrition or portion sizes. No/poor impulse control. Athlete in high school... school sports ended while eating habits did NOT change. Freshman 15...20.. happy relationship with now husband... up 30.... basically laziness, hatred of exercise in general, and love of TV. Mindless snacking in front of the television... 40 pounds. Sedentary job... 50 pounds. Oops.

50 pounds are now off. I can't imagine having it back on me. I love being active now and am a bit of a fitness nut when it comes to food and nutrition. I still love great food, but I know how to balance it with an active lifestyle. Loved reading everyone's stories!
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I like to eat and drink more than I like to move my **s off the couch. :laugh:

I've been a "solid girl" my whole life, and it's always been about eating habits and my inherent laziness. There's nothing I enjoy more than munching while I sit and read a good book....for hours! Over the years I can't even imagine how many calories I ate just sitting and reading. I used to sit with a tub of margarine and a package of crackers and just butter and eat them....Damn you Judy Blume, you made me fat!! :wink:
  • ccb1128
    Options
    The Standard American Diet (SAD), USDA MyPlate, bad science & information regarding nutrition, etc
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    No real reason. Can chalk it up to being lazy and not even bothering to pay attention to my caloric intake. WTF was my problem? Geez.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Great stories. Well not great, but you know what I mean.

I haven't gained a TON but I just love to eat. I have always been able to eat what I wanted and not gain any weight. I actually didn't think I was gaining weight, but it slowly crept up. I'm 30 right now, and i'm not letting this crap creep up on me. I refuse to gain anymore weight and just let myself go. I don't want to use the excuse that just because I'm getting older, i'm going to get fatter. I see too much of that and I don't want to be a statistic!
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Former athlete who kept eating and drinking like an athlete after college. I love food. Stressful desk job with long hours wherein didn't pay attention to myself. I love food. Polycystic ovarian disease and underactive thyroid. Did I mention I love,food? Friends who like to eat and drink. Two kids in 17 months. Did I mention I love food?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Raised with very unhealthy eating habits as a kid+the worst genes ever. My mom was a successful real estate agent and worked lots of evenings. Most of our dinners were fast food or in sit -down restautrants.

My dad and stepmom were the opposite and dinner everynight was hamburger helper, lots of bread and other high carb and high fat foods. Everything was calorie dense and lacking lots of nutrition. we had ice cream almost every night and my parents would let me stuff 2+ cups of ice cream in a bowl... every night.

I went through some pretty crazy hormonal issues as a teen. Bad acne, facial and chest hair and was diagnosed with PCOS after having my son. I did manage to lose 50 pounds by eating 900-1100 calories a day but after meeting my fiance and slacking off a bit, it didn't take me long to gain most back.

Live and learn: 1800 calories and strength training is much better to me this time around.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's a whole mess of things:

Bad eating habits that started as a child. My mother would feed us as much as we wanted and pretty much whatever we wanted as long as we said we were hungry. She had an "I'm a bad mom" complex and would do things like giving us whatever we wanted to make herself feel like a good mom.

No real knowledge of nutrition. Food = nutrition.
    It didn't help that all of food growing up orginated from a box or can and was drenched in salt and margarine before being served.

I was a pretty active child. I played outside every day. I was a tomboy and I played basketball, street hockey, football, climbed trees etc every day. I was a little chubby, but nothing out of control. I was called "fat girl" by all of my cousins and peers (I was maybe 5-10 lbs heavier than them, only about 5-10lbs overweight PERIOD, but kids are cruel)
    Fat Girl became my persona; I embraced being heavier and didnt mind when the pounds began to be packed on.

The TV era began when we moved away from our friends and I was 12. I no longer did any sports or outside activities, but still ate like there was no tomorrow.

When I was 17, I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. I was put on different meds. I jumped from 180 (oh, how I MISS that weight!) to 220 in about 4 months. Stopped taking the meds, visited an eating disorder website, figured, hey, I'll use these tips to lose weight! Dropped the 40+ in about 4 months, started losing my hair and my breath was rancid/teeth were messed up from all the vomiting. Got pregnant with my daughter and was forced to stop my disordered eating. I had her, went back to disordered eating. Three kids, 20 fad diets, ED recovery and regular life stresses (miscarriage, job loss, bankruptcy) and I gained 127lbs. I have lost a few, but still have a lot to go