calories really all that matter?

I eat a pretty well balanced diet full of healthy foods, but I was just wondering.. as far as weight loss/gain/management goes, is calories in calories out the only thing that really matters? Does a persons carb,protein and fat percentages really matter as long as the person is within their intended calorie range? Like for example, many people think it is a specific macronutrient that makes you gain weight (fat/protein/carbohydrates). That would be why we have the Atkins diet and so on. But this theory would not be correct because only EXTRA CALORIES can make you gain weight right? Am I correct in saying that a person can eat whatever they want and how much they want as long as it doesn't put them outside their goal calories for the day?

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Medical issues aside, yes weight loss is all about calories. You could lose weight staying in a deficit eating nothing but Twinkies. However, it would not be the healthiest approach. I, personally, hit my macronutrients for health and stay within my calorie limits. I enjoy not having to cut my ice cream or fast food and I'm seeing results for my efforts.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    By reducing calories you're naturally going to be reducing everything else (i.e. carbs, fats, sodium).

You can lose weight on various 'diets' like Atkins, but it's hard to maintain. It's best to make lifestyle changes, not 'diet'.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    For weight issue, yes calories in/calories out is the crux of things. If you wanna eat all your calories in bread you can; you might feel a little crappy but! As long as you're within your calorie limit/goal/whatever you will be fine.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Am I correct in saying that a person can eat whatever they want and how much they want as long as it doesn't put them outside their goal calories for the day?

That would be more or less completely correct for a sedentary person. The more active the individual, the more macros matter, so the less correct it becomes.

There is more than one variable in the overall equation...
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Yup, weight management alone is all about calories, but being healthy goes a lot deeper than that. It would be an advantage to think about things like macronutrients, vitamins, minerals, fiber, strength/endurance goals, etc. Counting calories is only the tip of the iceberg.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Yes (and no).

Yes, because when it comes to weight loss, calories in/calories out is more or less all that matters. (There are those for whom there are other variables- thyroid conditions come to mind).

You can theoretically lose weight on just a diet of jellybeans and cupcakes, but it won't make you feel so hot after a while, since you'll be missing out on proteins and vitamins and salt and all kinds of nutrients not found in cupcakes. Also, since "junk" foods are typically very calorically dense, you probably *won't* lose weight on a diet of cupcakes and jellybeans, because you'll hit your calorie limit for the day long before you feel sated, so you will have just one more cupcake.

This is also partially why some people cut out certain macros, like carbs. Portion control comes easier to some than others. Some need to practice portion control on foods they are less likely to binge on (I am less likely to have seconds of pie than cake; therefore, cannot order cake, only pie until I am in the habit of saying no to seconds). Some just straight up have to say goodbye to cake.

But your body isn't going to look at carbs or alcohols or whatever macro the fad-of-the-week is avoiding and say "aha! Dairy fat! Store THIS in the thighs!" unless you're eating more than you're burning in a given day.
  • xSTx
    xSTx Posts: 56 Member
    Yes (and no).

Yes, because when it comes to weight loss, calories in/calories out is more or less all that matters. (There are those for whom there are other variables- thyroid conditions come to mind).

You can theoretically lose weight on just a diet of jellybeans and cupcakes, but it won't make you feel so hot after a while, since you'll be missing out on proteins and vitamins and salt and all kinds of nutrients not found in cupcakes. Also, since "junk" foods are typically very calorically dense, you probably *won't* lose weight on a diet of cupcakes and jellybeans, because you'll hit your calorie limit for the day long before you feel sated, so you will have just one more cupcake.

This is also partially why some people cut out certain macros, like carbs. Portion control comes easier to some than others. Some need to practice portion control on foods they are less likely to binge on (I am less likely to have seconds of pie than cake; therefore, cannot order cake, only pie until I am in the habit of saying no to seconds). Some just straight up have to say goodbye to cake.

But your body isn't going to look at carbs or alcohols or whatever macro the fad-of-the-week is avoiding and say "aha! Dairy fat! Store THIS in the thighs!" unless you're eating more than you're burning in a given day.

This right here!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I was just wondering.. as far as weight loss/gain/management goes, is calories in calories out the only thing that really matters?

For some people yes, for others no. Disease, food allergy or intollerance or sensitivity, hormonal imbalance, and other things can affect fat loss. And, weight is not 100% fat so there are variables beyond fat loss at play.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,905 Member
    With no hormonal or other health issues, for weight loss then yes.

For optimal health, then no.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition