Macronutrient ratios for swimmers

Options
I just read through the following article:

http://www.performancefoodcenters.com/wp-content/uploads/Editorial.Swimmers.pdf

The article says the following about the ratios:
"The macronutrients should be consumed in the following ratios. Generally speaking, the most middle distance swimmers who use the glycolytic system should target macronutrient ratios of 55% carbohydrate, 30% protein and 15% fat. If you are primarily using your oxidative energy system, then tweak the carbs to 60%, the protein to 20% and the fat to 20%. Conversely, if you are involved in mostly power swimming, tweak the protein to 25% and fat to 20%, leave the carbs alone at 55%."

According to these ratios I would need to eat 190 gr of protein on a rest day, and nearly 240 gr of protein on a swimming day.
That's 3.5gr of protein per kg body weight (I'm 67kg). I find that a lot. My current ratio is set at half of that.

What's your opinion?

edited for spelling correction.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Wait wut? How many calories are you allowing yourself?
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Depends on the duration of swimming. But generally speaking about 3200-3500cal on swimming days, 2500 on rest days.
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be 45%krill 35%shrimp20%seaweed
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The general rule of thumb for protien is 1 gr of protein for every pound of lean body mass (+/- 10%) and 190-240 gr sounds right for your weight.

I couldn't eat enough when I swam durning HS. But 40 grams of protein 4 times a day will put you at 160 grams and you just have to add in a little bit more.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Are you a competitive swimmer?

• sanderdejonge
    Options
    The general rule of thumb for protien is 1 gr of protein for every pound of lean body mass (+/- 10%) and 190-240 gr sounds right for your weight.

I couldn't eat enough when I swam durning HS. But 40 grams of protein 4 times a day will put you at 160 grams and you just have to add in a little bit more.

Why so much protein? The health centre of my country (the Netherlands) advises 1.2 - 1.4gr protein per kg of body mass for my activity level. Which would be about 100gr on rest days. For body builders the advise is 1.7 - 1.8gr, but I don't consider myself a body builder, swimming is rather endurance. You're suggesting me to take over 2gr protein / kg.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Percentages don't work particularly well beyond a general conceptual guide, imo. Once you get to higher than normal calories, they can get really goofy.

USA Swimming also recommends 1.4-1.8 g/kg protein. And 9-10 g/kg carbs. But those are minimums, so you aren't hard capped at that amount.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I think 1.4g per kg of body weight on rest days and 1.7g per kg of body weight on training days will be fine given your sport.

Calculating according to % can lead to some weird results.
  • sanderdejonge
    Options
    Percentages don't work particularly well beyond a general conceptual guide, imo. Once you get to higher than normal calories, they can get really goofy.

USA Swimming also recommends 1.4-1.8 g/kg protein. And 9-10 g/kg carbs. But those are minimums, so you aren't hard capped at that amount.
    I think 1.4g per kg of body weight on rest days and 1.7g per kg of body weight on training days will be fine given your sport.

Calculating according to % can lead to some weird results.

I agree that ratios can get goofy/lead to weird results. I've always converted the g/kg protein to what % I would need. With my current ratio's that's about exactly 1.4gr/kg on rest days and 1.8gr/kg on training days. Which is what you're both suggesting.

Thanks!