Cooking Salmon tonight for the first time.....suggestions...

Options
I am venturing out of my comfort zone and I am gonna cook some frozen wild salmon fillets and I am wondering how I should prepare it and make it taste good. We eat alot of mild fish like tilapia, perch, cod but salmon is a first for us. I need something that wont add alot of extra carbs being I am on a strict carb intake. Maybe no more than 5-7g of carbs added on. If you have any ideas or suggestions....please let me know. Thanks!

Replies

• Hermit4Hire
    Options
    wrap it in spinach leaves and throw it on the grill. No extra calories and it steams with smoky flavor...
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Yumm... I LOVE salmon. This may sound boring, but I like it cooked plain - brushed in a tiny bit of olive oil and either cooked in the oven or in a fry-pan on the stove. Salmon has a wonderful flavor all by itself. It's great with almost any veggie as a side dish - they're low carb/calorie. Personally I like spinach-based salads.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Make foil pouches and grill/bake.

Put a little bit of cooking spray on a square of aluminum foil (or buy the foil roasting bags) then put your salmon fillet on top of that. Add seasonings of your choice: lemon pepper, cajun seasoning, dill, etc, and a few slices of onion and celery. Add a bit of lemon juice (fresh squeezed is best -- you can even toss the rind into the pouch). Then fold up the edges to make a sealed pouch. Cook for long enough that the flesh starts to flake.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    though i'm not sure about carbs

I put my salmom skin side down in a glass baking dish. i sprinkle with herbs and pepper, then top with sliced lemon. (You can also just top it with a store bought pesto). i use water or white wine <3 to cover the salmom about half way up the filet and then put it in the oven (set to broil) for about 20 minutes. to serve separate salmon from skin and disguard cooking liquid (it can be used to flavor a pasta if you aren't watching carbs. try with a wedge of laughing cow cheese (herb and garlic) to make a light thin cream sauce)

It looks great and taste wonderfully fresh, and it's impressive enough for dinner parties (I make a side dish for everyone but tend to put mine over a salad). I still have to cook for others so this may or may not work for exactly what you are looking for but it is delicious!
  • traceysturn
    Options
    Mmmm love salmon! I pack mine up in little tin foil packages w/ a lil olive oil & old bay seasoning & toss on the grill or in the oven for 20 mins. You can also season w/ S&P & dill weed. Super simple & ooooh so good! Enjoy!
  • Mervy
    Mervy Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm a day late but I have made "20 minute Skillet Salmon" from the Kraftcanada.com web site. It gives the nutritional info. It's yummy.
  • agtony65
    agtony65 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It is best to grill salmon but if you are baking try wrapping it in foil and sprinkle some O'Bay or garilic power with black pepper. Some lemon juice after it's done helps too. Don't let it cook too long or it gets dry. It should be pink and flaky.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I just put mine in a non stick skillet and sprinkle a generous amount of Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime on them.
  • fxdl2k2
    fxdl2k2 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    We like our salmon spicy! Spray it with a cooking spray and then sprinkle with a liberal amount of cayenne (red) pepper, white pepper, garlic powder, a touch of sea salt, and a sprinkling of lemon juice. Throw on the grill for ~8 - 10 minutes until flaky. Serve over a spicy brown rice. I cook the brown rice in Rotel and water with additional cayenne. Did I say we like our salmon spice enough to make us cry? :sad: