Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weigh foods before or after cooking??

tigerblue
tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
When figuring nutrition content of meats, do you weigh them before cooking or after?

Replies

• feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    I've heard before cooking. I'm curious though about people weighing produce-do you weigh a whole apple, or after it has been cored...or does it matter that much?
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    I've heard before cooking. I'm curious though about people weighing produce-do you weigh a whole apple, or after it has been cored...or does it matter that much?

I weigh the whole apple. Anything left over is just a bonus 5 calories I didn't account for.
  • moefinch
    moefinch Posts: 31 Member
    I hired a nutrition coach who designed a custom plan for me just about 10 days ago. I am instructed to weigh meats after cooking. Pretty much everything else is before (ie. quinoa, oats, veggie)
  • i weigh everything before.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    It depends on the specific entry... I try to weigh my food before cooking, so I look for entries marked "raw." If I forget to weight it raw, or can't, then I look for the entries with the style of cooking (like "broccoli, steamed").
  • sdhunter8
    sdhunter8 Posts: 15 Member
    I weight some things before, but most of it I weight after cooking. Especially if making soups or stews, veggies
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Most nutrition facts are listed in their unprepared form. Assume that's correct unless the entry or label says otherwise. For instance, bacon is listed assuming it's been cooked in the skillet with most of its fat intact.