High protein diet

Options
OK, so I have used my fitness pal for years, I dropped 55 lbs all together and have kept it off for 3 years now. I am now at a point where I want to take my fitness to the next level. I have changed my diet to a high protein diet. I am not avoiding carbs on purposes, but I seem to never be hungry now. I eat most of my protein in lean meats. I find myself forcing myself to eat bc I am in a constant state of full but need to make my calories for the day so I eat when I don't want to. My diet also consists of lots of veggies, yogerts, and some fruits. I wanted to know if this is normal when your on a high protein diet to never get hungry? When I was strictly on counting calories I was always hungry! Has anyone else had this happen on a high protein diet?

Replies

• Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    This was my experience EXACTLY when I tested Paleo, which is high protein and fat. Protein and fat are excellent at satiating hunger. I try to eat high protein myself, but I don't worry about 'if it's paleo or not', not for any phobia of carbs ,but because I know that once I start eating sugary or starchy foods, I don't stop until they're gone and I feel gross and I've eaten my days worth of calories in a meal. But if I stick to delicious steak, chicken, eggs, etc, all served with wonderful fresh steamed veggies like cauliflower, broccoli and carrots, then I'm satisfied and full and don't go looking for a snack within the hour.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    From what I know of, Fats and Proteins generally take longer to digest then many carbohydrates. You're not hungry as often because your body is probably still digesting. This can be a common issue with carbohydrates.

On a side note, I commend you for that diet. I could never avoid my sweet sweet carbs!