Unwanted weight going up while taking vitamins and supplemen

blessedbirdie
blessedbirdie Posts: 41
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone else noticed their weight goes up or you don't lose as much on vitamins and supplements?
I stick to my 1400 calories and notice when I had to go off all vit and supp. for a medical test I lost more weight that week.
Now since back on them I am not losing as much again.
This has happened twice now.
I take a
multi vit
B complex
Vit D
DHEA & Omega 3
I continued with my blood pressure and thyroid medication those weeks.
All purchased from Natures Sunshine or Life Exstension (Top companies). No bad fillers and such in them.

Maybe it is just me but wondered if taking vit. and supp. knows it can cause this.
Thanks,
Roberta (starting to notice the pants are harder to keep up on me) That's a good thing. Down 20+ now.

Replies

• newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    i've had steady weight loss till i quite taking my vitamins and then it tapered off a little
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    *Fair warning this is basically a guess*

Your liver is responsible for processing the vitamins you're taking and for converting your stored fat to energy. It's possible that it's a bit over taxed with all the vitamins, and so it puts the fat conversion on the back burner.

Or . . . one of the side effect of one of the vitamins might be fluid retention. Or you might be retaining fluids for some other reason.

Or it was just a strange coincidence. I know I loose weight is spurts mostly. Maybe your spurt coincided with the week you were off the vitamins?

As long as going off those vitamins for a week at a time isn't likely to cause any major complications, I'd try it again a few times to see if it keeps happening. If it does, talk to a nutritionist about getting your vitamins from your food and going off the pill variety long term.

Good luck. :-)
  • *Fair warning this is basically a guess*

Your liver is responsible for processing the vitamins you're taking and for converting your stored fat to energy. It's possible that it's a bit over taxed with all the vitamins, and so it puts the fat conversion on the back burner.

Or . . . one of the side effect of one of the vitamins might be fluid retention. Or you might be retaining fluids for some other reason.

Or it was just a strange coincidence. I know I loose weight is spurts mostly. Maybe your spurt coincided with the week you were off the vitamins?

As long as going off those vitamins for a week at a time isn't likely to cause any major complications, I'd try it again a few times to see if it keeps happening. If it does, talk to a nutritionist about getting your vitamins from your food and going off the pill variety long term.

Good luck. :-)

Hey I did not think about the liver issue. Yes with all the protein I had to eat (dr ordered diet) it is my liver getting a workout. You might have hit on it. Will talk to him but he is the one giving me the supplements and I can hear him now saying to keep taking them. lol
This discussion has been closed.