"You look anorexic"

Options
Anybody else sick of this ignorant comment?

Although far from a realistic goal I'm noticing certain areas of my body have become extremely boney!
As a female will weight training to target muscle building help mask this?

For example I'm a pear body shape, so even though my lower body is still untoned my ribcage is protruding.
It makes me look underweight and attracts unwanted attention as I'm struggling to hide it.

Replies

• srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. People can be ignorant and rude.

Unfortunately we cannot choose where the weight comes off first! My partner noticed my ribs last night and I have noticed my collar bones protuding more...if only the fat from those areas was coming off my arms and thighs!
  • rabbitinwinter
    Options
    I would think that lifting weights would help, yes. :/ I'm sorry you keep getting comments like that, they're pretty annoying, aren't they?

c: Have fun toning up.

(Also acro yoga is a great way to tone up, and oh gosh is that stuff fun.)
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    My ribcage is protruding as well, but I'm nowhere near underweight. I have a large ribcage compared to my hips, it is what it is. If someone is actually concerned about your weight, the best you can do is just assure them that you are eating properly and have no intention of becoming underweight, and thank them for their concern.
  • nicenhealthy
    Options
    Bump.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So your bones are starting to protrude, but people's reaction to it is "ignorant".

Okee doke.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    as someone who does have anorexia nervosa and is recovering, i definitely do not like comments like that. it is offensive and people are very ignorant about the disorder.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i mostly get annoyed bc anorexia is not only defined by weight but is much more about the mental status and emotions that come with it, and people who say that almost seem to put off the fact that anorexia is way more about the mind and feelings and emotions, and almost seem to dismiss the importance of that by saying someone who is skinny is automatically anorexic, as opposed to an anorexic that may not be sickly thin almost implying that person's anorexia isn't as important. idk that's how i see it anyway but comments like that really get to me, maybe bc i am living with it, idk.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Most people are using it as short hand for "holy crap, you're way to skinny". I can appreciate that those suffering from the actual diagnosed condition could find that a bit annoying. But not everybody is going to be an expert in everything (or even anything), and in everyday conversation we all use shorthand for all kinds of things that would send others loopy if they took it too literally.
  • Kiayaxo
    Kiayaxo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well yes it is ignorant as the people who are so quick to judge you as anorexic are not willing to take the second needed to educate themselves about your eating habits, goals or genetic disposition before they label you with a negative connotation.

Annorexia is more than visible collar bones. It's a struggle that should never be belittled in such a way!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Anybody else sick of this ignorant comment?

Although far from a realistic goal I'm noticing certain areas of my body have become extremely boney!
    As a female will weight training to target muscle building help mask this?

For example I'm a pear body shape, so even though my lower body is still untoned my ribcage is protruding.
    It makes me look underweight and attracts unwanted attention as I'm struggling to hide it.

Nobody really sees my ribcage, so I never get comments like that because I have quite enough fat other places, lol. I just have a big ribcage. But yes! I was just noticing yesterday that I'm definitely getting muscles over my ribs! That never happened until I added in a Dumbbell Pullover to my routine.

It's a really awesome lift, imho. I added it for my lats, but the serratus muscles popping up are pretty darned cool :) My ribs are quite visible, so it's nice to see muscle there!
  • Kiayaxo
    Options
    Unless I'm the only person around nowdays who recognises that some people have larger frames than others and my healthy body looks different to others!
  • Kiayaxo
    Options
    Thankyou for the tip! It's really an issue I'm struggling with so any pointers I will try :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Annorexia is more than visible collar bones.

According to your OP, you have considerably more than just collar bones being visible.
    It's a struggle that should never be belittled in such a way!

Nobody is belittling it. They are expressing concern for you. If anything, that is complimentary.
  • Kiayaxo
    Options
    I'm trying to see where your coming from.
    But imho it's a comment that caters to an unhealthy state of mind many young girls are falling into nowdays.
    I could never see looking "mentally and physically sick"/ anorexic as a compliment because that's not my goals.
    I think too many people could see this as a compliment, I'm just highlighting that it's a sticky issue I'm recently facing that's causing me concern for the influenceable girls who clasp onto it as affirmation!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I hate that, I'm really sorry someone was actually insensitive and ignorant enough to tell you that -.-
    I cannot stand when people tell me that.
    I've always had small legs (I carry my weight all in my stomach unfortunately), and occasionally someone will start to feel them awhile exclaiming how I need to put on weight. Oh but wait, it gets better. Then they start poking around OTHER areas on my body (arms, sides, etc.) looking for comments to make (such small wrists! you need muscle!)
    Erm.
    Even if I were the tiniest person on the planet, SHUT UP AND DON'T TOUCH ME.
    Sorry, had to vent that out >.>
    I had to put up with that on Thanksgiving, when I went off maintenance and overate 4,000 calories.
    Then had to deal with family trying to force more down my throat.
    Long story short, I hate my family gatherings :p