2000 calorie daily deficit?

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Does not sound like a great plan to me. That is a lot of stress on the body for not a lot of positive.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I am so hungry. Help me.

This will be the title of one of his future threads.
  • I've done a similarly fast loss before, lost 10lbs in one week, my deficit was all by exercise, over 3k cals/day, weights and elliptical every day with hiking/swimming/biking thrown in as well. I just wanted to see how fast I could lose for a competition, and though I did it, it was really tough by the end, and I ended up gaining it all back pretty fast and then some. I actually didn't lose strength, but this was because I was already lifting heavy and I didnt do it for long and lifted daily. However even with lifting daily I still wouldn't recommend it, I was tired, irritable and it all came back relatively quickly.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    This would be a more sensible way to lose weight...
    JJnXhns.jpg

OP seriously set a reasonable deficit and exercise plan before you um die!

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    200-500 deficit of TDEE is what is usually recommended, you are making a WAY too big gap. You will lose muscle an starve yourself. Please don't do this.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    OP:
    Why?

just trying for a kickstart before a holiday vacation, as i always gain on these trips...figure i can go back to bulking after i see friends and family

I think your friends and family would rather see you healthy, and alive..
    The only reason you gain weight on these trips is because you are so scared of gaining weights on these trips.
    You obsess, you restrict (as is obvious from this topic), and by the time the trip comes, it will be 'omg, must eat all food', and you will binge and feel horrible.

Just act normal, do your regular workouts now, stay in a healthy calorie range with maybe a small deficit, and have fun on the trip.
    If you eat normally there, without stress, and take some walks and stuff, othing will happen.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    I am doing it right now. My BMR is about 2500 and I add around 1000 with exercise. Have been eating only 1000 calories of non-processed non-starchy veggies and meat. So I have a deficit of 2500 per day. Scale is pretty much inline with that - Initial loss was much quicker due to water loss but after two weeks it is about 5 lb / week. If you go with 2000 deficit you should lose 4lb/week.

I didn't think you included your BMR in your deficit. Or am I reading this post wrong?
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    I can't imagine doing a 2000 calorie workout every day-- and if I did, there's no way in hell I could keep my food intake at 2000-3000 calories.

That sounds like a recipe for injury to me.
    I don't think it's too hard to do it, lets say, for 5 days or 7 days max... Then you'd need a rest day. It's equivalent to possibly two gym sessions, one in the morning and one in the evening.
    But think it would be hard to maintain.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    What's the huge rush?

I get that the holidays stress people out in terms of weight loss, but you're just going to make yourself even more stressed trying to do this. Putting a deadline on weight loss seems like a great way to make yourself crazy.

My personal experience is that too large a deficit leads to severe cravings and needing to eat everything in sight. I think that a month of running an extreme deficit followed by a few days of being around all that holiday food is a recipe for disaster. And that's in addition to all the other side effects of under-eating. I also worry about injury.

Be patient. Eat a reasonable amount. Lift weights and eat enough to retain your LBM. And be patient.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Intramuscular fat:

3223312899_8ee3cffe91.jpg

Obvious when you think about it. :-)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    OP:
    Why?

just trying for a kickstart before a holiday vacation, as i always gain on these trips...figure i can go back to bulking after i see friends and family

Every time someone tries to "kickstart" their diet/metabolism/fat loss (etc), a kitten dies.

Broscience FTW
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    OP:
    Why?

Every time someone tries to "kickstart" their diet/metabolism/fat loss (etc), a kitten dies.

Broscience FTW

tumblr_m2lcbtB88Y1rqfhi2o1_250.gif
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    I'm hoping someone can explain to me why anyone does a 2000 calorie a day deficit (even by exercising THAT much) just for a holiday??????? I don't get it and I'm trying to understand why everyone is in such a hurry to drop weight? Perhaps I am missing the point; but why in the world wouldn't you just eat and exercise reasonably and enjoy the holiday just like the other 11 1/2 months of a year? In these past 9 months the one thing I have learned is that this isn't supposed to be a diet or a temporary exercise thing to lose weight.....it's supposed to be a lifestyle you can sustain for years to come....are you planning on making a 2000 calorie-a-day-exercise routine normal as a lifestyle? I know if your goal is marathons I can see 2000 calories in a daily run; but even those training programs aren't daily and they include "short days" and "long days" so it likely might not average out to 2000 daily deficit.....

Help explain the thinking to a newbie here because I can tell I'm not getting it.....please and thank you :)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    skeptical.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Different people have different goals.

Though why some threads with very aggressive goals live and some are locked, I don't know. I imagine this one has a short life.

I don't think anyone said "kickstart my metabolism". Sometimes a kickstart is just a kickstart.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Different people have different goals.

Though why some threads with very aggressive goals live and some are locked, I don't know. I imagine this one has a short life.

I don't think anyone said "kickstart my metabolism". Sometimes a kickstart is just a kickstart.

keep-calm-and-kickstart-my-heart.png
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    It is. And it has a link in it to Lyle's 'rapid fat loss' ebook, which if you're going to do a crash diet, why not do one from someone knowledgeable?

I recall reading that the Biggest Loser contestants who lost the most weight are the ones who were sidelined by injuries and couldn't exercise. They put the others through all the crap we see on tv not because it speeds weight loss so much as it makes good tv. (Well, YMMV, I never liked seeing Jillian barking and people puking and didn't make it past one season.)
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    consistently running a very large deficit will quickly deplete your glycogen stores. without eating more food to replenish them, your body will turn to stored fat AND muscle to make up the difference. your muscle mass is more metabolically available as energy than stored fat, so your body will burn both to meet its needs. therefore, you will lose muscle mass. you can try to retain as much muscle mass as possible by lifting and getting sufficient protein, but muscle mass will still be lost and it will be more than would be lost on a moderate deficit.

if you run such deficits for a long period of time, your body will start to compensate by getting more efficient and neglecting some low priority functions (such as hair health).

it's up to you whether those consequences are worthwhile.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    IMO the best thing to lose is the mentality that instant gratification is the only way to accomplish anything.