Got made fun of at crossfit

Options
first time going to this new place by my house. heard good things so i tried it out. first when i came in people asked me what "box" id been working out at before. i asked what they meant and then told them no its actually my first time. they kinda turned their back on me when i mentioned id just been doing more of a bodybuilder workout. had an ok time working on my snatch (that id never done before) but when i couldnt do as much some guys they made some snarky remarks. made me feel uncomfortable. anyone else have any experiences like this?

Replies

• keithnphx
    keithnphx Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Find a new place to workout. You are there for you and only you. What anybody else can do, can lift, or can run doesn't matter. Your next workout should be running to a good gym! :wink:
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I don't do Crossfit, but it was like this at my gym when I first started. You can probs choose another place or you can ignore them and start building yourself in strength to satisfy yourself. You have to ask yourself: Are you there for the people or are you there for yourself? Some people don't really understanding that people have to begin somewhere..
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    What a CRAPPY feeling :(
    I'm sorry you felt like that, I hope that you can find another gym to go to.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If that's you in your profile pic I'd think you could probably teach most of them a thing or two!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    These people were acting like a bunch of high school girls. Even the guys.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If that's you in your profile pic I'd think you could probably teach most of them a thing or two!

Seriously! I do crossfit and most people there are super supportive and encouraging. They sound douchey and jealous. I would ignore if you can or find a different box (xfit gym).
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Those guys are ****bags.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    All Crossfit places aren't like that but like gyms, some of them are. Unfortunately sometimes it takes some shopping around to find the perfect fit. Good Luck!
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Ok feeling dumb but what is Crossfit?
  • hhafso
    Options
    Give it a few more times, sometimes Crossfit people get a little stuck in the ways of Crossfit and don't realize that not everyone knows their lingo. Personally I have seen a lot more results from going, I think having other people cheer you on and push you to do 10more pounds or that last rep starts to pay off quickly.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'd have been afraid to make any negative comments for fear of what you might do.

And I thought this only happened to overweight women not extremely fit men.

I'd stay and show them up when you can easily do more than them soon
  • lzjackson
    Options
    I tried crossfit for about two months this year (back in the summer) and had a great experience. I only stopped going because it was really expensive. I am definitely not in great shape and am looking to lose about 30lbs. At the "box" that I went to, everyone was very supportive and there were a wide variety of fitness levels present. The coaches and other members were always willing to give/show modifications and most people were only concerned about beating there own times/personal records. I am sorry that you had that experience but chances are there are several crossfit boxes in your area and if its something you really want to try, I would visit a few more to see what they are like.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    After you are done with your snatch, you can work on mine:wink:

I'm sure a lot of it is insecurity. ?.I mean, look at you..they probably did that because it was the only thing they could find to make fun of you about
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    It's not. He found the pic online.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1138351-going-to-try-1200-cal-diet
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe they were intimidated or jealous by your body? I am a woman, I am not going to claim to know how a man brain works, but if a girl said something snarky to someone who clearly looked great, that would be my conclusion.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Dang it...why didn't you tell me before I was perverted towards him?:(
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

Dang it...why didn't you tell me before I was perverted towards him?:(

LOL. Be careful with usernames like his ;)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yeah experienced it and didnt think it necessarily came from them wanting to be mean but i could be wrong

with me i got made fun of for breaking out my lifting gloves since i said i wanted to avoid callouses. i responded back by asking if he had a problem with my soft hands because his mom sure doesn't.

i met a friend there who had exclusively only did yoga and sometimes one of the instructors would tease her. she ended up not coming back. so i dunno i guess it depends on how you take teasing like that.

but in general i think the rule of thumb should be leave the teasing criticisms until you know the person and how they will react.
  • fishnbrah
    Options
    i assure you this pic is me. i was kidding in the other thread. theres more pics in profile i think. im just going to go back to my regular routine
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    had an ok time working on my snatch (that id never done before) but when i couldnt do as much some guys they made some snarky remarks.

Were you talking about your "snatch"?

Were these guys alive in the 70's?

I might snicker a bit if someone mentioned "working on their snatch"...