what kind of calories?

Options
Hi guys, where should most of my calories come from in order for me to lose weight? Would any calories count as long as I am taking a vitamin supplement or is there a formula I should adhere to? Help me out! PLEASE!! Thanks

Replies

• BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hi Mal! I think macronutrient ratios are really important to losing weight. I personally like a 40% protein/40% carb/20% fat ratio. I know some others prefer a 30% protein/40% carb/30% fat ratio. You want to have enough protein because it really does help you to feel fuller and in time will help those cravings subside. Welcome!

Are you exercising too?
  • luvmakeup4ever
    luvmakeup4ever Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    yes I exercise everyday on my elliptical I have at home for 45 minutes a day. I walk with my kids after dinner, too. So how would a plate of food be. Should I do the 3 oz of protein, lots of veggies and small amount of starch on every meal? How much protein (grams) should I eat a day so I can adjust my fitness pal requirements. Thank you
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Are you using the food diary here? It will tell you how much you should eat and what kind, in order to lose weight. Ie: You enter chicken breast and how large and the diary tells you how much was protein, carbs, etc. The diary also tells you how much more you can eat today to meet your carb/fat/protein goals.

Also, you should technically be eating 1-1.5g of protein for each pound of LEAN body weight. For me, at 33% body fat, I would take my weight (170 pounds) and deduct the 33% fat I have (56 pounds omg), leaving 113 pounds of lean body weight. So I need 113g of protein a day.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of links to help you find the ratios that are good for you. I use a 50/25/25 ratio. Everyone is different so it's hard to say what you should do.

http://naturalhealthperspective.com/food/dgtable.html
    http://caloriecount.about.com/metabolic-types-eating-ft93247
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi Mal! I think macronutrient ratios are really important to losing weight. I personally like a 40% protein/40% carb/20% fat ratio. I know some others prefer a 30% protein/40% carb/30% fat ratio. You want to have enough protein because it really does help you to feel fuller and in time will help those cravings subside. Welcome!

Proteins also keep your muscles strong and you feel much better. Always make sure you get the right amounts of the basic food groups and balance around those groups. My needs require me to be at 20% protein, 60% carbs., 20% fats. See, each of us vary depending on our activity levels. God Bless, Brenda
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    I know many people here think it matters but for the most part anything between 60% carb/25% fat/15% protein to 30% carb/30% fat/40% protein should work just fine. Study after study shows that the breakdown of macro nutrients doesn't change weight lost when calories are equivalent. Now if you have health problems then a specific breakdown based upon your needs may be more appropriate.

However, it is very important where those calories come from. If you eat more processed/sugary food then you will eat very little volume before you have used up all your calories and you will be hungry most of the time. It also won't help you get all the micro nutrients you need like vitamins and minerals. You can't simply eat crap and then take a vitamin supplement to fix it. You should try to eat as much whole food as possible, minimize processed food like white bread, pasta, and white rice. Not because carbs are bad for you but rather the volume of food to feel full, they are quickly digested leaving you with an empty stomach quicker, and the more processed/sugar type foods you eat the more you want so it kind of defeats the control your eating portion of the weight loss.

After you track your food for a while and try different things, you will find foods that have fewer calories yet keep you feeling full longer. You will also find foods that blow through calories quickly are not satisfying and then you can fine tune you daily diet.
  • luvmakeup4ever
    Options
    thank you everyone for the tips and references. I just read them and they helped a lot. U all are doing sooo good, keep it up!!!
  • luvmakeup4ever
    Options
    wow, you are absolutely right. I am finding that out right now as I reasearch this. You would think after taking anatomy and physiology, physics, and biology for 4 years on top of med school I would know this but unfortunately I don't. Thank you for your help, its going to really help me with this weight loss