Any raw vegans/ 801010'ers?

Options

Replies

• Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    It appears that people with eating disorders like to adopt a vegan diet. Apparently about 50% that have ED's have admitted to being vegan at one time or another.
    Not to derail OP but could you cite a reference for that percentage.

OP I admire you working on overcoming your ED but I would heed the advice of other pertaining to restricting your diet too intensely when you have/had an eating disorder...I am Vegan and approve of the lifestyle if you meet all of your nutritional and calorie needs but do feel concerned that if you put heavy restrictions on yourself you may cause triggers etc.

Good luck.

ETA: It is good that you are now questioning your motives (glad people actually listen to advice sometimes) Good luck with your recovery and the MFP community supports recovering ED sufferers...but never those that actively promote it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    It appears that people with eating disorders like to adopt a vegan diet. Apparently about 50% that have ED's have admitted to being vegan at one time or another.

OP I admire you working on overcoming your ED but I would heed the advice of other pertaining to restricting your diet too intensely when you have/had an eating disorder...I am Vegan and approve of the lifestyle if you meet all of your nutritional and calorie needs but do feel concerned that if you put heavy restrictions on yourself you may cause triggers etc.

Good luck.

ETA: It is good that you are now questioning your motives (glad people actually listen to advice sometimes) Good luck with your recovery and the MFP community supports recovering ED sufferers...but never those that actively promote it.
    I'll see if I can find a reference. I've seen it twice, both from vegan sites, but it's been a few years.

EDIT: Found lots here's 2

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22818732
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/01/vegetarianism-eating-disorders-more-likely_n_1729326.html
  • neanderthin
    Options

Good luck.

I'll see if I can find a reference. I've seen it twice, both from vegan sites, but it's been a few years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/01/vegetarianism-eating-disorders-more-likely_n_1729326.html
    I guess another question about people that want to try vegetarian or vegan lifestyles should be......could it be interfering with recovery from an eating disorder, or hiding one.
  • marionacat
    marionacat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm pretty much raw now, but I still have some cooked meals a couple of times a week. I'm not eating tons of food and my kcal intake is very low (under 1500), but I'm struggling with eating enormous amounts of fruit. I don't want to say that I'm vegan, but I've excluded dairy, eggs, fish and meat of my diet.
  • helen8328
    helen8328 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend a raw food diet if you are trying to gain weight. I read a study somewhere (I'll post it if I can find it) where a scientist ate the same foods as the chimpanzees she was studying. Even though she ate the same amount of calories she normally would she ending up loosing weight as its harder for our bodies to digest uncooked food and we don't get as many nutrients out of them.

She then did an experiment with mice to confirm this. The mice were fed uncooked food for a week and then cooked food another week in alternating weeks. The weeks they ate raw food they lost weight, but on the weeks they ate cooked foods they gained weight. It seems that cooking food breaks down the enzymes in it and makes it easier for our bodies to absorb the nutrients. Sorry if I'm waffling but I thought it good to know for anyone contemplating a raw food diet as you'd have to eat more food to get the same amount of nutrients.
  • VeganHippieLady
    VeganHippieLady Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I recently moved to a raw diet as well. Feel free to send a request :flowerforyou:
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Good luck.

I guess another question about people that want to try vegetarian or vegan lifestyles should be......could it be interfering with recovery from an eating disorder, or hiding one.

Veganism is not a diet, it's a simple philosophy that is best described as: "cause the least amount of harm to any living thing you possibly can, while not allowing yourself to be harmed in the process".
  • neanderthin
    Options

Good luck.

Veganism is not a diet, it's a simple philosophy that is best described as: "cause the least amount of harm to any living thing you possibly can, while not allowing yourself to be harmed in the process".
    For some it is, not all.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Good luck.

I can apply that philosophy to any well-thought out diet. Veganism doesn't have the monopoly on 'less harm' to living things.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

I can apply that philosophy to any well-thought out diet. Veganism doesn't have the monopoly on 'less harm' to living things.

A plant-based diet isn't perfect, nothing is, but it is the least harmful food choices in terms of both animal welfare and environmental sustainability.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Yes, malnutrition can lead into severely restricting diet and often leads to veganism, which usually results in further malnutrition. Most people think it works the other way around but it's often malnourishment that kicks off the cycle. In our society, even though there is too much "food" and majority are fat people are often not getting the nutrients required for a healthy body and brain.

I'm not picking on veganism because it restricts food; I also follow a lifestyle that many people consider restrictive but mine has been proven safe for millions of years while there are no known human societies that were completely vegan. I think it's theoretically possible for someone to be healthy on a vegan diet but it must be done with much knowledge and with natural, whole foods, perhaps modelling the Kitivan society who had a very high carb diet but were still healthy pre-contact. (They did still eat fish etc though.)

Seriously, processed food is very nutrient poor and those who deny that have their heads buried in the sand.

However, picking veganism because it is more "ethical" is a complete fallacy imo. All life is life, not just the big, cute, fuzzy creatures. Unfortunately we must consume life to live. All life is sentient.
  • neanderthin
    Options

A plant-based diet isn't perfect, nothing is, but it is the least harmful food choices in terms of both animal welfare and environmental sustainability.
    Are you saying that the acreage used for large vegetable planting has no impact on the animal or ground micro systems and environment as opposed to animal grazing.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

No, it's not. Extensive monoculture of soy and wheat and corn isn't very environmentally friendly. Animal welfare issues are easily solved by eating locally produced meat that one visits on the very farms they're raised on. That's something I do personally every time I purchase my eggs or meat.

Look, it's okay if you don't want to eat animal products. But without animals, farms cannot function as an isolated unit.
  • RaeLB
    Options

No, it's not. Extensive monoculture of soy and wheat and corn isn't very environmentally friendly. Animal welfare issues are easily solved by eating locally produced meat that one visits on the very farms they're raised on. That's something I do personally every time I purchase my eggs or meat.

Over 60% of the grain grown is to feed livestock for slaughter. It takes 10x more energy to produce meat products.

As far as animal welfare, I believe in animal liberation. I don't believe we have the right of "ownership" over other animals. That's why veganISM is important to me.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

Over 60% of the grain grown is to feed livestock for slaughter. It takes 10x more energy to produce meat products.

As far as animal welfare, I believe in animal liberation. I don't believe we have the right of "ownership" over other animals. That's why veganISM is important to me.

I don't eat grain-fed animals. Your argument doesn't work with my particular omnivorous diet. Since you've a strong belief in animal liberation, then we will not agree on much of anything so any further conversation is pointless.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me and join our group 'Happy Herbivores'. :) That way you don't have all the 'carnivores' jumping in and starting arguments when you just want to learn how to carb up ;):flowerforyou:
  • Carnivor0us
    Options
    Feel free to add me and join our group 'Happy Herbivores'. :) That way you don't have all the 'carnivores' jumping in and starting arguments when you just want to learn how to carb up ;):flowerforyou:

No arguments from me. Be a vegan and be happy!

But making absolute moral statements on subjective issues will make me respond.
  • RaeLB
    Options

I don't eat grain-fed animals. Your argument doesn't work with my particular omnivorous diet. Since you've a strong belief in animal liberation, then we will not agree on much of anything so any further conversation is pointless.

Grain fed or grass fed. The amount of animals raised for slaughter still uses more energy.

Not sure what you expect coming into a vegan thread arguing about veganism. Anyways, I feel bad co-opting the thread. Feel free to message me if you want to continue the discussion.
  • wonderbolt_in_training
    Options
    I just wanna say the love in this thread is awesome.
  • Carnivor0us
    Options

Grain fed or grass fed. The amount of animals raised for slaughter still uses more energy.

Not sure what you expect coming into a vegan thread arguing about veganism. Anyways, I feel bad co-opting the thread. Feel free to message me if you want to continue the discussion.

False. A cow eating grass on someone's small farm does not use more energy than tilling a huge field of some crop for human consumption. I don't feel bad for responding to a moral absolutist statement.

In any case, I am finished as well. No need to continue.