The number on the scale won't change.

Options
Hi everybody,
I'm in need of some help. The first 7kgs I lost, went quite smoothly - anywhere from 0.5kg-1kg a week. I work out at least four times a week combining both cardio and weights.
I eat well, usually around 1,300cals a day and I drink at least 8 cups of water. I don't eat junk, no sweets and no sugary drinks.

For the past two weeks I have stalled at 87.3kg-88kg. I just can't get below that 87.3 whilst nothing has changed in terms of my fitness plan. It is really, really frustrating and when I took my bi-weekly measurements last week, only my waist was smaller, everything else was the same as the last measurements.

I have no idea how to keep my weight moving down at this stage. I have banned myself from my scale until Saturday morning weigh-in (that would be a week of no weighing) but then this morning out of habit I stepped on the scale and saw that I was at 87.9kg! And this was before eating anything for the day and wearing only a tshirt and undies. As it is only Tuesday, I will not step on the scale again until Saturday morning.

Does anyone have any advice for me on how to keep going? What could be affecting this weightloss? I would understand if my measurements are at least going down but they are not - that is why I'm very worried and annoyed. Is there something that I'm missing? You can add me as a friend if you'd like to see my food diary.

Replies

• gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    TOM - I gain both around ovulation and around the actual period.

I started to weigh myself daily to get a more accurate picture and I gain as much as 2kg during that time (it's water and constipation). I usually see a tiny drop from my previous low on day 3 (like a 100g) and then the next day or the following day I have a large drop of about 800g.

By all means make sure you are logging as accurately as you can (weighing and measuring only the liquids, itemised logging etc), but keep doing what you are doing for the moment and see what it is like in 2 weeks time.
  • kroonha
    kroonha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    TOM - I gain both around ovulation and around the actual period.

I started to weigh myself daily to get a more accurate picture and I gain as much as 2kg during that time (it's water and constipation). I usually see a tiny drop from my previous low on day 3 (like a 100g) and then the next day or the following day I have a large drop of about 800g.

By all means make sure you are logging as accurately as you can (weighing and measuring only the liquids, itemised logging etc), but keep doing what you are doing for the moment and see what it is like in 2 weeks time.

I finished my period last Monday - and that's when this stall pretty much began.
    Previously, I weighed myself daily but when I don't see a loss, just a little up and down it really made me depressed so I thought I'd take a break this week and resume once my weight has stopped stalling.

I'm logging accurately - just as I have since I started here on MFP about two or so months ago so yeah. That's why I really don't know what has happened in the last week.
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Water weight, hormones, could be plenty of things I vary a lot too.

Do you lift heavy weights or go for lighter ones and more reps? You might want to try varying your workout routine if you tend to do the same kind of thing or even lay off completely for a few days. I got over my plateau by cutting back cardio and upping weights to heavy weights in shorter sets, saw a real difference in my body from doing this which is much more rewarding than that scale number!
  • kroonha
    Options
    Water weight, hormones, could be plenty of things I vary a lot too.

Do you lift heavy weights or go for lighter ones and more reps? You might want to try varying your workout routine if you tend to do the same kind of thing or even lay off completely for a few days. I got over my plateau by cutting back cardio and upping weights to heavy weights in shorter sets, saw a real difference in my body from doing this which is much more rewarding than that scale number!

I upped my weights in the middle of last week - I can now do a lot less reps but I also feel the difference after my work out.
    I haven't seen a difference in my body in a long while - as I mentioned, measurements haven't shown anything encouraging and I don't think my arms or legs look any more toned either. Hence the disappointment and concern about what's up with my progress.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Patience
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that you are retaining water due to the increase in your weights program. Are your muscles sore? When I start a new workout, my weight often doesn't decrease, and might even increase for at least a week, despite having the same calorie deficit.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Changing your workout could account for a stall (or even gain). Adding weight can cause you to break down your muscles more (a good thing) thus retaining more water to repair them (aka building muscle). 2 weeks isnt a stall... its just a fact of life. Dont stress it too much. You are eating right and working out. Give it another 4 weeks and then if its still stalled, check back in.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,
    I'm in need of some help. The first 7kgs I lost, went quite smoothly - anywhere from 0.5kg-1kg a week. I work out at least four times a week combining both cardio and weights.
    I eat well, usually around 1,300cals a day and I drink at least 8 cups of water. I don't eat junk, no sweets and no sugary drinks.

For the past two weeks I have stalled at 87.3kg-88kg. I just can't get below that 87.3 whilst nothing has changed in terms of my fitness plan. It is really, really frustrating and when I took my bi-weekly measurements last week, only my waist was smaller, everything else was the same as the last measurements.

I have no idea how to keep my weight moving down at this stage. I have banned myself from my scale until Saturday morning weigh-in (that would be a week of no weighing) but then this morning out of habit I stepped on the scale and saw that I was at 87.9kg! And this was before eating anything for the day and wearing only a tshirt and undies. As it is only Tuesday, I will not step on the scale again until Saturday morning.

Does anyone have any advice for me on how to keep going? What could be affecting this weightloss? I would understand if my measurements are at least going down but they are not - that is why I'm very worried and annoyed. Is there something that I'm missing? You can add me as a friend if you'd like to see my food diary.

honestly, don't stress about it too much unless you find that your clothes start fitting tighter.

I have been on this journey for almost 2 years. I still have 45-55lbs left to lose...but this last year, I have lost a grand total of SIX pounds. Here is an interesting picture--the left is Thanksgiving eve 2012, the right is just a few weeks ago. The scale is only down a few pounds, but my body composition has changed quite a bit.

11099489163_a176cdc50d.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • kroonha
    Options
    Changing your workout could account for a stall (or even gain). Adding weight can cause you to break down your muscles more (a good thing) thus retaining more water to repair them (aka building muscle). 2 weeks isnt a stall... its just a fact of life. Dont stress it too much. You are eating right and working out. Give it another 4 weeks and then if its still stalled, check back in.

I forgot to mention that I've also been doing the 30 Day Ab Challenge for about a week now, which means my abs are sore almost each day.
    But I guess I just have to relax and not think about it so much.

Thank you for the input and hopefully I can continue my progress soon...
  • pinktoesjb
    pinktoesjb Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Lots more muscle work and soreness means lots of water retention to repair those muscles, I'd keep on doing what you're doing and stay off the scales for atleast two weeks!

Results are slow sometimes but the slower they are the more permenant I have found them.