should I have a pre workout snack??

Options
Hi

I am trying to lose weight and get fit I have been doing the 30 day shred (not everyday but as much as I can) sometimes after I have done the workout I feel a bit sick and shakey and was wondering whether I should have a light snack before hand, maybe something like a banana maybe?

Do any of you have a pre-workout snack and what do you have? :smile:

Replies

• fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Definitely good to have something an hour before you workout, especially if you're doing a cardio based workout. Something like a banana is perfect. You should also make sure you are properly hydrated, I normally drink at least 2 big glasses of water half an hour before exercise. The sick and shaky feeling might be due to dehydration or low blood sugar levels, so try these tips and see if it makes any difference :)
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I usually have something about an hour or so before I work out. I usually have a Greek low fat yogurt with an apple. I get light headed if I don't have SOMETHING before working out. Especially before strength training. And I agree - plenty of water as well.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Well, pretty much any food intake is going to trigger a mild insulin response, and insulin is a performance inhibitor, so there's that.

I try not to eat anything for at least 90 minutes before I train. But you and I train VERY differently. I think if I were doing the type of stuff you're doing, I'd likely eat something like a banana about an hour before, yes.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    while i think you should have a snack before exercise it isn't always possible. I went for a month where i had to go running at 6am. I tried getting up and eating a snack or light breakfast a half hour before i ran but left me feeling sick and almost made me throw up my food one day on just a short run. so i found that just a few sips of water and i am off. for strength training i am very different i need food on my system before i can lift weights. I tend to try to eat a meal or snack 60 to 90 minutes before lifting weights. then i try to eat a meal or protein shake within 45 minutes after completeing either a run or strength training day.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    If you want. I can't do cardio with eating just before, but I can lift with something in my stomach. Depends on the person.
  • ct320
    ct320 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies :smile: think I will try have a banana an hour before my workout tonight and see how I feel.

Sounds like a bit of trial and error this fitness lark :laugh: what works for some does the opposite to others and vice versa :happy:
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bit of trial and error this fitness lark :laugh: what works for some does the opposite to others and vice versa :happy:

That's exactly what it is, finding out what works for YOU :smile: I feel best if I eat about an hour before I workout, but I know someone who can't eat in the 2 hours before a workout.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Sure if you want to. I don't when I workout at 5 a.m. as I just feel sick if I do but if I workout in the evening I usually have a banana.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Sure. Why not?
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I like to eat 2 hours before. If I eat too soon, I get cramps, but if I don't eat, I do get shakey and can't perform well. I say try different things and see what works for you!
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry.. aye, sometimes I will just have a wee pot of yoghurt or something and that keeps me going :)
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Protein (BCAA's), Creatine and Caffeine are fairly standard pre-workouts. Basically, eat a piece of meat and have a cup of coffee as a pre-workout.

Or, if you want to skip the creatine you can go with a greek yogurt.

Or, if you want to just slam a shake you can buy pre-workout in a can. It comes with pretty much all the stuff you need. Be careful if you go with Jack3d. I've heard stories about people getting the jitters and not being able to sleep hours afterwards.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I like to have a banana or a bowl of cereal, usually because working out in the evening means I don't have my dinner till late.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    If you want. Like you said, if you feel shaky and sick without anything in your stomach, I'd definitely recommend eating something small, like a protein shake of small serving of oatmeal. I personally prefer to work out on an empty stomach, but I've never had issues with it.
  • rldavis120
    rldavis120 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I usually work out at 6 a.m. and drive 20 minutes to get to the gym. I have a shake on the way to the gym...1/2 c of blueberries; 1 scoop of protein powder; 2 tbsp wheat germ, 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk, ice and with addt'l water if needed all blended together. It is just enough, but not too much.