Logging my running intervals

Options
I could use some suggestions on how best to log my interval training. I started today, and will repeat every 5 to 7 days.

1. I warm up with a 1 mile jog.

2. Stretch.

3. Run at top speed for 200 meters. Walk back 200 meters.

4. Repeat #3 8 times (I only managed 5)

5. Cool down with a 1 mile jog.

6. Stretch

My perceived exertion was about my usual 3 or 4 mile run, but I am unsure about it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitor.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I use a HR monitor. What I've found though is that I burn about the same amount of calories as if I ran continuously at the same pace. So, if you're covering the same 3 to 4 miles in about the same time as your regular run, you're probably burning roughly the same calories. You are probably burning slightly more due to the sprint segments, but at that short of a distance, it's not going to amount to a big difference calorie-wise.
  • tjmahoney
    tjmahoney Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of interval running to enhance fat-burn. Calorie burn is generally the same as continuous running but it's the fat burn benefit that interval gives by depleting oxygen stores which is the key to burning fat long after the run has ended. I follow a fairly similar routine although I admit that I run longer and really more than I should be for true interval and personally, I just log the total calorie burn. I agree with everyone to use a heart rate monitor. You want to get your heart rate in the fat-burn zone, about 65-75% of your target heart rate, depending on your fitness level. Also, the real cardiac benefit begins around 40 minutes of running or elliptical, etc and ends around 60 minutes. I warm up for 10-12 minutes by walking comfortably around 2.5mph and increasing it to around 4.0mph. Now warmed up and loose, stretch quads, hams, inner thighs and glutes. After stretch, powerwalk for 1 minute (around 4.2mph for me), then run comfortably (around 5.2- 5.5mph) for 45 seconds, then reduce speed to recover and walk comfortably (around 3.2-3.4mph or so) until you feel rested and repeat. Be sure to stay "soldier straight" for your powerwalk and run so you're using the core and abds. Again, I run more than the 45 seconds; I generally run between 3-5 mins at 5.5mph, then slow down. It keeps my heart rate 75-80% of my target rate. After 60 minutes, cool down with a walk around 2.7mph for 5 minutes. Your heart prefers a cool down period and you also want to continue to perfuse the micro-circulation, continue to deliver and restore more oxygen to the muscles and pick up the lactic acid (and other things) that were produced secondary to the interval training. Here's a link to a good interval routine: http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2010/09/13/interval-cardio-on-treadmill-for-fat-loss.aspx