Always hungry even with protein, fibers and calories.

Options
I'm in a weird situation right now. I've always been active and skinny (5'8'' 125lbs, now 140lbs).
I developped a chronis sinus problem and I have not been able to workout for the past 3 years. (waiting for a surgery).

I use to workout a lot and eat a lot, but since I stopped my appettite did not go away.

I get my 2000 calories, 30g of fibers, 100g of proteins but I feel like I have ate nothing. I don't crave junk food either, I'm just hungry for more.

In the morning I drink skim milk, eat bananes and take a multivitamins.
At lunch I have mixed nuts and vegetable/fruit juice.

I have a fiber one bar as a snack and I vary for supper.

What am I missing?

Replies

• rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Veggies and whole grains? I know big salads (lots of greens, some protein, sunflower seeds, cheese, cottage cheese, chicken or tuna) and quinoa, oatmeal, or breakfast sandwiches keep me feeling full for longer than fruit and nuts.

And how the heck are you reaching 2000 calories a day eating that little for breakfast, lunch and snack? That must be some dinner. Not trying to be snarky it just seems a bit off.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Most 25 yo males, even if fairly sedentary, should be able to eat more than 2000 calories and lose weight. If your body is telling you it needs more food, then perhaps it does indeed need more food.
  • TinyJimbo
    TinyJimbo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The thing is, I'm gaining weight.
    Here is my meal plan for today.

Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 4 cup
    Banana - Medium (126g), 2 banana - 126g
    Centrum Forte - Multivitamin for Adults, 1 tablet

Oasis - Fruits etc Fruits Plus Vegetables Yellow, 500 ml
    Krispy Kernels - Mixed Nuts (Almond, Cashew & Pistachio), 80G
    Fiber One - 90 Calorie Brownies - Chocolate Fudge Brownies, 1 brownie (25g)

That leaves me 555 calories for supper and I feel like I have not ate anything.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Fats.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options

I would increase protein. Also eat the fruit instead of having the fruit juice. Both the protein and fibre will improve satiety.
  • TinyJimbo
    Options
    Usually I have a smoothie with orange juice, raspberries and yogurt for supper. I get around 100g of protein, 35g of fibers and plenty of fats for the day. That gets me to 2000 calories.

I still feel hungry and malnourished, even if I'm gaining weight.
  • mandylanerocks
    mandylanerocks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    um, are you getting enough sleep?

or are you stressed out about something? depression? how long has this been like this?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Switch to a milk with some fats in it. You don't have to go to whole but try 2% instead. The fats will keep you fuller. Maybe eating something solid rather than drinking would help as well. If you like dairy, go with greek yogurt or cottage cheese instead.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options

To me that looks like snacks and not proper meals. Try eating some lean meats, whole fruits, cereals, grains, and plenty of vegetables
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I need dietary fat to feel full, and without it I can eat and eat and feel empty 20 minutes later. Don't be afraid of dietary fat, dietary fat =/= body fat.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Maybe eating something solid rather than drinking would help as well. If you like dairy, go with greek yogurt or cottage cheese instead.

I was thinking the same, eat your calories, don't drink them. Add volume to your diet by eating foods not juices and smoothies, it may help.
  • ashliejones13
    Options
    more water, more fats, more protein
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I need dietary fat to feel full, and without it I can eat and eat and feel empty 20 minutes later. Don't be afraid of dietary fat, dietary fat =/= body fat.

Definitely agree with this. Carbs for me, regardless of the type, make me more hungry. Dietary fat keeps me full for hours usually.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

To me that looks like snacks and not proper meals. Try eating some lean meats, whole fruits, cereals, grains, and plenty of vegetables

I agree. This is a lot of small snacks without actually eating a meal, and a lot of liquid calories. I would really analyze my food sources. Where is your food? I would also hazard a guess that your sodium levels are off the charts. Do you have special dietary restrictions (allergies? vegan, veg? etc?)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    more water, more fats, more protein

This!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Fat
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

I agree. No wonder you aren't satisfied. You are basically lightly grazing. Lean meats are probably incorporated into your dinner but add them throughout the day and try not to drink so many calories.
  • TinyJimbo
    Options
    Looks like good advices to me. I'll try to switch milk by cheese / eggs. I will also switch the fruit juice by vegetables.
    I'll try to add more grains and fats to my diet.

I'll let you know if it helps!
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If you need ideas have a look at a few people's diaries and see how they works their meals. I think mine's open if you're interested.
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options

4 cups of milk? is that a typo? Drink less milk and eat eggs or yogurt. Oatmeal helps me feel full longer. The old fashion kind is the best for feeling full. Whole grains will also help a lot. Switch out your fruit drink with a small apple and carrot sticks. The mind needs you to chew for a while before it thinks it is full. raw veggies require lots of chewing and are low in calories. stop drinking all your calories and you feel fuller. And finally dieting sucks and sometimes you will feel hungry.