Replies

• redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I count alcohol. :huh:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    It's a proven fact that alcohol reduces both total & free test. It is reduced for a full 24 hours after and if abused can cause permanent reduction. This is a seperate issue from the fat gained due to excess empty calories, damage to the endocrine system and increased liver enzymes leading to a slower metabolism and possible fatty liver.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/215221-does-drinking-alcohol-affect-muscle-building/

Inhibit Muscle Protein Synthesis

"In research reported in the August 1999 issue of the "American Journal of Physiology, Endocrinology and Metabolism," researchers discovered that drinking alcohol can inhibit muscle protein synthesis, the muscle growth process within muscle cells. During a 14-week study, subjects on an alcohol containing diet had greater levels of myopathy, or muscle loss, than those taking a placebo. Scientists suggest that alcohol blocks the process of protein synthesis, which leads to a reduction in muscle mass."

This is just one of several studies depicting the effects of alcohol as it relates to test production, protein synthesis and release of growth hormone

I'd have to look the studies up, assuming they passed peer review and were published. But they neglect to mention HOW MUCH alcohol the test groups consumed in each instance. I highly doubt that moderate alcohol consumption does diddly squat to protein synthesis or testosterone levels.
    The protein synthesis reduction is due to dehydration caused by alcohol. Some of the biggest strongest guys drink, it hasn't hurt them.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    If you make your glass of booze large enough, you could count the drinking as a light weight lifting activity :wink:

There ya go. Fabulous idea!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    The real question her is:

Has anyone ever bulked up on binge drinking alcohol and successfully built muscle and strength?

Arnold used to make his protein shakes with bourbon instead of water.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Yea...
  • Amadbro
    Options
    The protein synthesis reduction is due to dehydration caused by alcohol. Some of the biggest strongest guys drink, it hasn't hurt them.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11584159

BACKGROUND:
    Acute and chronic alcohol intoxication decreases skeletal muscle protein synthesis under in vivo conditions. We investigated whether ethanol (EtOH) and its major metabolites, acetaldehyde and acetate, can directly modulate protein balance under in vitro conditions.

METHODS:
    Human myocytes were incubated with different doses of EtOH for varying periods of time (i.e., 4-72 hr). Alternatively, cells were incubated with acetaldehyde, acetate, insulin, insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), or with a combination of EtOH plus insulin or IGF-I. Rates of protein synthesis or degradation were determined by 35S-methionine/cysteine incorporation into or release from cellular protein.

RESULTS:
    A significant, 15% to 20%, decrease in basal protein synthesis was observed after 24 hr, but not at earlier time points, in response to 80 mM EtOH. Incubation of myocytes for 72 hr decreased synthesis in cells incubated with EtOH ranging between 60 and 120 mM. The ability of IGF-I or insulin to stimulate protein synthesis was impaired by 30% and 60%, respectively, in cells incubated with 80 mM EtOH for 72 hr. Exposure of cells to 200 microM acetaldehyde or 5 mM Na-acetate also decreased basal protein synthesis. In contrast, neither EtOH, acetaldehyde, nor acetate altered the basal rate of protein degradation. However, EtOH completely impaired the ability of insulin and IGF-I to inhibit proteolysis. Finally, EtOH did not impair IGF-I receptor autophosphorylation, but inhibited the ability of insulin to phosphorylate its own receptor. EtOH also did not alter the number of insulin or IGF-I receptors or the formation of insulin/IGF-I hybrid receptors.

CONCLUSIONS:
    We have demonstrated that EtOH can directly inhibit muscle protein synthesis under in vitro conditions. Neither EtOH nor its metabolites altered basal protein degradation, although EtOH did compromise the ability of both insulin and IGF-I to slow proteolysis. This impairment seems to be mediated by different defects in signal transduction.

EtOH (Ethanol) is what caused it..not "dehydration" LOL. You get an A for effort though
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    What I have also noticed is that, although something like vodka has calories, it has 0 g fat, 0 g carbs, and 0 g protein. So, my question is, where do these calories go?!

Your body converts it to sugar, a form of glucose. Then it's stored as fat unless you can burn it off as fast as you drink it.
    Alcohol is 7 calories per gram.
    It has no nutritional value to the body, in fact your body tries to get rid of it (rather than storing it as energy for later use like carbohydrates) as soon as possible (this is the reason why you get dehydrated when drinking).

And since your body tries to get rid of it, it does that first thing, so anything you eat will be stored until all the alcohol is gone from your body. That's why you pack on the pounds when you drink. Anything you eat while drinking goes straight to your butt!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

BACKGROUND:
    Acute and chronic alcohol intoxication decreases skeletal muscle protein synthesis under in vivo conditions. We investigated whether ethanol (EtOH) and its major metabolites, acetaldehyde and acetate, can directly modulate protein balance under in vitro conditions.

METHODS:
    Human myocytes were incubated with different doses of EtOH for varying periods of time (i.e., 4-72 hr). Alternatively, cells were incubated with acetaldehyde, acetate, insulin, insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I), or with a combination of EtOH plus insulin or IGF-I. Rates of protein synthesis or degradation were determined by 35S-methionine/cysteine incorporation into or release from cellular protein.

RESULTS:
    A significant, 15% to 20%, decrease in basal protein synthesis was observed after 24 hr, but not at earlier time points, in response to 80 mM EtOH. Incubation of myocytes for 72 hr decreased synthesis in cells incubated with EtOH ranging between 60 and 120 mM. The ability of IGF-I or insulin to stimulate protein synthesis was impaired by 30% and 60%, respectively, in cells incubated with 80 mM EtOH for 72 hr. Exposure of cells to 200 microM acetaldehyde or 5 mM Na-acetate also decreased basal protein synthesis. In contrast, neither EtOH, acetaldehyde, nor acetate altered the basal rate of protein degradation. However, EtOH completely impaired the ability of insulin and IGF-I to inhibit proteolysis. Finally, EtOH did not impair IGF-I receptor autophosphorylation, but inhibited the ability of insulin to phosphorylate its own receptor. EtOH also did not alter the number of insulin or IGF-I receptors or the formation of insulin/IGF-I hybrid receptors.

CONCLUSIONS:
    We have demonstrated that EtOH can directly inhibit muscle protein synthesis under in vitro conditions. Neither EtOH nor its metabolites altered basal protein degradation, although EtOH did compromise the ability of both insulin and IGF-I to slow proteolysis. This impairment seems to be mediated by different defects in signal transduction.

EtOH (Ethanol) is what caused it..not "dehydration" LOL. You get an A for effort though
    How did all those bodybuilders, strongmen, and football players gain any muscle at all?
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    It's not the alcohol that's my problem... it's the boat load of junk food that is pulled into it's gravitational field and ends up in my belleh when I drink it

I can go out to eat. I can be DONE eating and stuffed. The minute I get even slightly tipsy, I'm like FEEEEEEDDDDD MEEEE!

And it's not carrots I'm eating. Bar food rocks :)
  • Amadbro
    Options

BACKGROUND:

METHODS:

RESULTS:

CONCLUSIONS:

How did all those bodybuilders, strongmen, and football players gain any muscle at all?

No one is saying you can't gain lbm while drinking. Is it optimal? No. There are tons of studies from top scientists demonstrating this.
  • jluyt
    jluyt Posts: 7
    Options
    Alcohol takes up 7cals per gram, while carbs and protein takes up 4cals per gram. Not to mention the sugar you get in alcohol.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Alcohol takes up 7cals per gram, while carbs and protein takes up 4cals per gram. Not to mention the sugar you get in alcohol.
    What sugar? Which alcohol are you talking about?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

BACKGROUND:

METHODS:

RESULTS:

CONCLUSIONS:

"Acute and chronic alcohol intoxication" is a little different from your casual drinker. If you aren't an alcoholic or getting tanked every night, you'll probably be fine.
  • Amadbro
    Options

BACKGROUND:

METHODS:

RESULTS:

CONCLUSIONS:

"Acute and chronic alcohol intoxication" is a little different from your casual drinker. If you aren't an alcoholic or getting tanked every night, you'll probably be fine.

Good luck in all of your future muscle building endeavors. I refuse to let anything set me back, no matter how minuet, how "great" it makes me feel or how great it tastes..especially booze.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

BACKGROUND:

METHODS:

RESULTS:

CONCLUSIONS:

No one is saying you can't gain lbm while drinking. Is it optimal? No. There are tons of studies from top scientists demonstrating this.

^^ yes. You'd have to have tested these guys for a few seasons w/o alcohol vs seasons with alcohol for you to be able to draw any conclusions as to whether or the amount it slows by their performance. But if a world class athlete who almost assuredly builds muscle faster than average, takes something which slows this process down a little, he's probably still going to do better than average, and meanwhile he's got 10 supplements and/or other factors that he uses to speed his building up...you'd be hard pressed to ever see a proof of reduction unless there was a strictly controlled study done,..which certainly cant be afforded to run, paying for world class athletes participation. To toss a similar level question as yours back at you, why do you think coaches tell you to lay off the alcohol and partying pre game?
  • Amadbro
    Options
    1: Alcohol Clin Exp Res 1997 Aug;21(5):792-8 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut

Studies on the time-course of ethanol's acute effects on skeletal muscle protein synthesis: comparison with acute changes in proteolytic activity.

Reilly ME, Mantle D, Richardson PJ, Salisbury J, Jones J, Peters TJ, Preedy VR.

Department of Clinical Biochemistry, King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, United Kingdom.

A study of the effects of ethanol on skeletal muscle protein synthesis and protease activities was carried out in young male Wistar rats (150 g) for up to 24 hr after a single intraperitoneal dose of 75 mmol of ethanol/kg of body weight. At 20 min, the mean blood ethanol levels were 448 mg/dl. This level dropped steadily to zero through the following 24 hr.

So, this study basically looks at the effects of ethanol 24 hours
    after drinking it.

Compared with pair-fed controls, significant reductions in total protein, RNA, and DNA contents were seen only after 24 hr in all skeletal muscles studied: changes were more marked in the muscles containing large proportions of type II fibers. In plantaris muscle, the fractional rate of protein synthesis (ks, %/day) did not fall 20 min after dosage but was reduced after 1 hr by 23% (p < 0.001), and by 63% after 24 hr, compared with control saline-injected rats (p < 0.001).

So, let us see.......23% reduction in protein synthesis after
    1 hr and 63%!!!! after 24 hours.

This effect was independent of dietary intake because,

VERY IMPORTANT: Effect was independent of dietary intake.
    SO, even with a PERFECT diet, ethanol still wreaks HAVOC
    with your bodies anabolicity.

compared with the pair-fed group, the 24-hr ethanol-treated rats still showed a 52% decrease in fractional rates of protein synthesis (p < 0.001). Smaller reductions in ks were seen in soleus muscles in response to ethanol at 24 hr (-39%, p < 0.001). The activities of a variety of lysosomal and nonlysosomal proteases in plantaris muscle of 24-hr treated rats were not significantly affected by ethanol. Only alanyl- and tripeptidyl-aminopeptidase activities were reduced significantly (26%, p < 0.05 and 39%, p < 0.01, respectively). These results suggest that the muscle compositional changes seen over acute periods of ethanol toxicity are predominantly associated with impaired synthesis of protein and that the contribution of cellular proteolytic systems may be minimal.

Again,

The effects of ethanol on skeletal muscle protein metabolism are greater in muscles containing a predominance of type II fibers than in those containing mainly type I fibers.

Type II fibers= LARGE muscle fibers for TRAINING.
    Type I=Fast twitch for activities like walking.

Ethanol's effects on muscle may be influenced by hormonal changes after 24 hr, because protein synthesis is still compromised and free plasma T3 and corticosterone are altered at this time-point.

Even worse, ethanol causes a HORMONAL shift. It increases
    estrogen through the up-regulation of the aromatase enzyme,
    lowers testosterone,increases cortisol and to boot reduces
    free T3 levels.

These are ACUTE effects, not long term alcohol abuse

PMID: 9267527 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Studies of course linked in the article.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Alcohol is labeled as 7.1 calories per gram, but the real value is more along the lines of 5.7 calories due to the thermic effect of food (TEF) which is 20% of the ingested calories. This makes the TEF of alcohol a close second to protein (20-35% depending on amino acid composition). The heightened thermogenesis resulting from alcohol intake is partly mediated by catecholamines.

You've probably heard that alcohol intake lowers testosterone. While this is true, the actual impact has been widely exaggerated. A three-week study that had men and women consume 30-40 g alcohol per day, showed a 6.8% reduction in testosterone for the men and none for the women at the end of the study-period. That's three beers a day for three weeks and a measly 6.8% reduction in testosterone for the men. What kind of an effect would you think a few beers on an evening once or twice a week would have? Hardly any.

For alcohol to significantly lower testosterone, you need to do some serious drinking. ~120 g alcohol, the equivalent of 10 beers, will lower testosterone by 23% for up to 16 hours after the drinking binge. If you drink so goddamn much that you are admitted to the hospital, you get a similar effect with a reduction of about -20%.

A few studies have looked at alcohol consumption in the post-workout period. One study examined the hormonal response to post-workout alcohol consumption using 70-80 g alcohol, equivalent to 6-7 beers. Talk about "optimizing" nutrient timing. Anyway, despite this hefty post-workout drinking binge, no effect on testosterone was found and only a very modest effect on cortisol was noted. The latter is as expected, considering the effect of alcohol on catecholamines. Citing directly from this paper, this quote sums up the scientific findings regarding the effects of alcohol on testosterone:

"Although the majority of studies involving humans show no ethanol effect on serum luteinizing hormone (LH), some data have demonstrated an increase while others have supported a decrease"

The common denominator among these two studies is either extremely tough training or unusually high alcohol intakes in the post-workout period. Unless you're in the habit of going bar-hopping after 50 reps of eccentric leg extensions to failure, this stuff does not apply to you. Yet it's studies like these that gets the attention among the alcohol-alarmist fitness crowd.

What about protein synthesis? Strangely enough, the acute effects of alcohol on muscle protein synthesis in normal human subjects are non-existent in the scientific litterature. It has only been studied in chronic alcoholics, which have reduced rates of muscle protein synthesis. Chronic alcoholic myopathy, which causes muscle loss, is one unfortunate side-effect of alcohol abuse. However, this study showed that alcoholics without myopathy had lower body fat percentage and the same amount of lean mass as non-drinkers. So much for the argument that alcohol makes all your muscles fall off.

If you put any stock in rat studies, it's clear that alcohol affects protein synthesis negatively. Then again, results from rat studies are almost never directly applicable to human physiology. There are profound differences in how humans and rodents cope with macronutrients and toxins.

This makes sense considering that the metabolic by-product of alcohol, acetate, is toxic. Metabolizing it takes precedence over everything else. This quote sums up the metabolic fate of alcohol nicely:

"Ethanol (alcohol) is converted in the liver to acetate; an unknown portion is then activated to acetyl-CoA, but only a small portion is converted to fatty acids.
    Most of the acetate is released into the circulation, where it affects peripheral tissue metabolism; adipocyte release of nonesterified fatty acids is decreased and acetate replaces lipid in the fuel mixture."

Summary

* Moderate alcohol consumption is assocoiated with an abundance of health benefits. The long-term effect on insulin sensitivity and body weight (via insulin or decreased appetite) may be of particular interest to us.

* The thermic effect of alcohol is high and the real caloric value is not 7.1 kcal: it's ~5.6 kcal. However, it's still easy to overconsume calories by drinking. Calorie for calorie, the short-term effect of alcohol on satiety is low. Adding to this, intoxication may also encourage overeating by disinhibition of dietary restraint.

* The negative effects of alcohol on testosterone and recovery has been grossly exaggerated by the fitness mainstream. Excluding very high acute alcohol consumption, or prolonged and daily consumption, the effect is non-significant and unlikely to affect muscle gains or training adaptations negatively.

* The effect of alcohol on muscle protein synthesis is unknown in normal human subjects. It is not unlikely to assume that a negative effect exists, but it is very unlikely that it is of such a profound magnitude that some people would have you believe.

* Alcohol is converted to acetate by the liver. The oxidation of acetate takes precedence over other nutrients and is oxidized to carbon dioxide and water. However, despite being a potent inhibitor of lipolysis, alcohol/acetate alone cannot cause fat gain by itself. It's all the junk people eat in conjunction with alcohol intake that causes fat gain.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'd reply, but the glass of wine in my other hand makes it hard to type
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    The beauty of alcohol is drink enough and you won't care that you're too fat/too skinny/ too whatever...