Jogging - breathing techniques

Options
My aim eventually is to be able to go for runs and enjoy them. This morning I decided to go into my garden (which is fairly long) and do a few laps up and down. I did it, managed it and saw my hrm rise and the cals burn. My fitness has improved immensely over the last 2 years. However I'm unsure how I should be breathing when jogging. I found my throat burning slightly. Not sure if it's because I'm not *that* fit or as it's cold out and I have abit of a cold.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks x

Replies

• MJC360
    MJC360 Posts: 368
    Options
    When I first started jogging I had trouble breathing too. I read a lot of articles that said to breathe in through your nose and out of your mouth. It took me a long time to be able to be able do it and take in enough air so that I wasn't breathing too heavy, but I finally got it right. If you're inhaling with your mouth that could make your throat hurt more than if you're using nose, but if not its probalby just the cold air. I found this link that might help you. http://www.ehow.com/how_2311102_breathe-properly-jogging.html
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Good question. I would like to see the answers as well :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You should breathe naturally as your body wants - do not force patterns/methods. If you're gasping for air, you are going too fast and need to slow down. I can't breathe through my nose in the cold, but I do a natural two quick breaths by mouth and a longer exhale by nose.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I find that when I get a cramp/stitch in my side, taking slow deep breaths into my belly helps a lot. I would suggest running slower and letting your breathing come natural to you though.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    For me, chewing gum actually helps me with my breathing. I can't go any length of a run without gum. I've had to experiment with several different flavors, and found Extra Spearmint works best for me.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You've got to find a rhythm that works for you. For me it's two quick inhales in through my nose and a long exhale out of my mouth as my left foot hits the ground (I get side stiches quite easy and my left foot hitting as I breathe out assists in stopping this from happening). Do what is natural and easy for you and don’t over think it. The more you do it the easier it'll come.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    So I've finally completed my first jog. I'm pleased I finished it without any problems lol. 15 mins, just over 1 mile. Throat didn't burn either.

Thanks for all ur comments everyone x
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I breathed fast which made me tire sooner. I practiced breathing in for four paces (or counts), then out for four paces throughout my run. It helped me at the start, now I just slow it down a little if I'm extra tired, like after a short sprint or something like that.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I am a mouth breather, can't breathe through my nose. When the weather is cold I have a fleece neck gaitor that I can pull up over my nose and mouth to breathe through. It helps reduce the burning in your throat.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    If you are running within the proper heart rate range for an easy run, your breathing should be relaxed and unforced. I don't practice any particular rythms usually. When racing, it is all bets off. However I can get oxygen the fastest is my goal. :laugh:
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Most of the advice I have ever heard is in for 3 counts, out for 2 or 3. Doesn't matter whether it is through nose, mouth, or both. Some people think about their breathing a lot when they run as sort of a meditative thing. I just breath how it comes naturally to me. It's all about finding what is comfortable for you. It will be harder to breath in cold weather. You will get a side stitch if you breath too shallow - happens to a lot of beginners. If you start to feel one, then focus on deep breaths.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I haven't run in extreme cold, but I find the temps so far (28˚F and above) to be much easier for breathing than heat and humidity. I feel like I just can't get enough oxygen when the humidity goes up! But to the OP's point, I agree with the other posters who say it's probably best not to overthink your breathing and let it come naturally. I'm a mouth breather too and when I think about it I realize I have a shorter inhale than exhale. When I'm going uphill or start to get a stitch, big exhales help a lot.

Good luck with your running! As your lung capacity improves you'll find it gets easier and easier. And you WILL enjoy those runs! :)
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    So I've finally completed my first jog. I'm pleased I finished it without any problems lol. 15 mins, just over 1 mile. Throat didn't burn either.

Thanks for all ur comments everyone x

Excellent! The day will come sooner than you expect that you will be running 4 to 5 miles every day you run. Look forward to it. You may be like me, I often doubt the wisdom of running during the first half-mile or so, but after that it goes by pretty fast, especially with music to listen to.
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have been running about 3 to 3.5 miles every time I run. The more you run the easier breathing will become. I also breath in through my nose and out through my mouth. Give it more time and it will become easier, and addicting. LOL
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    However I'm unsure how I should be breathing when jogging.

I generally go for in followed by out, but you could go radical and try out followed by in ;)

I find that in through the nose and out through the mouth works best for me. In time with my steps and over two to three beats as it helps me focus on my form. In through the nose seems to be a bit less harsh in terms of cold for me.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    For easy pace runs, I learned to breathe through my nose. Helps me keep my pace slow enough for distance. If I'm trying to push myself some, it's in through nose, out mouth. Hard running has me breathing all mouth. I go by what others suggested and just breathe "naturally". It gets easier as you build up endurance. I now run anywhere from 3-9 miles on my run days.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments. I'm excited to see where this takes me.
  • hludwig980
    hludwig980 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    bump