Knee Pain During Lunges - Help!

Options
I have recently started a weight lifting program to supplement my running (going on 3 weeks now). I am doing a Push, Pull, Legs routine that I am really enjoying. Unfortunately, the barbell lunge is hurting my knee. It is the only exercise that bothers me and no matter how many articles and videos I have watched for proper form, I just can't seem to make the pain go away when doing them. To be fair, lunges bothered my knee even when I did them without weights so maybe it is the movement itself...

Note: Squats don't seem to bother me, just freaking lunges.

Anyway, my question is this: What is a good alternative to the barbell lunge that will still work those muscle groups?

Thanks!

Replies

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    My knee hurts with weighted lunges too. The best thing, in my opinion, is to stop using the weights. Work on form without weights for a while, see if that helps. Then slowly add light weights and work your way up.

Add:if you want to challenge yourself without weights, you can try jump lunges.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My first thought was that you need to go back to bodyweight to improve the form. But if that also hurts, you may have an issue with your knee. Consider seeking medical advice from a good sports doctor.

Instead of lunges (because my balance is for crap), I will often use the smith machine and do split leg squats.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have this issue too sometimes so I do my leg workout every other day which seems to help.