Does anyone slackline?

Options
If you don't know what it is, it's sort of like tightrope walking, but a bit springier and easier to do. People slackline everywhere from the backyard to across portions of the Grand Canyon (you won't catch me doing that!). I saw a guy who could do hand stands, cart wheels, balance on one leg etc on it. Try youtube or google for some amazing videos.

I've only tried slacklining once, and was horrible at it lol, but I really liked the balance and the fact that you have to focus so much its nearly like meditation if you are in a quiet space. I believe that the increase in balance and core strength would help with my lifting. I also think it would be a lot of fun at BBQs and after alcohol :p

What benefits have you seen to training on one (other than just being better at walking the slackline)?
If you lift, did it help with that?
What brand, how much $, and what setup do you have?

Unfortunately, I do not have two big trees that are far enough apart to put a line between, so I need something like: http://www.gibbonslacklines.com/us/slackrack.html

But holy $$. Any suggestions would be welcome. I'm thinking about asking for one as a Christmas present, but not for $300! If you have constructed your own, pics and some tips would be great. I do have access to construction and machining tools.

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Seen one, tried it, but not something I've worked into my program.

Couldn't you do a couple of posts in your yard (post hold digger, 4x4 cut in half, and some concrete)?
  • lilawolf
    Options
    I would like one that I could setup and take down that way I could take it to a park, bbq etc, but that is not a bad idea if I can't get a moveable one figured out.
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It's big in the rock climbing/bouldering community. If you have climbing or bouldering gyms in your area, go talk to them. I'll bet you'll find someone there who slacklines and can help.
  • lilawolf
    Options
    It's big in the rock climbing/bouldering community. If you have climbing or bouldering gyms in your area, go talk to them. I'll bet you'll find someone there who slacklines and can help.

Good idea! I don't know if I do or not.