Cholesterol: Should I eat the whole egg or just the whites?

Options
13»

Replies

• cstigs84
    cstigs84 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Have the whole egg. They are now discovering that having egg yolks actually help with your good cholesterol. If you make scrambled eggs, try one whole egg and then some egg whites mixed in. I do that, and its super yummy :) minus the guilt.

I do eat the eggs and the yolk, I just get freaked out because of the cholesterol macro in my diary. I may just take it off, I hate seeing it red. Plus, my cholesterol is good.

I was at 975 back in October 2010. October 2013, I'm at 121 and no longer taking any meds.

You are getting bad information that could put you back on medication and be detrimental to your health. Please don't get your information for your medical condition here. With cholesterol levels at 975, there is definitely something wrong with the way your body processes and absorbs the stuff. Completely normal people can eat the eggs without having to worry about raising their levels but you on the other hand, need to get tested after adding eggs to your diet.

Am I saying eggs are bad for you? No. Am I saying you can eat the eggs? No. I am saying you need to get tested at your doctor's office after including eggs in your diet because your body obviously does not handle cholesterol like normal people.

OP is referring to triglycerides if the level is 975. It was probably that high because they ate a burger before getting the blood draw or they had terrible dietary habits and/or poorly controlled diabetes. If the drop to the current level was made with diet and exercise changes then it's unlikely to be another underlying medical condition causing it.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    i had blood work done before i started eating better, and was given the option of changing my lifestyle or starting meds. i starting eating better, with a breakfast ritual of the whole egg. tests 6 months later showed that my bad cholesterol had dropped and my good cholesterol had increased which is a good thing. the only bad part about the yolk is it is higher in fat than the white. if your trying to do a extremely high protein/extremely low fat diet, skip the yolk.

Why would someone be doing an extremely low fat diet? That myth was busted a long time ago.

I agree. Eat the entire egg, with the yolk. It's healthy for you.

Besides, I read somewhere that every time you throw a yolk away, a puppy dies. You like puppies don't you?