bacon, bacon, bacon

2»

Replies

• 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    OMG!!! Bacon! And tonight is Bacon night!! My mouth is drooling in anticipation!

I don't know what Bacon Night is, but.....in!!!!!!!!
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    70 cals a slice add extra for the HP Sauce!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    One slice of bacon is one slice of bacon, no matter how it's prepared.

Because of bacon's high fat content, which may or may not come off during cooking, that statement is not correct, by a significant margin.

Bacon is a food where preparation definitely makes a difference.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    i love my bacon crispy mmmm
  • chinita96
    chinita96 Posts: 141 Member
    OMG!!! Bacon! And tonight is Bacon night!! My mouth is drooling in anticipation!

All you can eat bacon...for free!!!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member

Picture will probably be too big, but here goes anyway:

bacon1.png

ETA: what you can't see on the right of the image is "Tuesday Night is Bacon Night all you can eat". This joyous occasion happens at Harris Grill in Pittsburgh PA.
  • BaconWagon
    BaconWagon Posts: 138 Member
    Did someone say.....bacon?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    The only way a slice will vary in calories is if you use a different brand (which may use larger slices) or use different cooking oil (butter, olive oil, etc.)
    Eating a hard boiled egg will have the same amount of calories as a raw egg used in cookie dough. How you prepare the food will change the nutrition, not how you cook it.
    So log your slice of bacon, then account for whether or not you added stuff to it while cooking.

If bacon is cooked on something that allows the fat to drain off, it will have less calories than bacon cooked in it's own grease, or in added oil. If bacon is set on paper towels to soak up some of the grease before eating, it will have less calories than if not. The more of the fat that makes it into your mouth, the higher the calorie count.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    I love bacon.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    The only way a slice will vary in calories is if you use a different brand (which may use larger slices) or use different cooking oil (butter, olive oil, etc.)
    Eating a hard boiled egg will have the same amount of calories as a raw egg used in cookie dough. How you prepare the food will change the nutrition, not how you cook it.
    So log your slice of bacon, then account for whether or not you added stuff to it while cooking.

Maybe that's close to being true if you're talking about Canadian bacon. Otherwise...

According to the USDA a raw 28 gram slice of cured pork bacon has 117 calories, while a pan-fried slice weighs in at 11.5 grams and has only 54 calories. The exact number of calories will vary by the brand and the thickness of the slice, but there'll always be substantially fewer calories per slice if preparation involves rendering the fat and leaving most of it behind. The nutrition panels on packages of raw pork bacon typically specify pan-fried slices for a reason. That's the way they expect most of it to be eaten.

It should be logged raw if you're using the bacon in a recipe that retains all of the fat. And rendered bacon grease used to season other foods should be logged at 120 calories per tablespoon, like any other oil.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member

Picture will probably be too big, but here goes anyway:

bacon1.png

ETA: what you can't see on the right of the image is "Tuesday Night is Bacon Night all you can eat". This joyous occasion happens at Harris Grill in Pittsburgh PA.

Ummm.....I really need to visit Pittsburgh sometime.
  • oh gosh bacons... bacoooonsssss....