menopause and weight loss

Options
Hi, new to MFP and need motivation BADLY! Continuing to try to do this on my own is not working. Joined a gym last January, but due to lots of intervening issues and sporadic workouts I am now about 15 lbs. heavier than I was then (without an increase in calories)! UGH. Would love a friend or two who are dealing with the difficulties of losing weight after menopause to share what works - and what doesn't!

Replies

• ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I'm in any position to give advice but I, like you, could sure use a buddy in the "fat fight". Menopause seems to have played havoc with my figure and am trying to get it all back under control myself.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Me too. I have gained in all different places than I used to and it doesn't come off as quickly. Insomnia and depression came along with the menopause in my case. It is possible to have success and I have been slowly losing. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and have struggled to lose weight. About a month a go I started a hflc diet (high fat, moderate protein, low carb). The weight is coming off. I can eat more calories than with the traditional way of dieting and I feel way better. Eliminating sugars and processed foods can make a huge difference in weight loss. Its working for me. There are some Ketogenetic and low carb groups on MFP if you are interesed in that way of eating.
  • LKuderna
    LKuderna Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to friend me, I'm in the same boat. I started reducing my calories, cleaning up my eating, and working out (hard) all at the same time, and have not lost any weight, I am much more fit and have lost inches, but between being post-menopausal and some of the medications I take, I think weight loss will be challenging. Because of the type of exercise I do, low-carb won't work for me but I have several friends that have that lifestyle and are doing well. I feel ok about my decisions right now as I have a swim teacher and have had a session with a personal trainer at the gym I belong to. I will be good about staying in touch. Thank you so much for your post.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am not yet post menopause, but I am perimenopausal. Exericse is the key for me. Limiting sugar also helps, but I am unable to control my weight without exercise. Be sure to include weight bearing (resistance) exercises as menopause is typically the time when women lose a lot of muscle and bone mass.
  • bookwormer28
    bookwormer28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me. I am having quite a time losing as well. I could use some friends that can relate to my struggle.
  • enipla
    enipla Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This has been tough for me too. I am still trying to find something that will work.
  • loconnor466
    loconnor466 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am also peri-menopausal. I noticed about a year ago, the steady belly fat increase. I now have no waist at all!!! I have battled weight my whole life, but this is ridiculous.
    I started just a couple of weeks ago, changing my eating habits, much cleaner and I find logging my food every day no matter what, helps alot. I log even if I go out on a Saturday night and have burger and a couple of beers. It seems to be keeping me honest.
    I also needed to add exercise and I am doing it slowly. Started jazzercise, only twice a week to start, but I will add another class after the holidays. I really like it and it is motivational. Little steps to start I thin k are always best.
    When ever I have tried to jump into something too quick, that's when I give up even quicker. This time around I am looking for a true lifestyle change that I can continue.
  • paradox68
    Options
    Hi, as soon as I enter pre-menopause the weight that came on didn't come off again. Not dealing with a lot, but it is now a problem to lose it. I am doing a 30 day green smoothie challenge and it is great to substitude one meal with a smoothie. I find it helps with a lot of things and I have a lot more energy.
    Also marking down every little thing I eat and seeing how many calories and sugar are in the things I eat, made me aware of it. I am no good looking at labels, so this is awesome.

Never give up, it will work. Losing slow and steady will keep it off too.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    This Is Why You're Fat (And How to Get Thin Forever): Eat More, Cheat More, Lose More--and Keep the Weight Off By Jackie Warner.

The title is pithy and a little misleading about "cheating" but she does distill some good advice for those over forty and interested in getting or staying fit.

I have implemented much of what is in the book and it has made a difference in my weight creep. I pretty much live by a lot of the "rules" in the book.

Good luck and strive for fitness and health. Our bodies change, it's a fact and the things we've done up til now don't always work. I don't eat peanut butter or diary anymore because I can't maintain my fitness with those foods like I could 10 or 20 years ago.
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am just returning to myfitnesspal (yet again!) One year ago I was at goal, eating right, exercising and feeling healthy. But I had just lost my Dad Oct. 1st and celebrating Christmas Eve at my parents house without him there took its toll and I ended up very sick. Anyway-long story short, my adrenals crashed, my thyroid meds quit working because of that and my hormones whacked out even worse than they had been. Here I am a year later about 20-25 #s heavier, I have a huge belly and and a big butt... ;) I had a hysterectomy 4 1/2 yrs ago, and I am 54 yrs old. I am back to fight for my health-my figure and mental health-and I will be playing tag and kickball with my grandkids again this coming summer. WE can do this, one day at a time. Today has been a good day, the first of many. Good luck to you!!!!
  • mom22yorkies
    Options
    You are not alone by any means. I am not post menopausal yet (age 51) but have noticed the changes in my body and fight to keep my weight under control. If you would like to add me to your friends, that would be great. I have been on MFP for almost two years and although I did lose about 20 pounds last year, I didn't maintain it as over the winter I went into a funk of not wanting to watch what I ate and quit the gym and it took me quite sometime to come back from it. I am back and am really working hard on not letting that happen again this winter. I log daily and would love to offer to support you in your journey. Actually, anyone who has posted in this thread can friend me as I have also been looking for support of other women in the same boat as me. : )
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Wow, what an inspiration !!! Thanks so much for sharing this!!!
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    If you want add me as a friend, I am on here everyday, I am 49 and in peri-menopause, I have weightlifted since I was 17 , be happy to help you figure some stuff out...:
  • bevtay01
    bevtay01 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I too am a post menopausal overweight woman trying desperately to lower my weight. I know that any success I have ever had has been due to having someone with the same goal. So, here I am ready to be supportive and to be supported in our challenge. Let's make a commitment to communicate at least 2x a week. Does that work for you?
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Feel free to add me as a friend.
    I am a menopausal overweight woman trying to lose weight.
    Right now I am dealing with a plateau in my weight loss journey and I know it is hormone relate. :noway:
  • Paula038
    Paula038 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the ladies - lift weights!

I suddenly started gaining weight last year when I entered peri-menopause. Made a few half-hearted attempts to get rid of it, which failed. Got tired of the flab in September, cut my intake to ridiculous levels, way below BMR, and did loads of cardio and light weights. After much reading on MFP, I switched to the heaviest weights I could manage, increased them progressively, and started eating more sensibly. Actually, I eat a lot :)

I have only lost about 5 lbs, but I am not really trying to lose at the moment. I am more interested in how I look - I have lost 3.5 inches around my waist and the same around my stomach, and my bodyfat estimates are way down.

I have now begun the Starting Strength program, and I can't wait to get to gym on lifting days. It is like a new lease on life!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm 52, peri-menopausal and I have been losing weight just fine on 1700-2000 calories a day eating at a calorie deficit. I am one pound from my goal and have lost 32 pounds so far.

If you are gaining weight then you are technically eating at a calorie surplus. Weigh all your solid food and measure all liquids, make sure you log in all food and exercise accurately, and stay below that calorie goal.

I'm sure menopause and peri-menopause slows weight loss down, but does it really make us gain weight if we are not eating more than we burn?
  • divajoni
    divajoni Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    hello all... i am 53 and am not quite post-menopausal yet... but getting there. I have been using MFP for one year now and am almost 30 pounds down... looking to lose 20-30 more over the next year.

here is my one year progress report (with pics): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1141597-1-year-progress-report-50-and-30-pounds-gone

I would love to have some friends my age and going through the weight loss challenges of this particular demographic... please feel free to add me as friend.

--Joni