Too many supplements?

Options
Upon advice from my PT as well as bodybuilding friends, I've added some extra supplements into my diet. Yesterday was my first day taking most of them and I felt very bloated and gross last night. Am I taking too many:

Before breakfast - Safslim Safflower Oil (they were giving away bottles at the gym so thought I'd try)
WIth Breakfast - L-Carnitine
Afternoon snack - Quest Protein Bar
Whilst Training - Xtend (Intra workout BCAA)
After Training - Protein Shake
Before dinner - Safslim Safflower Oil

I have a thermogenic pre workout (Thermojet) however I didn't take it yesterday.
I've been taking the Safslim and L-Carnitine for a couple of days. The Quest bar and Xtend are new, 1st time yesterday. Protein shake I've been taking for ages.

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards the Xtend as I felt a bit nauseous when drinking it.

Replies

• manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Maybe the extra fibre from the quest bars.

Maybe the sweeteners or something in the xtend.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Caveat emptor. The protein supplements are useful if your diet is deficient in protein. The rest will rid you of your extra money.
  • SupermanRitz
    Options
    The BCAAs are unnecessary if you're getting enough protein and eating at maintainence. They'll come in handy when training fasted or at a caloric deficiet of more than about 300cal/day.

L-carnitine is actually pretty useless. It is a fat transporter WITHIN cells. Not only that, but your body already makes significant amounts of this molecule as it's demand increases.

I'd definitely say you're wasting a bit of money here. As far as being bloated and feel bad goes, I'd say it's either the carnitine, or Xtend, or even the quest bar depending on when you ate it during the day it may have been absorbed at the time you were taking the Xtend and were mislead there.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I ran out of protein powder today, won't be relaplacing at the moment as I'm enjoying the bars as a change. They make a good between meal snack when at work. II'll finish the L-Carntitine and Xtend but won't bother getting them again. I think I just bought into the hype.