How do you not cheat?

Options
I really want to lose thirty pounds, so so so bad! I want to be able say I'm in the 100s and wear skinnier jeans and not have a spare tire hanging over the jeans I do wear. I want to lose that bulging back fat that I am so embarrassed of.

But I also love food. I love chocolate and sugar and carbs and coffee drinks more than anything. I'm in college, in a dorm with only a mini fridge, a microwave, and a stove out in the lobby to have any hope of having healthy foods near by. Otherwise, I'm running to Chick-Fil-A or Panda Express for some preservative-filled fried goodness. I just ate a chocolate chip cookie and I feel so guilty now because I know I SHOULDN'T have, but it was just begging me to eat it.

I can't give up sugar completely. I need to exercise more, I know, but I got a job and that wears me out. Plus, finals are nearing, but that wasn't really a useable excuse for before. I'm constantly ranging between 200-205 lbs and I just want to get to 170 so bad. There's days where I'm really good and days where I just can't control myself. There's days I go to the gym because I want to and then there's days where I just don't want to. I love to work out, but I feel so self-conscious once I get there.

Its getting really frustrating.

So how do people not cheat extensively like me?
And what do you think is a good goal to have to lose thirty pounds? Six months? A year?

Replies

• karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's hard to give things up completely so don't! If you like cookies or chocolate then cutting them out completely is only going to make you want them more. Instead, try to focus on portion control and some healthier snack swaps. For example, I love sugar but big bars of chocolate and packets of biscuit were a massive hit in calories just for a snack, so I replaced them with yoghurt covered fruit pieces. I still get a sugary hit but for a tiny fraction of the calories in chocolate and biscuits. I was surprised how quickly I stopped craving all the sugary food I thought I would really miss. I still eat chocolate and sugary foods but in moderation and now I appreciate them more.

Or you can just try to fit more exercise into your day to free up more calories for the treats you want. Either way there's no such thing as a bad food, just things you have in moderation. I know that's really boring adivce but it seems to work.

Also, try not to guilt trip yourself over a cookie here or there. As long as you have some good days they will balance out the bad days. It's all about the overall downward calorie trend.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat because I love myself more than food.

I once loved all those foods you mentioned, and now it's easier than when I first started to say "no thanks". I came up with healthy substitutes for those foods and ate those instead. As for losing 30 pounds and how long it will take. Some people can do that in a month and some people take a year or longer to do that, it will depend on your starting weight and how much you NEED to lose and how much you change what you eat and how much you want to exercise.

If you are coming off of eating 10,000 calories a day and only drinking soda and going to 2000 calories of eating clean foods only and water, I bet you could lose all that weight in a month! That's what is so great about the first week or so of changing your lifestyle, weight just falls off and people are hooked!

I wish you luck and I'm always willing to be a supportive friend and help.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    A cookie isn't going to break you, fit what you want into your macros. As far as not blowing through your macros thats just willpower, you have to want it bad enough. Sometimes you still might stuff up anyway, but you gotta get back on it.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    eat what you like, just eat less of it.
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't think of food as good or bad. If it fits in my calorie goal, then I can eat it. If it doesn't fit but I really want it, then I'll go do some exercise so that it does fit in my goal. I haven't deprived myself of anything - because if I do, then when I eventually crack I'll eat large amounts of it and it's much better to eat whatever I want in small quantities. Two squares of dark chocolate a few times a week stops me from eating a whole block once a month. Cookies, chocolate, ice cream, cider, cheesecake - I haven't stopped eating any of them and I'm happily and successfully losing weight.

And I'd say six to nine months is a reasonable length of time to lose thirty pounds - a pound a week is achievable for most people who have that amount to lose.
  • vaporhockey83
    vaporhockey83 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You have to give yourself a cheat day within reasons. Have a guilty pleasure once a week. Work hard all week for that and find new pleasures that are good for you. I found a protein powder that's immensely good for me but tastes like someone put cake in a blender. 30 grams of protein and only 145 calories! If you toss in some exercise on days you log, you might find some room for a handful of whatever your guilty pleasure is. I drink at nights, so I make sure that I hit the gym hard on the nights that I do to accommodate that.

Bottom line, I don't cheat because the only victim is myself. If I want to look and feel healthy, sacrifices must be made. Good luck with your weight loss, you can do it.
  • pavingnewpaths
    pavingnewpaths Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    The only probably you're having right now is your mental outlook. Why are you dubbing food as the enemy? You love cookies and sugar and food? SO DO I! I love it, and I eat it. But I also eat fruits, vegetables, protein, etc etc. Focus on how much you're eating of everything and balance it out. If you eat healthy throughout the entire day and then leave about 200/300 calories for whatever snack you want you can fit in an entire cup of ice cream or chocolate chip cookie or a chocolate bar. That's fine. That's not cheating, that's called not depriving yourself.

Also, finding healthy alternatives is surprisingly easy. Peanut butter, flavored almond milk, flavored rice cakes, yogurt covered raisins, dried cranberries - all super sweet and super delicious!

When I first started my weight lose journey I was exactly where you were and it took me about 4 months of cycling to get down to a steady 170 lbs.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    2 reasons

1. i dont think of it as cheating. i fit things into my calories goals
    2. i love working out and since i'm on a calorie deficit there's less "cheating" since i find working out fueled by let's say gummi bears is a different experience than fueled by food that's more balanced nutritionally
  • ghiagirl893
    ghiagirl893 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can't keep it around. Fill your room with healthy food. She. A craving hits, find the next best thing that you already have and have that, with some water. Sweets? Try whole fruit. Salt? I love salt and pepper on baby carrots. They're also pretty sweet. Dont eat out. Just dont allow it for yourself. Near schools they never have healthy options. Always have food to make at home. Dont go to the store hungry as it will be too hard to say no to junk. If you've tried all this, walk to a store or bakery and get ONE single sized treat. Once you break the sugar addiction, know your true cravings and food needs, and have enough self control you can slowly bring those treats in -but only when you know you won't over eat.

Its ok to have treats :)
    Remember when the craving hits that you are worth the temporary struggle of avoiding those foods! The major thing I've found is the earlier I eat sugar, the more I want it all day and the harder it is to resist. Try to not eat junk until after dinner, or after you have a decent meal. Include it in your daily calories so it is not cheating!

Also try having treats that you know you can control yourself on. I can't handle chocolate cake. I can limit myself with those crispy chocolate filled tube cookies, and hot cocoa. There are also a lot of 'eat this not that' sort of things to help cravings, google it for some lower calorie snack ideas.

Good replacement ideas that I use:
    Fruit
    Apple and a little bit of peanut butter
    Oatmeal with fruit (if you get an electric water heater you can make instant in your room- I was very reluctant to use the hall stove cuz I'm lazy honestly. Also good for tea)
    Carrots/other veggies with salt and spices for crunchy snacks
    A few nuts for fatty craving (I get shelled ones so I dont inhale them)
    Hummus and veggies
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Saying that you "can't" do something when you know you need to do it is a fail. I don't "cheat". I choose what I will and won't eat. I have a few hard rules that I never break (because I don't like being sick and bingeing) and I eat delicious food with lots of healthy fat. The way I eat now is sustainable for my whole life. I have an very occasional treat that is not part of my everyday plan but it's not a "cheat" just a "choice" to indulge responsibly.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I agree with the 'It's all about choice'. You make a choice every day, even every meal. I preplan my day and package foods I can take to work. I also don't think of it as cheating, it's choosing, I choose to eat healthier, and bonus is that usually healthier choices allow you to eat more (volume wise) which is more filling in the long run. Stop telling yourself you can't and start telling yourself you can! Because you can find a healthy, sustainable calorie deficit and fit the foods you love into that deficit. Take a look at my diary. I eat chocolate every day and I have managed to lose 30 pounds since April. It's about longevity and sustainability. Good luck!
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    A little thing called WILLPOWER LOL
  • Bellasarah28
    Bellasarah28 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If willpower was so readily available I doubt a lot of us would need MFP. :)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

If you are coming off of eating 10,000 calories a day and only drinking soda and going to 2000 calories of eating clean foods only and water, I bet you could lose all that weight in a month! That's what is so great about the first week or so of changing your lifestyle, weight just falls off and people are hooked!

LOL yeah cannot even begin to imagine that at all. I lost 3 lb my first month even starting at 262. Some people really eat low-ish calories even with junk food. I once logged what I considered my WORST days pre-MFP just to see what my cal count was and it would have been like 3,200 max.