Is it okay to go running in the rain?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hence, ive started to run in the rain. However, I'm afraid of the repercussions it may bring, like will I develop a pneumonia over time? Is rainwater bad for my hair?? Etc!

Lamest attempt at a troll thread, ever.
  • fangmouse
    Options
    Hence, ive started to run in the rain. However, I'm afraid of the repercussions it may bring, like will I develop a pneumonia over time? Is rainwater bad for my hair?? Etc!

Yes that's because it IS NOT a troll thread or I wouldn't be replying? And my mum told me to avoid running in the rain because she believes that it will make you fall ill and a couple of my friends said the same, that's why I'm asking. If anyone's a troll here, it would be you.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Should I wear like a rain coat when I run? I heard I should wear a hat to protect my head (for body temperature regulation) and all that. Is it necessary? What do you guys wear?

I dress up like the Gorton's Fisherman
    gortons-fisherman.gif
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Should I wear like a rain coat when I run? I heard I should wear a hat to protect my head (for body temperature regulation) and all that. Is it necessary? What do you guys wear?

Yes. Do wear a rain coat and a rain hat. I sometimes dress like a fisherman when I run in the rain. Boots and all.

Pics, or it didn't happen
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running in the rain in the summer, but it is winter now, so if it is raining, chances are it is freezing rain, So not my cup a tea. I did get caught in some hail last week, not enjoyable one bit.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Is it okay to go running in the rain?

Are you Wicked Witch of the West ?

[ ] Yes [X] No. It's OKAY to run in the rain
    [X] Yes [ ] No. It is NOT okay to run in the rain
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Unless it's acid rain. I don't see a problem. Wow!?
  • SirDoctorofTARDIS
    SirDoctorofTARDIS Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes it is ok. But, you must sing in the rain.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Unless you're water-soluble, I don't see what the problem is.

I suppose if you consistently run in the rain for hours at a time...or if you have improper footwear/socks...then you could develop some funky fungus problems...or even just some chafing...but assuming you have good non-cotton socks and shoes that drain, I just don't see a problem.

And now I'll read the responses in this thread and see what I missed.
  • sleroux14
    Options
    The worst thing is that you will get wet ! That's all !
  • Maccbow
    Maccbow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Lately, the weather at my area has been going crazy, raining everyday at the time that I'm supposed to run - around the evening time. It's the only time I can exercise because I have school and all that.

What are your experiences with this?

If you can run, RUN!!! Running, in sun, wind, rain, snow, light, dark, inside, or outside... is just an absolute JOY! If you can run, then RUN. Just dress appropriately for every occassion, and take care of yourself. Running is a blessing. ENJOY every minute of it!! :happy:
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    You guys make fun, but where do ya'll think puddles come from?

Runners with bad hair who have melted, that's where.

Read a book sheeple.

Seriously.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I have, the rain wasn't going to stop me if I'm already out there!!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I ran this morning in drizzling rain and 39 degrees. Loved it. Good way to earn your shower.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Read a book sheeple.

Seriously.

Ewwwww!

You mean I've been splashing in...

...PEOPLE?!!!??
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Yes that's because it IS NOT a troll thread or I wouldn't be replying? And my mum told me to avoid running in the rain because she believes that it will make you fall ill and a couple of my friends said the same, that's why I'm asking. If anyone's a troll here, it would be you.
    This is a very old misconception with a small amount of truth to it. Going out when you're wet and it's cold will cause your immune system to weaken slightly, which might be enough to make you contract a cold or flu virus if you're already carrying it. It won't make you sick in and of itself. So unless you've recently been exposed to the cold viruses, you'll be fine.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Read a book sheeple.

Seriously.

Ewwwww!

You mean I've been splashing in...

...PEOPLE?!!!??

Not people! Runners with bad hair. Pay attention.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    OP- not to sound off, but are you a bit fat? I ask this because i'm a bit fat and i run in the rain. when you're a bit fat, you're at extra risk of chafing- for me particularly around the bingo wings. I wear running tights (so my fat thighs can glide off each other regardless of how soggy my pants are), and i also wear a long sleeve compression top under my tshirt to stop the upper arm rubbage.
    Also, if you are a bit fat, then the chances are you'll heat up pretty early into a run. Even when it's cold and raining I never wear a coat because I'm only cold for the 1st 3 minutes. After that i'm a big sweaty, jiggly, slowly moving heap.
    If it's really cold where you are, and you're not fat, then it's going to be a case of trial and error to see what works for you. Wear a hat if you want- but not one that soaks up water because that won't be helpful. Wear jackets that you can tie around your waist, or those that breathe so you don't get too hot or too cold.
    And don't worry about your hair. It will still be on your head when you've finished.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I am from Oregon and I can truthfully say "you will rust."

Shirley
  • elmr34
    elmr34 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I run in the rain I try to wear synthetic clothes that won't get heavy when soaked in rain or keep my body really wet. If it is pretty cold I have a very light completely waterproof jacket I wear but I only wear it if it is really cold because it makes me super hot otherwise. I always wear cotton/synthetic mix socks so they will never get completely soggy with rain/sweat.

Sometimes when I run in the rain I just feel so happy that I was able to get outside and enjoy the outdoors instead of sitting inside being grumpy because it is raining.

My dog does hate running in the rain so I will leave him home- what can I say, he is kind of a wimp.