I'm falling out of cardio by the week

Options
I used to be all about cardio. I've been doing cross country from middle through high school, and now in college I started weight training. But over the past few months I've had less energy to do cardio because I've been cutting while weight training.

Nowadays I find running really boring if it's on a treadmill (I used to be fine with it). Running outside would be okay I guess, if it were nicer outside. Swimming is the only cardio I really do, and not much of it.

I guess I'm okay with weight training replacing cardio. My only concern is maintaining cardiovascular health.

What are your thoughts on replacing cardio with weight training?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's fine really. You do get a good CV workout with weights IF you put in a good effort, more similar to a HIIT than LISS cardio.

Cardio is for burning calories and being better at cardio, so if that's not a priority right now, it's no biggy.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Do burpees, mountain climbers, etc that are total body exercises that are good for both strength training and cardiovascular fitness.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Look at doing some intervals or HIIT work. I did about 15-20 minutes 1-2x a week and it seemed to work really well for me.
  • getfitozkis
    Options
    Traditional Cardio workouts are not the most effective way to shed body fat and improve your overall fitness. Your time can be used much more efficiently to achieve the body and level of fitness you desire by combining short burst interval workouts with strategically designed supersets of dumbbell and bodyweight exercises. It only takes three, 45-minute sessions a week to achieve dramatic results.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    You can run in any weather, just wear the proper attire ...

ETA: HIIT sprintervals ...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on replacing cardio with weight training?

It depends on what your goals are.