Price of eggs

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    agreed...lol some people have money to blow, but im not one of them..regardless, you are eating their babies so just because marketing has made you think that your somewhat better because you only eat the babies of chickens who are treated well is idiotic...Im not believing the hype, they taste the same to me too.

Some of us have pointed out that taste ISN'T the important part. They taste the same to me, too.

I don't just eat the babies--I also eat the chickens themselves! Yum, chickens! And yeah, ethically, if I'm taking a life I'd like to show some respect for it, and for the human beings who work in the food industry. And, like, the planet. Sorry.

I don't have money to blow. So I don't eat huge amounts of eggs and meat. I eat what I can afford to.

I'm not sure how you can be "respectful" to a chicken, dead or alive. It's a chicken. :huh:
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't know that free range organic eggs from the market are any better than the regular ones cause they aren't all that fresh anyway. If you can get eggs straight from the farmer though, it is amazing how much better a fresh egg is compared to any that are at the supermarket.

I was getting them from a farmer, but I started to question how old the eggs were. No dates anywhere. Just his word that they were fresh. I went back to getting them from a health food store.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm an egg snob, too. I buy local eggs and depending of who I get them from run anywhere from $3-5 a dozen.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    average 3 dollars a dozen here in san diego.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    After reading this post, I am having breakfast for dinner. :)
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I buy my eggs from the local farmers' market for £5 for 30 eggs, they're free range, fresh and delicious!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    The duck eggs I go after are $3 per half dozen. :(
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Options
    agreed...lol some people have money to blow, but im not one of them..regardless, you are eating their babies so just because marketing has made you think that your somewhat better because you only eat the babies of chickens who are treated well is idiotic...Im not believing the hype, they taste the same to me too.

The egg isn't fertilized.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Depends where you live. I have a store called Aldi's that I go to, eggs are .69 cents a dozen. Milk was $1.99/gallon last time too :happy: Not every place has them though ... they're mostly in the southeast and midwest. The local grocery store has eggs for 1.48/dozen, and that's more than my broke butt is willing to pay!

Aldi must vary from place to place. I'm in Missouri and the Aldi store near me sells eggs for $1.29 or $1.39/dozen! Milk there is around $2 for a HALF gallon. Still not bad, though.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

To believe that the environment in which an animal lives has no bearing on the quality of the food it produces seems a little naive.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm so lucky to have friends with chickens! Mine are fresh and FREE! :bigsmile:
  • nikki6_2002
    nikki6_2002 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I rarely look at the cost of the food I put in my cart, if I need something I get it. Tonight I picked up a dozen eggs. When the heck did they jump to $2.08?!?!?!? Is this the going price these days?:ohwell:

Wow, don't come to Australia, those eggs are down right cheap!! we pay between $3 and $6 a dozen. Enough to have made me get my own chickens, but our entire cost of living is very high.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

To believe that the environment in which an animal lives has no bearing on the quality of the food it produces seems a little naive.

It's more than naive, it's ignoring well known realities. I raise both free range organic chickens and pork - the difference in taste in the meat is astounding. I use our neighbour's eggs, also organic free-range - the colour, consistency, texture and taste of the eggs is markedly different than typical grocery store eggs.

If the differences are not important to someone, that's totally fine, eat what you like. But to pretend they aren't there is ridiculous.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Same here. I really wish I could keep my own chickens.

No, you don't, they're a giant pain in the *kitten*.

Trust me on this...

:laugh:
  • jilltaylor86
    jilltaylor86 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm a self confessed egg snob too. I go for the pastured eggs. You pay through the nose for them (5$ per dozen) but they are so good, and healthy. The yolks are bright orange!

this.

I pay $4.99 for the pastured raised eggs. They really do cook/taste better.
    Me too. Worth every cent.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I pay £2.75 for a dozen eggs, which is something like $5!

I never really thought whether that was cheap or expensive, as you said before, I rarely think about the price of stuff I buy from the supermarket, until now that is anyway!
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I buy Egglands best eggs. They are 4.00 or more for 18 eggs. I LOVE them though. They taste significantly different to me than any other eggs. I hate how much they cost but nothing else compares. Bleh.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I rarely look at the cost of the food I put in my cart, if I need something I get it. Tonight I picked up a dozen eggs. When the heck did they jump to $2.08?!?!?!? Is this the going price these days?:ohwell:

Makes you wonder what they feed the chickens.

Sometimes we get our eggs from the nearby Smart and Final (forgot how much that is). Other times, I get a break on the price through my Vons or Ralphs card.
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    Come to alberta and pay up to $5 a dozen. I get them fresh from the neighbor, farm fresh at $2 a dozen.
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    Same here. I really wish I could keep my own chickens.

No, you don't, they're a giant pain in the *kitten*.

Trust me on this...

:laugh:

No they're not. Trust me on this....