Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low Carb High Fat Diet - can someone please help?

Hi everyone,

I started a Low Carb High Fat lifestyle (end of October 2013) and I am really loving it (lost about 2+ kilos so far ). I was 64.6 kilograms. There is one thing that is confusing me. I would really appreciate it if anyone else who is low carbing can help me please?

What is confusing me is the ratio of protein is stated as '1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight per day'.

I weigh 61.8 kilos and am 5 foot 2 inches.

Is anyone able to calculate for me how much protein I can have a day. I am calculating it at 61 grams of protein a day which doesn't seem to be enough!

Thanks so much :)

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    61.8 grams of protein a day. I'd recommend that as an absolute minimum. Shoot for 80+ a day.
  • oneday987
    oneday987 Posts: 41 Member
    Hi jonnythan,

80 + grams. I am still confused. I usually have a steak for dinner that weighs 200 grams, plus all the other protein such as eggs, bacon, etc.? per day. This is why I don't understand. Is it possible to explain in more clear terms please?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    I eat low carb, high fat too and my protein probably averages out to somewhere about 85g. I think you're absolutely fine to bump it up to 80g like jonnythan suggested. Just be sure you're eating more fat than protein and more protein than carbs and you'll do great.

Edited to add:
    If you open up your diary I'd be happy to take a look and make suggestions. The majority of your calories should be coming from fat.
  • oneday987
    Thanks Alabaster ... so I can understand - can you explain how many grams would be in my 200 gram steak to put it into perspective ... would it be 20 grams?
  • try 1g per pound you weigh
  • Thanks Alabaster ... so I can understand - can you explain how many grams would be in my 200 gram steak to put it into perspective ... would it be 20 grams?

you could look it up in the database
  • jonnythan
    Hi jonnythan,

80 + grams. I am still confused. I usually have a steak for dinner that weighs 200 grams, plus all the other protein such as eggs, bacon, etc.? per day. This is why I don't understand. Is it possible to explain in more clear terms please?

A steak that weighs 200 grams doesn't have 80 grams of protein. Like a human body, meat is made mostly of water. There's also fat, connective tissue, etc. So a 200 gram steak might have only 35 grams of protein.

Assuming you're tracking your food using MFP, you can see on your diary how many grams of protein you're eating. You want to finish with about, i suggest, at least 80 grams every day.
  • jonnythan
    Thanks Alabaster ... so I can understand - can you explain how many grams would be in my 200 gram steak to put it into perspective ... would it be 20 grams?

Depends on the steak. 200 grams of ribeye without the fat trimmed off might have 30 grams of protein. 200 grams of trimmed sirloin might have 40. Look at the label, or if there is no label you'll have to look it up here:
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • AlabasterVerve
    It's going to depend on the cut of meat but I just checked a few different kinds of steak from the data base and they were 46g - 61g of protein for 200g.

Have you been logging your food in your diary here? If you haven't even doing it for a week or two would really help with planning your food for the day and you'll see exactly how much protein is in the foods you're eating.
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Hi everyone,

I started a Low Carb High Fat lifestyle (end of October 2013) and I am really loving it (lost about 2+ kilos so far ). I was 64.6 kilograms. There is one thing that is confusing me. I would really appreciate it if anyone else who is low carbing can help me please?

What is confusing me is the ratio of protein is stated as '1 gram of protein per kilogram of body weight per day'.

Is anyone able to calculate for me how much protein I can have a day. I am calculating it at 61 grams of protein a day which doesn't seem to be enough!

Protein - common recommendation is at least 0.91 g/lb/day (2 g/kg/day), of LBM, goal weight, or current weight. therefore as you weigh 61.8kg currently you would want about 124g of protein a day.
  • oneday987
    Thanks everyone - it's starting to make sense :)

@ AlabasterVerv - I will start to log into the food diary as per your advice.

@ jonnythan - thanks for the link - I will have a look now.
  • oneday987
    Thanks AlabasterVerve.

I have kept a written diary. I will include the information into my diary and get back to you. It would be really helpful if you would look at it if it isn't too much trouble.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    I use 1.5 g protein per kg lean body mass.
  • jonnythan
    Hi everyone,

Protein - common recommendation is at least 0.91 g/lb/day (2 g/kg/day), of LBM, goal weight, or current weight. therefore as you weigh 61.8kg currently you would want about 124g of protein a day.

You have to take lbm, age, and activity level into account too.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Thanks AlabasterVerve.

I have kept a written diary. I will include the information into my diary and get back to you. It would be really helpful if you would look at it if it isn't too much trouble.
    I don't mind at all. :smile: Be sure to set your diary to Public when you're finished -- you can change it under Settings/Diary Settings.
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Hi everyone,

Already mostly done. In fact, the common recommendation is already "more" than safe according to this:-

http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
    ...there is simply no empirically substantiated reason to think we need more than 0.82g/lb of protein per day.

The only people that may actually need more protein than 0.82g/lb are people with unusually high levels of anabolic hormones. Androgen or growth hormone users definitely fall into this category, but I don’t exclude the possibility that some adolescents do too. If you reach peak testosterone production while still growing (in height), your unusually high levels of growth hormone and testosterone might increase your protein requirements. Or not. There’s no research to support it. Those rare individuals with amazing bodybuilding genetics could also qualify, but unless your father happens to be a silverback gorilla, you are most likely just like other humans in this regard.
  • oneday987
    Hi AlabasterVerv,

I've completed my food diary for today. How do I open it so you can analyse it?
  • jonnythan
    Hi everyone,

Already mostly done. In fact, the common recommendation is already "more" than safe according to this:-

http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
    ...there is simply no empirically substantiated reason to think we need more than 0.82g/lb of protein per day.

"The only people that may actually need more protein than 0.82g/lb are people with unusually high levels of anabolic hormones. Androgen or growth hormone users definitely fall into this category, but I don’t exclude the possibility that some adolescents do too. If you reach peak testosterone production while still growing (in height), your unusually high levels of growth hormone and testosterone might increase your protein requirements. Or not. There’s no research to support it. Those rare individuals with amazing bodybuilding genetics could also qualify, but unless your father happens to be a silverback gorilla, you are most likely just like other humans in this regard".

So the OP has 0% body fat?

She's 62 kg. Probably around 25-30% bf, give or take. That gives about 42 kg lbm. That gives about 80 g protrin a day for 2g/kg lbm/day as you state.
  • jonnythan
    Hi AlabasterVerv,

I've completed my food diary for today. How do I open it so you can analyse it?

You need to make it public.

Click food, settings, then select public at the bottom AMD hit save.