Anybody else ever get this way?

Options
Maryaly40
Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
I'm beginning to hate the gym. I love working out, I don't mind running on the treadmill, I positively LOVE lifting weights. Then it happens, one of the "regulars" notices me. He starts smiling and saying hi. Sees me, then waves to me from across the gym. I'm normally a very friendly person. When I'm at work, I smile and talk to most everybody. At the gym, I feel more self concious than I did when I was fat! I start to feel very shy, embarrassed, nervous. Sometimes, this feeling gets so overwhelming I have to cut my workout short and leave. I'll be thinking" why is he looking at me"? Yes, I know, there's no self love when I'm at the gym which really makes no sense to me either. Anybody else ever feel like this?

Replies

• rosemary98
    Options
    I don't like it either. i try to go when it is less busy. but a few times someone i used to work with (and genuinely like as a person) saw me and made a few comments like "pick up the pace." it wasn't meant to be rude or anything. i just prefer to go unnoticed.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I grunt and drop weights so everyone knows I'm stronger than them...
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Smile, put in your earbuds/headphones and go kick some *kitten*. Ignore it :)
    He starts bugging you, take priority in your music so he takes the point. If he doesn't keep interrupting him to "change your music".
    He will bleep off eventually as the interest wasn't reciprocated.
  • PolkaDot_Princess
    PolkaDot_Princess Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    stick your headphones in and avert your eyes ;-)

DONT let it stop you from getting in your workout!
  • sassyrayofsunshine
    sassyrayofsunshine Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Just take it as a compliment. He obviously notices you are a regular too. may be nothing. don't worry about it. wave back and go on about your workout.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    As a social person I have never been that way no matter the situation but I also would not let it interfere with my workout...If people want to talk they will have to do it listening to me gasp desperately for air and sweat like a fool,....
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to hate the gym. I love working out, I don't mind running on the treadmill, I positively LOVE lifting weights. Then it happens, one of the "regulars" notices me. He starts smiling and saying hi. Sees me, then waves to me from across the gym. I'm normally a very friendly person. When I'm at work, I smile and talk to most everybody. At the gym, I feel more self concious than I did when I was fat! I start to feel very shy, embarrassed, nervous. Sometimes, this feeling gets so overwhelming I have to cut my workout short and leave. I'll be thinking" why is he looking at me"? Yes, I know, there's no self love when I'm at the gym which really makes no sense to me either. Anybody else ever feel like this?

inb4 somebody makes a joke about the part in bold.

indiana-jones-popcorn-reaction-gif.gif
  • rosemary98
    Options

temple of doom?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

being unoriginal on the internet is a crime punishable by public ridicule, so you just ruined it for everyone...
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I'm actually kinda shocked you didn't jump to the conclusion that "oh my God this creepy guy at the gym keeps hitting on me." Proud of ya OP.

I make it a point to say hi or wave in passing at gym regulars. Mostly because sometimes I need a spot and want to have someone at least a tiny but familiar to ask...also it never hurts to network (just the business portion of me)

I've also learned a wealth of knowledge from previous strangers at the gym as well as been invited to things like running groups and etc.

Sorry if your one of the types I make uncomfortable. As another poster said, if you keep your headphones on than people like me will usually just give ya a nod in passing bc I don't want to mess ya up when you're in the zone.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

being unoriginal on the internet is a crime punishable by public ridicule, so you just ruined it for everyone...

you're just jealous! :angry:
  • Maryaly40
    Options
    I'm actually kinda shocked you didn't jump to the conclusion that "oh my God this creepy guy at the gym keeps hitting on me." Proud of ya OP.

I make it a point to say hi or wave in passing at gym regulars. Mostly because sometimes I need a spot and want to have someone at least a tiny but familiar to ask...also it never hurts to network (just the business portion of me)

I've also learned a wealth of knowledge from previous strangers at the gym as well as been invited to things like running groups and etc.

Sorry if your one of the types I make uncomfortable. As another poster said, if you keep your headphones on than people like me will usually just give ya a nod in passing bc I don't want to mess ya up when you're in the zone.

I think the problem is that it's the attractive ones that make me :blushing: This is when I get a little shy and embarrassed. I'm flattered by all means, don't get me wrong. The day he waved to me from across the gym I thought that was the sweetest thing! I'm sure I could learn alot from some of these regs, if I could just get over myself and not give a crap......does that make sense? lol
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    People don't smile at me at the gym.. I wear a shirt that says Don't you F***in look at me.. Followed by a constant mean mug... you should try it.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My wife is real shy in the classes and I am called the mayor cause I talk to everyone of all ages. So I told her
    in body pump or spin, say hello to the person on your left and right and you will have more friends and encouragement
    than you could ever want. Most people at the gym are there for the same reason you are, to get in better shape and build
    everyday confidence.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

I think the problem is that it's the attractive ones that make me :blushing: This is when I get a little shy and embarrassed. I'm flattered by all means, don't get me wrong. The day he waved to me from across the gym I thought that was the sweetest thing! I'm sure I could learn alot from some of these regs, if I could just get over myself and not give a crap......does that make sense? lol

Yeah, I get what you are saying. Sometimes certain social situations are tougher than others even if you are a social person in other aspects. It's funny how our heads are wired sometimes. If it throws you off too much then you could always be the first one to wave and pop in your headphones and get on with your workout. Kinda opens and shuts the door quickly at your own comfort level.
  • Maryaly40
    Options

Yeah, I get what you are saying. Sometimes certain social situations are tougher than others even if you are a social person in other aspects. It's funny how our heads are wired sometimes. If it throws you off too much then you could always be the first one to wave and pop in your headphones and get on with your workout. Kinda opens and shuts the door quickly at your own comfort level.

You seem cool and thanks for the advice! I also think I'll stop over-thinking this too. :smile:
  • PolkaDot_Princess
    PolkaDot_Princess Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    People don't smile at me at the gym.. I wear a shirt that says Don't you F***in look at me.. Followed by a constant mean mug... you should try it.

ahahahahah i literally just laughed out loud!!