calories in homecooked....?

Options
I remember now why I had issues counting calories before....

I'm about to make dinner, so I was trying to log my calories. I'm going to make Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts with Cream of Mushroom soup over them while their cooking...

So, how do i figure out how many calories I'm going to eat of the Cream of Mushroom? I only eat the chicken, I don't pour the sauce over it after I put it on my plate, so it seems wrong to me to count a whole serving of it, which is 1/2 cup. But since it's cooked in it, I know there would be some calories from the soup, unless the calorie fairy comes and takes them.... but she won't...

Can anyone help me?

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I would just estimate how much of the cream of mushroom soup that you consumed......1/8 of a cup?
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Try the recipe tool, you can enter all the ingredients you used and how many portions you think it will done, and it will give you the amount of calories and nutrients...
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Honestly I probably wouldnt count it :ohwell:
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I agree, use the recipe tool. It can be time consuming, but the nice thing is if you eat the same foods you just have to check them and add. Plus it lets you account for all those little things that really can add up. Otherwise, I'd divide the can evenly based on total servings of chicken.
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    When I make fajitas, I marinate the chicken or cook it in a marinade in the crockpot. I estimate that I get about 1 Tbsp of marinade per serving. I would tgink that you probably get about 1/8 cup with 1 whole chicken breast if you aren't taking any extra gravy.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    Try the recipe tool, you can enter all the ingredients you used and how many portions you think it will done, and it will give you the amount of calories and nutrients...

that is exactly how you do it :smile: it's easy!
  • kami28
    kami28 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the great advice.

I used the recipe tool so it would be saved in here for another time. It added 50 calories (equal to half a serving, 1/4 c) to the chicken, which is 110.

And, it was fantastic, if I do say so myself. :happy: I put freshly ground italian seasoning and lemon & pepper in the soup before pouring it over the chicken...mmmm.... On top of that, the whole meal came out to 350 calories.
    We had the chicken, green beans, and stuffing.

Thanks to everyone here, taking steps toward losing this weight has been much more fun than I ever expected. I know there will be bad days as well as the good, but all of you make it so much easier.