Call for help... not losing any weight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• cheek72
    Options
    I am just trying to suggest different courses of action. The big meals don't work for me and I actually feel better and am able to track things like snacks easier if I track them by time. Before I changed it, I would look back at my diary and try to remember what part of the day I ate almonds. All about trying to find out what works best for you.
  • Emajination
    Options
    Whats your height weight and age? And how long is your workout routine?

My height is 5'7, age 43 and my workouts range from 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am just trying to suggest different courses of action. The big meals don't work for me and I actually feel better and am able to track things like snacks easier if I track them by time. Before I changed it, I would look back at my diary and try to remember what part of the day I ate almonds. All about trying to find out what works best for you.

I think we understand it and it's awesome that it is working for you, but from a weight loss standpoint and metabolic standpoint, increasing meals or for that matter, decreasing meals has NO effect on either. If calories are equal, meal timing and frequent don't have an effect.

As a side note, it takes 72 hours straight with no food to have an impact on your metabolism.
  • psuLemon
    Options

how about weight?
  • Emajination
    Options
    I've been using MFP on my phone and never knew there was a community online. Everyone has such a wealth of knowledge and I can take something from each persons post. I love the different viewpoints.

Each of you have helped me more than you know and have encouraged me.. I feel so much better than when I initially wrote the post!!!

Thank you again..
  • psuLemon
    Options

I would set your calories at 1800 (macro's at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats) and log everything with a food scale and daily. This is critical to understanding your success. What you can do is add 200 calories until you hit 1800. So do 1 week at 1200 (while logging daily) and then add 200 calories the following week, etc.. Once you hit 1800, stay there for 1 month to see progress. This is actually average for women (see below). So try not to be scared of 1800 calories, think of it like you get the ability to eat more delicious food. Remember, food is fuel.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day
  • cheek72
    Options
    Completely untrue. You cannot say that if you have a 1500 calorie intake goal that you should eat it all for dinner. Weight loss may go with calorie intake, but your metabolism decides at what rate they are burned. Maybe from a weight loss view, eating more or less meals doesn't matter. But putting your body into starvation mode does not help your metabolism. That is really just common sense.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    try eating 5-6 times a day also. Keep your metabolism up by eating a good sound breakfast with protein and fiber. This will start your day out and allow for your body to feel full longer. If you want to look at my diary, I set it up for times of day and not the 3 meals. It helps me track what I am eating and when. I got that tip from a fitness trainer that set up my program here in the Army.

^nonsense. Number of meals makes no difference. Everyone is different. I can eat one or two big meals per day and eating breakfast is NOT my thing, and if I do eat breakfast it's fat and maybe protein, no sugar. Fasting is my friend. I do NOT feel full longer with small meals and volume of the food (huge servings of low calorie foods) does ZERO for my satiety- in fact it makes me hungrier. I feel full longer by eating very nutrient dense foods. My meals may look small on the plate but I am FULL. Fat is my best friend. Not only am I losing my excess body fat but the health improvements have been amazing.

Going into "starvation mode" from skipping breakfast? Seriously? Wow, I'm doing it all wrong. I must be such a special snowflake to be having all the health success that I am having even though I'm not grazing constantly.
  • cheek72
    Options
    You should try reading the whole thread, but then again English may not be your strong suit. It was a suggestion...a suggestion to help someone. You have added nothing to this thread besides a picture and a smart *kitten* comment. This is why I don't respond on these stupid *kitten* sites. METABOLISM. look it up lady
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Actually Cheek, you're the one that should be doing some research. Starvation mode doesn't exist in the context you are using it. A person would need to be eating at an extreme calorie deficit for a very long time for the body to go into a state of survival.

There are many, MANY successful people on MFP who eat one or two meals a day in one shot and they are either still happily losing or happily maintaining. Your body is not a clock...it doesn't care when or how much at a time you feed it as long as you actually feed it what it needs on a daily basis. Then it's happy as a clam. The way you think is what makes a difference. For instance, you feel better eating as you do. Others however really don't.
  • Emajination
    Options
    You should try reading the whole thread, but then again English may not be your strong suit. It was a suggestion...a suggestion to help someone. You have added nothing to this thread besides a picture and a smart *kitten* comment. This is why I don't respond on these stupid *kitten* sites. METABOLISM. look it up lady

I took what you said into consideration please don't hesitate to respond.. you actually said the same thing as a friend of mine ;)
    I have to find what works for me.. if its eating 5 to 6 small meals or 3 meals w/ snacks..
    I appreciate both of your opinions.
  • Emajination
    Options

I would set your calories at 1800 (macro's at 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats) and log everything with a food scale and daily. This is critical to understanding your success. What you can do is add 200 calories until you hit 1800. So do 1 week at 1200 (while logging daily) and then add 200 calories the following week, etc.. Once you hit 1800, stay there for 1 month to see progress. This is actually average for women (see below). So try not to be scared of 1800 calories, think of it like you get the ability to eat more delicious food. Remember, food is fuel.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day

Awesome that makes sense.. I was scared of eating so many calories :( Does the 1800 include my exercise calories as well?

That's a great suggestion to add 200 calories gradually. Thank you for doing the calculations for me and posting the link
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Emajination, you said you had your goal set to 2lb loss a week, correct? I would readjust that to 1lb a week. If you only have 30lbs to lose, your current set-up is too aggressive. The closer to goal weight one is, the less a week they typically lose.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    IMHO, and i am not a professional anything regarding health, nutrition, or fitness, you need to give your body a day or 2 of rest from the exercising and track your food consistently. I don't track my food, but i already know it's an issue. so, i am working on making exercise consistent. THEN i will work on the food. I can't handle or stick with too many changes at once.
  • Emajination
    Options
    Emajination, you said you had your goal set to 2lb loss a week, correct? I would readjust that to 1lb a week. If you only have 30lbs to lose, your current set-up is too aggressive. The closer to goal weight one is, the less a week they typically lose.

Yes, its set to 2lbs a week... I didn't think it was agressive.. would it be better to set it to 1.5lb :).. 1lb just seems so low lol
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    IMHO, and i am not a professional anything regarding health, nutrition, or fitness, you need to give your body a day or 2 of rest from the exercising and track your food consistently. I don't track my food, but i already know it's an issue. so, i am working on making exercise consistent. THEN i will work on the food. I can't handle or stick with too many changes at once.

Beat me to it. Exercise is great but there is such a thing as overtraining. Take one or two rest days a week, give your body a chance to recover.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If you haven't lost a pound your caloric intake is too high. It really is that simple.

Start measuring your food and track it correctly.

ThiS^
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Working out everyday without rest is going to put your body into a state of panic. Take a rest day once a week or even twice a week. Log your food- eat within your limits, but make sure you get enough sleep and give your body time to rebuild. We don't build muscle working out- we build muscle when we rest AFTER we work out.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Just a tip: before you start eating more, I would try accurate logging first, and then reassess after a few weeks. Control one variable at a time in regards to intake.

good thought less is more sometimes gives you a chance to revaluate