Doctor visit: My success

Options
jrkingery
jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
This week was time for a check up with the local sawbones. I anticipated big kudos for my weight loss efforts and hoped that the combination of that and the exercise brought my blood pressure down from borderline high. During my annual physical last November I weighed in at about 260 pounds with a blood pressure of 140/100, borderline high blood sugar and cholesterol levels.

My visit this week went much better than I expected. My doctor almost didn't recognize me, I looked so different from the file photo they had from November that he updated it. The best part though was that my blood pressure was "Excellent" as he put it, at 114/61. He was also amazed that for losing so much weight that I didn't have much excess skin that causes some people who lose 50 to 75 pounds to request surgery. I can only guess that maintaining a sane rate of loss (1.5 to 2lbs per week) and a healthy diet gave my body time to compensate. Now I just have to wait for the results of the fasting blood test for my blood sugar and cholesterol levels. I'm sure they're down well within normal levels after all of the work I've been putting into getting myself into shape.

We spent most of the visit talking about what diet I was following and which exercise routine I was using. First I explained to him that I wasn't on a DIET, that I was on a budget, that I ate just about whatever I wanted but tracked every bite. I do this so that I wouldn't get discouraged by feeling that I was denied certain foods. My aversion to empty calorie fatty foods came when I saw how much they cost me out of my daily budget and how much real healthy food I could eat instead of a burger, fries, and a can of Cola.

Then we got into my exercise plan which started with walking 10,000 steps per day and climbing 5 flights of stairs at work. This turned into 15,000 steps per day and 28 flights of stairs over the course of a couple of months, then running 10 flights of stairs two times per day 4 days a week, then finally completing the C25K program and running 5 Kilometers three days per week and doing the 30 day shred workout three days a week between run days.

I grabbed my phone and showed him the MFP app for my iPhone and then the C25K App for good measure. He said that the MFP site looked very useful and that he would be recommending it to other patients to help with their weight loss goals.

All in all a major victory for me this week! No high blood pressure and it was nice to have my doctor shake my hand and congratulate me rather than tell me again that I needed to take better care of myself.

Replies

• myrazimmie
    myrazimmie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That's a great story... Congrats on all your hard work!
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Great work:)
  • TaraArriola
    Options
    Congrats. I can't wait until next year when I go to see my heart surgeon. I am hoping for the same kind of reaction.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I bet he is telling all the other doctors in your practice about you! Great job!
  • nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's a wonderful story. You're an inspiration!
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the doctor's visit and your weight loss. Keep up the good work.
  • trickyfoxster710
    trickyfoxster710 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    that is awesome! congrats
  • OlenaS
    OlenaS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This is really awesome! Congratulations to you :)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! It's victories like this that give us that extra push to finish it out and never turn back. Congrats on your accomplishments!
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    Congrats on all of your success!
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    way to go! thats so inspiring! hats off to you! :)
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Congrats. on a very well done. Awesome journey. Thanks so much for sharing. God Bless, brenda
  • st27
    st27 Posts: 101
    Options
    Wow, really great report. Iam so happy for you. You turned things around and found out what works for you. Congrats.!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!